HELP! Which foods are best on a low budget?

Options
2»

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Beans are your friend. $1 a pound or less. Very versatile.
  • tntmom87
    tntmom87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Beans are your friend. $1 a pound or less. Very versatile.

I'm really looking into the beans idea....I have a bunch of dry beans at home, but have never used them because I've never know what to make or how to use them! lol.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i eat a lot of eggs
    tuna (although higher in sodium i can do 2 cans a day & stay under my sodium limits)
    chicken
    oatmeal
    ground turkey (instead of ground beef)
    fresh fruit (i'm not a veggie person persay)
    ** most of these were already said, but if you're good with mondane like me, these will work for a while. I usually give myself these thruought the work day & then have a "normal" meal w/ the family - only exclusion is if there is any kinda of gravy or sauces i skip out and i substitute all my ground beef for ground turkey or chicken.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Hi everyone! I need some help. About two years ago, I lost nearly 30 pounds - and all the wrong way - by barely eating at all. I've since gained all the weight back, but I want to lose it the right way and change my habits in order to keep it off this time around. I want to start by changing my diet - but need your advice. My grocery budget is about $200/mo for 3 people (myself and my daughters ages 6 and 3). How can I adjust my diet to lose weight on that budget, and does anyone have any meal/snack plans? Thanks!

Thats double my sisters budget for 6!

Its doable, my sister changed her families unhealthy eating habits to healthy for pretty much the same amount as before.

Plan meals for the week... also stock up on store cupboared staples.

Make large meals and freeze half etc etc

repeated I know but eggs, frozen veggies, veggie stews are good.

Good luck :)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I eat beans or lentils with pretty much every meal.

I don't do anything special with them, I just cook them and eat them with a little soy sauce. I often mix in a little rice.

This might sound super boring to most people but I like to keep it simple. If I'm feeling fancy I'll fry some onions and mushrooms in oil and season with paprika, chili powder and summer savory and mix that in to the beans.

Make sure you soak your beans overnight! Lentils and mung beans can be cooked without soaking, though.
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I have planned meals before, which sometimes I feel is pointless because my girls NEVER eat anything I try to make - its a constant battle with them and usually dinner for them turns into cereal, grilled cheese, or spaghetti lol. So I guess I should say that if I'm actually making a real meal...its only for me. I generally get my fruits and veggies at Aldi's because they have fabulous produce prices, and I'm really good at sticking to my budget. But as far as formulating a HEALTHY (and easy) meal plan for myself...I'm just kind of lost.

I have three very picky eaters at home. I know what some say, "Cook it and make them eat it or starve" I can't do it. My children eat lots of mac and cheese and chicken nuggets. I hate it but that is the way life is right now. I try to concentrate on preparing healthy foods for me. In doing so , while continuing to cook for them, they have decided to "try" some of momma's food. I have them eating and liking a few more things now.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    You can really stock up on veggies when they are on sale. I don't know what sort of grocery stores are in your area, but I am in GA and we have Kroger and Publix and they have outstanding deals on frozen veggies!! Bogos and $1 a pack ~ plus both of those stores will double coupons. I can get veggies for about $.25 a bag when I really plan ahead and have my coupons ready :)

Oatmeal, eggs, chicken breast, ground turkey/chicken/lean beef, sweet potatoes, salads....you can make it work! I have a budget of $125 a week for 5 people ~ and while that sounds like a lot, I just went up on my budget a bit. It was $80-100 a week. But, that is for everything in our house hold. Two dogs (feed), a rabbit (litter for his cage and feed), cleaning supplies(again, coupons!!), toiletries...everything.
  • lindseymaekeller
    Options
    My bf and I are on a low budget too. We meal plan on mondays so we arent buying too many ingredients. Recently we ran out of ideas on a friday and did an eggs benedict of sorts with things we had in the kitchen. It was sort of an eggs benedict bowl if you will? It was brown rice, over medium eggs, red or black beans, onion and cilantro. It turned out REALLY good and was super cheap!!
  • tntmom87
    tntmom87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My bf and I are on a low budget too. We meal plan on mondays so we arent buying too many ingredients. Recently we ran out of ideas on a friday and did an eggs benedict of sorts with things we had in the kitchen. It was sort of an eggs benedict bowl if you will? It was brown rice, over medium eggs, red or black beans, onion and cilantro. It turned out REALLY good and was super cheap!!

That sounds really good! Might have to give that a try.
  • Radface
    Radface Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I'm a college student who pays for everything and I recently quit my third job, effectively reducing my meager income by at least 40%! So this is SO relevant to me, I loved reading the responses so far. :)

Usually I grocery shop two or three times a month, and net around 25-35 dollars a month, depending on whether I've run out of long-term goods like butter.

My personal staples:
    -Eggs
    -Beans (dried)
    -Steel-cut oats (I can turn $1.50 of bulk oats into at least 6 meals)
    -Kale/greens ($0.89/lb! Packed with nutrients and seem to be always seasonal)
    -Broccoli! Very filling for me.
    -Whatever fruits/vegetables are in-season enough to be cheap
    -Salsa (I buy this made in-store, so it's an inexpensive versatile condiment)
    -Frozen veggies -- stock up when they go on sale and then they last me forever!
    -Plain yogurt OR cottage cheese (a little expensive but they last me for some time)

Occasionals (bought once or twice a month):
    -Peanut butter
    -Soft taco tortillas (bean/veg tacos with salsa and plain yogurt are music to my ears)
    -Apples, bananas, or clementines
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I have planned meals before, which sometimes I feel is pointless because my girls NEVER eat anything I try to make - its a constant battle with them and usually dinner for them turns into cereal, grilled cheese, or spaghetti lol. So I guess I should say that if I'm actually making a real meal...its only for me. I generally get my fruits and veggies at Aldi's because they have fabulous produce prices, and I'm really good at sticking to my budget. But as far as formulating a HEALTHY (and easy) meal plan for myself...I'm just kind of lost.

I have three very picky eaters at home. I know what some say, "Cook it and make them eat it or starve" I can't do it. My children eat lots of mac and cheese and chicken nuggets. I hate it but that is the way life is right now. I try to concentrate on preparing healthy foods for me. In doing so , while continuing to cook for them, they have decided to "try" some of momma's food. I have them eating and liking a few more things now.

That is the way you are making life. I have a few picky eaters here too but I will not make them junk food. Now is the time to get them eating healthy so they get away from the junk. It's taken a bit but my kids are now so much more open to trying new foods and my 8 year old always asks....is it healthy? Or is it homemade? He loves it. Yes, it's up to them to eat it all but I do encourage taking 5 more bites and that gives them the bulk of what is left. I do allow them to have ketchup or sauce or cheese but that's it.

I have also made it a point to learn to cook their favourite junk foods to make them healthier.

Once you get them past the moans, it gets easier and everybody ends up happy but until you make changes, you're teaching them not to try new foods. A bite of your food really isn't trying new food either.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    one or 2 days a week cook cheep and health don't give in to the kids demands for kiddy food on those days. By giving in you teach them to manipulate you into giving them junk and they learn to eat junk. It has to be done slowly. You are not a restaurant they will learn that and you food budget will thank you. I have raised 2 kids who eat everything.
  • jane_bee
    jane_bee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Anything that's in a package is usually more $ per calorie. Buy whatever you can in bulk (rice, beans, oats, nuts). Also eggs and cottage cheese are lot of bang (energy) for your buck!