DOGS to run with....

Options
dreambodin2011
dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
Hi everyone - I am considering finally getting a pet dog for our family -- I would LOVE to hear from you if you have a pet dog that you jog/run with. Could you post a pic...tell me the breed and a little about the dog and how much they love to run with you? How frequently you take them out - how far etc? And the pros and cons of the breed - so far as you know at least :-)

I am sooo undecided about the breed, but I know I want to RUN with my new family member. Not too big, and obviously not too small either as otherwise I might need to carry them in a backpack or something ridiculous lol.

Thank you so much in advance!

Replies

• cmledwig
    cmledwig Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have three small dogs. Not sure how to post a pic in this area, but they are definitely characters, all in their own right.
    May I suggest, if you do decide to get a pet, consider adopting a shelter pet? There are so many who need good homes. And you would be making such a difference in an animals life!
    I walk with mine, and sometimes do some light jogging. They definitely keep me going! And they are loving, wonderful animals.!

Here's a link to their Facebook page. We try and spread the word about animals needing homes. Their names are Chuy and Daysie (half schnauzer and half terrier), and Dunnie (Half shih Tzu, half terrier). I call them my minions. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMischievousMarvelousMeanderingsOfTheMinions
  • sarahlynnekline
    Options
    A border Collie. They never run out of energy, weigh 35ish lbs, could easily be trained to run off leash, are the smartest dogs ever and LOVE kids!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My pup is on my profile pcs. He is 1.3 year old cocker mix, 25 lbs, great stamina. I got him from the pound as I suggest everyone should do. The younger the dog the more time you have to spend training them but the easier it is to start good habits. My dog already had bad habits because I got him at 10months but he learned so quickly. I adore him. He runs with me but he slows me down a bit because he stops to pee 600 times. Girl dogs wont stop as much.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    There areso many great mixes out there at the punds. Almost all dogs with non-smushed faces can outrun humans. Smushed faces makes breathing hard so they cant run for long. I encourage you to go to your local humane society and talk to the volunteers. They know the dogs well and can tell you who would be a good fit. Also, they fix them for you and sometimes microchip. German shepards and labs are prone to hip displaysia so when they are older they wont beable to run with you so keep that in mind.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Herding and hunting dogs are basically bred to run, so they can definitely keep up, if not outrun you.
    So get a dog like a border collie, shepherd or a labrador.

I would also recommend getting a dog from a shelter. This also has the added bonus that they are often trained by professional people at the shelter, who can also advice you on which of their dogs would best suit your activity level and your family's needs.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dog but my friend has a golden retriever and his is so old now (8 years old) that he just wants to sleep. Maybe you need a dog that likes walking briskly and won't want to return after 10 minutes.
  • motogsp
    motogsp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a German short hair pointer and she is about 40ish lbs they can get bigger then that she is on the small size. She has a ton of energy and need to run. She hunts during hunting season and she can go a good long time. She runs with me and does very well no need to worry about having to pick her up. I am currently only doing about 3 miles of jogging and little walking. I do plan to do more I am just getting back into it. When she get her run in she is super sweet lays in her kennel and just chills. If she doesn't get to run she can be a little bit of a hand full. There are different blood lines that will run bigger then others. I have a 3 year old and they get along awesome. The dog puts up with a lot of tail pulling and such stuff.
  • George1567
    George1567 Posts: 107
    Options
    I run with my yellow lab Apollo. He is 7 years old and weighs around 70 pounds. Since I am the limiting factor on distance his longest run has been around 12 miles. He runs off lead and is trained to the point where I have no issues with cats, rabbits, other dogs, people, whatever.....he stays at my side.

It has got to the point where he knows when I'm getting ready to run. Not sure if he keys in on the clothing, shoes, or what it is but he starts whining and spinning around. Once when I stayed home and my wife went out running he sat looking out the window and pretty much "cried". Had never seen or heard him act like that before.

Heat/humidity is something I pay close attention to when dogs are involved. I will never run in weather too cold for a dog, but heat can get to them much quicker. Just being smart about conditioning, time of day, and sun load can allow for summer runs with your dog.