Cheat day/Cheat meal

Options
Who follows the idea that, mentally, we benefit from a break or cheat in our diet once in a while? I'm planning on going to an all you can eat buffet on friday night with my boyfriend. I'm hoping to fit in an hour of zumba before we go which should minimize such an overload in calories. But should I actively try and keep to my cals (which i reckon will be difficult considering the lack of nutritional information available) or should I just enjoy myself guilt free? I have a feeling keeping within my cals would consist more of starving myself throughout the day rather than controlling myself at the buffet. I WISH I was able to do that! lol

Replies

• WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just go enjoy yourself. A cheat meal 3 times a week or a cheat day won't hurt you.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I do, and it's never hindered my weight loss.

I've been maintaining for over 2 years now (ignore my ticker, I'm trying to build muscle now) and during my initial "weight loss journey", I had a cheat day once a week. I lost 18 lbs in a few months easily just by eating healthy and exercising.

I like to view cheat days/meals as a form of zig-zag dieting. In a way, it tricks your body into "always guessing" how many calories it will have to burn. Plus, it's a good way to keep you sane and help you focus less on letting the numbers rule your life.

A typical cheat day for me was usually partying on Friday nights...lots of booze and salty snacks, I'd occasionally go over my goal by about 1000 calories.

I still have cheat days.
    Today is mine, actually.

I'm eating coconut cream pie and playing drinking games.

Enjoy yourself, and don't feel guilty about indulging just a little. Just don't make a daily habit of it!
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you're prone to binges I'd say stick to your guns. No, the extra calories on one day won't ruin your diet. But if you're trying to change behaviors, not just count calories the rest of your life, you have to work on it all the time.

Just my opinion.
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Good for you, buffets are like the kiss of death for me since my eyes are way bigger than my stomach. I don't think a cheat MEAL is bad especially when few and far in between. I'm trying to work on more mindful eating. Maybe you can use this as an attempt to pick only the foods you really want, and in sensible portions. Listen to your stomach and stop eating when you aren't hungry any more (hard to do at an all-you-can-eat). If you can't, then just be extra diligent in the following days. It's all about balance. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be logging every single thing I eat for the rest of my life...
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would fill my plate with what looks good and try to avoid going back for second and thirds. That way you can enjoy the yummy food without going completely overboard. Although I usually eat what I want as long as it fits in my calorie allotment for the day. Just enjoy yourself. This is a lifestyle change not a diet :)
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I personally believe everyone deserves a cheat meal every week. It gives me something to look forward to every week and it's my reward to myself for working hard all week. I don't do a whole cheat day. To me that's overdoing it. I will have one cheat meal on either a Fri or a Sat. I don't do buffets though because of the fact that it's too much temptation to overeat. However, if it were me going to a buffet, I'd stay away from anything fried. If you must eat fried, then limit how much you have of it. I would also try to limit my intake of any sort of white pastas or white breads. I'd load up on the veggies and have seafood if they have it. If they only have chicken or beef, I'd eat that, but I'd make sure it was a lean cut of beef. I do not count calories when it comes to my cheat meal. I keep my portions in check though and do not overeat. Just be careful because all those trips to the buffet can add up quickly. You don't want to eat over 2,000 cal in one sitting even if you're not cal counting. When I know something is probably fattening, I eat a small amount of it, and not too much. Do not starve yourself throughout the day. Eat as you normally would, work out, and then don't worry about the rest.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat until you're full...don't go crazy, but eat what you want...I believe in occasional cheat days (i no longer do them on a regular basis, just when i feel it)...of course I'm no expert and have a LONG way to go...
  • kayscorpio
    kayscorpio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips I stick to when my family wants to go to the dreaded buffet (lol).. I start with the salad part. I make my first plate a salad and I eat the entire thing. Then I go for the hot foods. By the time I finish the salad and start on the fried chicken I am almost full. I also drink water. Water will fill you up versus some sugary drink. If I can fit dessert down my throat I will take strawberries off the fruit part and spread a lil of the chocolate from the ice cream Sunday section on them. It feels like you are getting a special dessert.

My boyfriend says I waste money when I go to the buffet because I am not piling my plate until food is toppling off it.. look like a volcano of grease.. LOL
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I feel like you're going to do what you want to do no matter what people post on here. If you are at an all you can eat buffet and you want to stuff your face, you're going to stuff your face. I think you just want everyone to help you feel as though it's okay to stuff your face once in a while. And in my honest opinion, it is. Don't stress too much about it. It's one night.
  • chrissy_1987
    chrissy_1987 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Definatly a lot of good tips. Never been to this buffet before (it's fish and chip themed so the likelyhood of veggies is slim!)

I definatly do not want to hit 2,000 cals in one meal! So I will be taking the advice of drinong plenty of water, and filling up on veggies (if possible) before hitting the fried stuff. I know i'm damn well going to enjoy it but probably feel guilty (and bloated) on saturday hahah
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I allow myself something daily... whether it's some m&ms (10-20), bread (if I'm craving it), or even a Snickers bar. This helps me from binging. Then like every month I have a cheat day with my hubby (he eats Paleo)... so it's something fun we both look forward to and plan with avengence! lol
  • LeRevCooper
    LeRevCooper Posts: 122
    Options
    I had Taco Bell yesterday. :facepalm:
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If I'm under my calorie goal the rest of the week, I allow myself a cheat day once a week. I rest from the gym and rest from logging. I log "free day" with 3500 calories and click "logging complete". Then it tells me how much I'd weigh if I ate like that every day. lol.

I look forward to the free day all week long. By the end of the free day, I'm ready to get back on the program again. It really motivates me for the rest of the week - motivated to have a free day, and motivated to feel better after the free day.

I don't eat nearly as much on my free day as I used to (Easter Sunday a gluttonous exception) because I really don't feel good when I overdo it. But I eat whatever I really want to eat.

I lost 40 pounds in 4 months having a free day every week.

You have to remember that this is a lifestyle change that has to last FOREVER. You're probably not going to go the rest of your life not going to a buffet once in a while. So go - and enjoy yourself! Then get back on the program the next day and have a great week!
  • MikkiGayle
    MikkiGayle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My program actually has a Cheat Day built into it.....I just don't go completely crazy....I am down 73 lbs in 9 weeks just following a simple program that has me add small little lifestyle changes each week...and an app that messages my phone when it is time to do something like drink water, drink protein drink, take pics of what I eat, do 3o seconds of like squats before every meal to kick the metabolism in.....but I love the whole CHEAT DAY thing
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I ate at a buffet last night. One of the things I love about buffets is that you can get tiny quantities of lots of different things. I love that I could get 1 piece of sushi, 1 pot sticker, 1 piece of general tso's chicken, etc.

Maybe set a goal for yourself - 1 small plate, 1 big plate, 2 bowls whatever - and stop after that. "I will only fill this x dish and then I'll stop". Trick yourself by using 2 small plates instead of 1 big one or whatever it takes for you to feel like you're satisfied, and that you haven't ruined your diet. Everyone needs a cheat meal once in awhile!
  • mgore0404
    mgore0404 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I feel like you're going to do what you want to do no matter what people post on here. If you are at an all you can eat buffet and you want to stuff your face, you're going to stuff your face. I think you just want everyone to help you feel as though it's okay to stuff your face once in a while. And in my honest opinion, it is. Don't stress too much about it. It's one night.

Just wondering if this is a little insensitive, I mean isn't this what we are here for to support each other in times of weakness? and going to a Buffet is not her choice it's her significant other's choice, and she is trying to figure out what she can do. I don't think saying that she is "going to stuff your face" is very helpful,
    Then again maybe it's just me

Maybe what you can do is estimate how much is on your plate and put it in your MFP later, just to see maybe how much you ate :) Good luck tonight, and remember to enjoy the company most of all, not the food !!
  • dbustamante76
    Options
    working out and eating clean all week you can have a cheat meal it wont mess up your progress as much as people think.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    One day a week I go eat at a chinese buffet. But it's such a habit to eat healthy. I fill up on the raw cucumbers, boiled shrimp, amd the stirfry greebeans. I pick out the chicken and only eat the broccoli; and just one small plastic condiment cup of orange chicken. Im seriously full. Felt like I cheated but the majority of my food is green vegis. Its a great chest place. Sometimes I have them stirfry some cabbage with beansprouts and onions on the grill. Im not abandoning everything I have learned. After a yr, this is my lifestyle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't have an "I'm on a diet" mentality...so I don't have a "this is cheating" mentality either. Are there times that I go over on my calories? Sure...of course...that's real life. I know boat loads of people who are lean and fit and aren't on "diets" and don't count calories...but for damn sure they go over on occasion and damn sure they have some junk on occasion.

The real key is what is your overall lifestyle about? I don't even worry about it...I had my kids 3 year old birthday party a couple weekends ago...I ate around 3,500 calories. No sweat...ya know why? Because it's an isolated event. I don't consider it cheating per-sei...it's just an isolated event. Before that, the last time I really cut lose like that was Super Bowl Sunday...again, an isolated event in an otherwise very nutrient dense, healthy diet.

I don't worry about saving up calories or working it off the next day with some excessive amount of exercise or whatever...I just go about my life. I'm practicing for real life intuitive eating, and MFP is just the training wheels o my bike here.
  • chrissy_1987
    chrissy_1987 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Just wondering if this is a little insensitive, I mean isn't this what we are here for to support each other in times of weakness? and going to a Buffet is not her choice it's her significant other's choice, and she is trying to figure out what she can do. I don't think saying that she is "going to stuff your face" is very helpful,
    Then again maybe it's just me

Agreed! :D