Options

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Asparagus and hollandaise sauce!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    ignore the negative nellies by the way... if you want to eat 6 egg whites in one day i think it would NOT be a good idea to also eat the yolks (which have way less protein and way more fat)!! Personally I can't eat the yolks because they contain a lot of phosphorus (it's a rare reason why I can't) but I love egg beaters by the quart and they work really well with the P90x plan... add a little fat free or low fat feta and you won't even miss the yolks :)
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Egg salad. Just add a few extra yolks in hers.
    btw don't skip ALL of your egg yolks, the yolk has all the good nutrients for you (as well as your daughter).
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Hair or face mask? You can use them for beauty treatments. You could also add some milk to the yolks, mix it up and cook it like a scrambled egg for omelet for your little girl.
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I figure all the more a dozen eggs are, I can afford to throw away the yolk. I track my fat closely though, so I don't want to eat them, although, I do realize that they have some health benefits.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Eggs contain copious amounts of vital nutrients, including choline. Some people are still stuck on the old perceptual notion that yolks are bad, when in fact they can be very nutritional. They contain more vitamins than the whites themselves. Each egg yolk contains seven vitamins: B6, folate, a B vitamin, B-12, A, D, E and K. Of those, vitamins A, D, E and K are found only in egg yolks and not in egg whites. In fact, egg yolks are one of only a handful of foods in which vitamin D is naturally found.

I actually just downed a hard boiled egg. Yolk and all.
  • karivarner
    Options
    you could use them in french toast for her, or pancakes, egg salad.
    I make my grandkids french toast made from whole grain cranberry walnut bread. They love it.
    Put one in her hot cereal, when it is almost cooked, add it in & beat well.
    Egg salad, coddled egg. baked egg.
    Lots of ways. Freeze them & use them later like for camping.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    An egg yolk is hardly sabotage and it's been recommended to me for her to eat eggs because of the good cholesterol in them. Helpful suggestions only please, I put in her age so people can give appropriate suggestions, if that's not to give them to her there's no need to be nasty about it.

Egg yolks are an excellent food for young children. They actually need a lot of quality fats in their diets and egg yolks are some of the highest quality fat you can get. Plus, the cholesterol is VERY beneficial for the growing neurological system in a young child.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Lemon curd is good too. Again a bit on the sugary side but YUM!
    I was going to say lemon curd. Or raspberry curd. Any kind of curd!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    An egg yolk is hardly sabotage and it's been recommended to me for her to eat eggs because of the good cholesterol in them. Helpful suggestions only please, I put in her age so people can give appropriate suggestions, if that's not to give them to her there's no need to be nasty about it.

Since you are aware yolks are healthy, why aren't you willing eat them?

I8MeZCj.gif
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Throw them out, its just a yolk.

:noway:

Waste not.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's not that I'm not willing to eat the yolks, I am eating some of the yolks, but on the insanity nutrition guide it has recipes like 2 wholes eggs and 2 egg whites for an omelette. Considering the success of the program I'm guessing there's a good reason for it and I wan't maximum results so I will be doing as it tells me. I'm in the UK and as far as I'm aware can't buy eggs in the carton (please correct me if i'm wrong!) and since I pay almost £3 for 12 free range eggs I want to get the most out of them.

Thank you to everyone who has given helpful suggestions! Will try the mac and cheese, omelette and face/hair masks :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The Insanity nutrition guide is just a guide, not gospel. Feel free to use the calories in your daily calorie plan as you see fit. If you don't want to waste money by throwing out half of an egg, then eat the whole egg and account for the calories somewhere else in your day's plan. It would be very silly to throw out the vitamins and minerals contained in yolk and then have to take a multivitamin pill to make up for it.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eat the yolk! That's where all the great vitamins and flavour reside.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Personally I would eat the whole egg...BUT

My mum often adds a couple of egg yolks to mashed potato. It gives it a nice consistency and can take the place of some of the butter. So if your daughter eats that you could throw one or two in there.

Or, just gently fry or microwave them and let her dip soldiers of toast in- if you don't mind her having runny eggs.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The yolk portion of an egg contains choline, an essential nutrient for brain health. Plus, whole eggs have an antioxidant capacity equal to that of an apple, an iconic symbol of good health, according to research published in Food Chemistry.

I recommend that you buy omega-3 eggs. The chickens that these eggs come from are fed a higher omega-3 diet and some omega-3 eggs (depending on the brand) contain up to 150 mg of the omega-3 fat DHA. This is the same healthy fat found in fish oil supplements that is essential for proper brain function and research shows may also help you lose weight.

Whole omega-3 eggs are a great addition to your diet and contain multiple essential nutrients. Enjoy them and your health will improve!

(excerpt from Shape Magazine's Dr. Mike Roussel)
    The eggs I buy are 275 mg omega 3!
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Mayonnaise, cakes? Whenever I make macarons and have some left over my mum uses them in a omelet.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    seriously thats your suggestion to her?
    didnt your mother ever tell you if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all.

I wish I knew what you could do with the yolks. Sadly I throw mine out. However I do choose to eat them once a week as well. They do hold all the calories but the also hold a lot of nutritionly value as well!

Why are you attacking me? I'm just trying to help

Please bro.

We all know you were being snarky.

If you were REALLY trying to help you should have told her to mix the eggs with lemon and sugar and make a meringue to give to her daughter.

Um--meringues are made with egg WHITES and sugar. :ohwell:
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Scrambled (add some milk) or french toast. Homemade mayonaise
    Also
    http://www.fortysomething.ca/2010/04/recipes_to_use_up_extra_egg_yo.php
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Scrambled (add some milk) or french toast. Homemade mayonaise
    Also
    http://www.fortysomething.ca/2010/04/recipes_to_use_up_extra_egg_yo.php
    You should never keep home made mayo longer than 24 hours, though...