Any other picky eaters?

Options
I have never met anyone as picky as I am. And in some cases I'm picky towards things that helps me not to gain... like I wouldn't touch a hamburger or hotdog unless my life depended on me eating it and even then I'd hold my nose and fight really hard not to puke it back up. I don't like any pastas or sauces (with the except of sauce that's on pizza, but given the option I'll order it without sauce), not even ketchup. I refused to even eat a french fry until I was like 12 and even then I'm still picky about particular ones.

But on the other side I don't really like any vegetables either. For the most part I think it's the texture more than the taste. I won't eat anything soggy so even things like corn (which I know I like the taste since I like corn on the cob.. well I like it, I tolerate the texture) I won't eat because it's so mushy. I've tried getting myself to eat some raw vegetables because I thought texture would be better that way, but it's a work in progress, so far I've only tried carrots. The only fruits I really like are apples and bananas and I need to eat more of those, that's just my fault for not buying them.

The only meats I like are chicken (no bones!!) and steak, but I do love eating chicken and steak. I have in the past prepared baked boneless chicken or grilled boneless chicken that is probably the healthiest thing I like, I just get lazy about only cooking for one person.

Any other picky eaters? Or lazy eaters?

i really need to motivate myself to get out the habit of eating frozen foods like bagel bites for all my meals.

Replies

• muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Except I always stuck with chicken fingers and mac and cheese. lol I have been taking small steps towards branching out to try new foods. For example, I like oranges. So I tried to try things that are similar to oranges like grapefruits, lemons, limes. Same texture just different taste.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head, get over it. I work with a woman who is like that, she "doesn't like" any fruits, vegetables, nuts, almost any food you can think of really, and has never even tried most of them. I cannot stand it. I seriously think it's a mental disorder of sorts.
  • Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law eats almost the same things. On the upside it makes her a cheap date to bring to a restaurant. I joke about her "white" food diet. Since all the foods are white-ish in colour. Even the cheese better be a pale cheddar or mozzarella.
    She won't eat pasta at all, but she is seriously thinking about trying it because it would increase the number of places she could eat at.
    All breads
    Bananas
    Peanut butter
    Milk
    Cheerios
    Fries (only if they are crispy)
    Caesar salad (only lettuce, dressing &croutons)
    Chicken and turkey, no bones
    Cheese pizza, little or no sauce
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    As long as it is healthy, tasty and low in calories - stick with whatever you fancy as long as your macro nutrients are balanced.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Try foods every now and again even though you have memories of not liking them before. Sometimes it's the way they were prepared OR your tastes have changed and now you might find you like them!

I can't think of a single food I won't eat. I will avoid generic peanut butter and box Kraft mac&cheese though. I really don't like the tastes of those childhood staples, maybe because I never grew up with them?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head, get over it. I work with a woman who is like that, she "doesn't like" any fruits, vegetables, nuts, almost any food you can think of really, and has never even tried most of them. I cannot stand it. I seriously think it's a mental disorder of sorts.

Totally agree and a good reason not to let kids be that kind of eater. It's cute at 2, not so much at 30.
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That is about how I eat and I've always been told I'm a cheap date because I almost always order off the kid's menu.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making smoothies with the things you dislike? I don't really like kale or mangoes but got a Tropical Smoothie Cafe Island Green smoothie the other day, it was delicious. You can make your own smoothies at home using yogurt, low fat milk, veggies, fruits, protien powders, ground flaxseed, there are TONS of smoothie recipes, just google it and experiment.
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I agree it's in my head, I just don't know how to get it out.

Believe me, it's a social disaster being this way. I would force down a peanut butter sandwich (which I don't like most breads) and spend the rest of lunch trying not to gag just so I could be "normal". And it's still awful going to people's houses where they've prepared meals and trying to say you've already or eaten so as not to hurt their feelings. I'd prefer to suck it up and eat it, but it generally ends in throwing up. And I'm sure it's not so much my body rejecting it as it is my brain.

Even as a child though, my parents would sit me at the table for hours telling me I had to eat 3 bites or I couldn't get up. They had the pediatrician threaten to put a hole in my belly and tube feed me. For a long time I just accepted it and moved on since I stayed thin, but now I'm thinking as I get older healthy eating is more and more important and I have a toddler now so I want to model that.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you know it's more of a mental thing go see a counselor or maybe even an occupational therapist. They can give you the tools to move past your food aversions.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Wow.... haha
    I thought I was bad!!

I apparently eat everything compared to you! haha I feel better now. Thanks! :wink:

I don't like mayo. Any version of it. So I won't eat anything that has mayo. Even if its just a tiny bit. No deviled eggs, no egg salad, no tuna salad, no macaroni salad, no tartar sauce, etc....
    I don't like artichoke.
    I don't like vinegarettes. I don't like most salad dressings. I don't like vinegar. haha
    I don't like spicy foods, but I'm working on that.
    I never liked sushi, but I'm working on that too.

My boyfriend loves to try new foods so he is always pushing me to try things. And I love that, because I'm "scared" to try the new things because I might not like them. haha But at the same time, I really want to try the new things. So he is helping me with that.
    I don't like onions or peppers. But I love their flavor.

I used to hate sour cream ONLY because it reminded me of mayo. :laugh:

I don't like black olives. I don't like most pasta salads, because I don't really like the oily texture it gets.... But I tried my friend's pasta salad which had vegetable oil, black olives and artichoke hearts and I liked it. (ETA: I will only eat that one.... haha)

I usually pass on Indian food because it's too spicy and all I smell is curry. I don't like curry.
    Well, my boyfriend is Indian, so he has told me repeatedly I need to get over it. hahaha
    And I am working on it. If I have milk, I can deal with the spicy food. :wink:

I don't like oysters, clams, mussels, etc....
    Went to a friend's house for dinner and he had clams and mussels. I ate them. They weren't too bad. I am not a fan of the texture, and I won't order them off a menu, but I know that I can eat them without gagging. haha

I will NEVER touch eggplant parmesan. hahaha
    That's a family joke. My mom made it once, and I protested very loudly. I was probably about 7 yrs old. And a very stubborn child. She made me try it, and I just remember hating it with every fiber of my being. hahaha So now I won't go near it.

I used to hate tomatoes, brussel sprouts, celery, and mushrooms. I love them now.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Me too. It's awful. I'm slowly getting better but it's really hard.

Things I don't like:

Sausages, Burgers, Bacon, Mince, Offal, Prawns/Mussels/Crab etc, Soya/Quorn/Tofu products, most beans and lentils, almost all nuts, butter/margerine, milk, soft/blue/strong cheeses, fried/poached egg.

Onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, sweetcorn, peppers, beetroot, blackcurrants, bananas, cooked fruit, mashed potato

Custard, cream, citrus flavoured desserts, dark chocolate, dates/sultanas/raisins, pastry

Mayonnaise, salad cream, ketchup, mustard, marmite, marmalade, jam, horeseraddish, applesauce, bread sauce

Anything spicy (curries etc), Indian/Chinese/Thai/Italian/Greek/Mexican food

Coffee, tea, beer, wine, orange juice, lemonade

And that really is an improved list!
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you know it's more of a mental thing go see a counselor or maybe even an occupational therapist. They can give you the tools to move past your food aversions.

I agree with this. I am not a picky eater by any means (I eat EVERYTHING almost) but your aversions are somewhat extreme. Perhaps a therapist or even hypnosis might help you find out why you have them and work past them.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm very picky. i loathe pizza unless it is cooked just right and has to have no sauce, spaghetti-- no sauce.
    lasagna is UGLY.
    guacamole is not only ugly but has a weird texture..
    i dont do spicy foods.
    dislike most vegetables.
    too many foods that i hate to list.. I'll just say what I do like!

Steak, beef, meat, chicken, fish, poultry, protein...
    Tea, Coffee, and fruit salad.

Thats about it lol.

It is mostly that I rely heavily on smell and sight.. I can smell the slightest ingredients in most of my food and it is a turn off a lot of the time. The texture and color play a big part too, and green isn't my favorite color.