fat/calories/carbs/protein confusion

Options
ok. im new here and wondered about the target numbers: the calories i get. am i supposed to be aiming at consuming the target number of carbs/protein/fat as well?? or is that just a suggestion and as long as im within calories or right at, i should be ok and still be able to lose weight? ps, i hope i am posting this correctly....

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It is important to eat a balanced diet - this means eating the right balance between carbs/protein/fat. This "right balance" is a little different for everyone. Personally I changed what MFP gave and increased my protein, because I felt it was too low. I eat 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat. I try to stay pretty close to that. Others eat lower carb diets and increase their protein & fat. You might want to try what MFP recommended and see if that works for you, and if not, you can tweak it by going to goals --> change goals --> personalized

It is important to watch the split between carbs/protein/fat because if you eat way too many carbs or fat (especially the "bad" kinds) weight loss will be more difficult.
  • mamujaurola
    Options
    ok. im new here and wondered about the target numbers: the calories i get. am i supposed to be aiming at consuming the target number of carbs/protein/fat as well?? or is that just a suggestion and as long as im within calories or right at, i should be ok and still be able to lose weight? ps, i hope i am posting this correctly....
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    MFP has a default setting when you set up your goals, I believe it's 55% carbs, 15% protein, 30% fat....you can change that by going in under goals and selecting custom settings, otherwise your diet will be mostly carbs.....and yes, depending on how you set your ratios, you should be trying to get close to that target.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    MFP has a default setting when you set up your goals, I believe it's 55% carbs, 15% protein, 30% fat...

It's actually 65% carbs, 15% protein and 20% fat.
    IMO, that many carbs and that little protein is kind of insane. I know everyone is different but I personally felt like absolute crap when I was trying to eat those ratios when I first started.

Edit: I prefer 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I took an extensive quiz one time that kind of profiled your response to food and all that. It told us he responds well to a high protein, low carb diet, while I do better with a fairly even distribution (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% healthy fat). it made a lot of sense because we'd both done Atkins a few years back, he lost like 35 pounds and felt great - and I lost only about 5 and felt like poop!

My point is (and I do have one) - try to find out what works best for you and adjust your percentages accordingly. Everyone's different! :smile:

Good luck with your goals!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    They are there as a guideline which can be changed as others have said. As long as you are within your calorie limit you should lose weight. In terms of your health, I think as long as you are not going too far below your calorie goal and are eating a good range of foods, the actual 'numbers' of carbs, protein and fat aren't all that relevant.
  • clyncross
    clyncross Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks for all the great input! i seem to be intent on sabotaging myself, so maybe this website will help me look at the numbers and stay on track better...we will see!
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    My hubby and I took an extensive quiz one time that kind of profiled your response to food and all that. It told us he responds well to a high protein, low carb diet, while I do better with a fairly even distribution (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% healthy fat). it made a lot of sense because we'd both done Atkins a few years back, he lost like 35 pounds and felt great - and I lost only about 5 and felt like poop!

My point is (and I do have one) - try to find out what works best for you and adjust your percentages accordingly. Everyone's different! :smile:

Good luck with your goals!

I do 40/30/30 as well. I find it's a better balance for me.