Pre-Workout / Post-Workout, What's your meal?

Options
FrnkLft
FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
For Pre-Workout I do a 170-200 g Banana w/ ON Cookies and Cream Whey Protein in 1 cup of 2% Milk (55g Carbs, 32g Protein

For Post I do 2 cups of 1% Chocolate Milk from Publix (58g Carbs, 18g Protein)

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    That's precise!

If running followed by weights I do them on an empty stomach first thing in the morning then have a breakfast when I get back with protein and carbs (so something like scrambled egg or beans on toast).

If hiking for several hours I usually have a bowl of muesli beforehand, whatever I want during the hike (usually wraps, bananas, nuts and crisps - lots of carby energy for climbing up rocks and cliffs) followed by a good dinner with plenty of protein... and beer! (all within my macros and calories, of course!)
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Pre: a stimulant, like caffeine. No calories.

Post: 2 scoops of whey about 2 or 3 hours after workout (50g protein, 10g carbs)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    @staticentropy

It looks like you've got the type of build I'm looking to develop. Have you always eaten this way before and after? How long have you been working out and what does the rest of your nutrition look like in terms of calories and whatnot?
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    Pre-work out:
    I eat very light.
    Mainly I'd eat an apple and some peanuts or some vegetables.

Post-work out:
    4-8oz Chicken Breast w/ green vegetables and water.

Nothing too crazy.

I want my body to eat more fat not just burn off the calories I ate before my work out you know.
  • StaticEntropy
    Options
    @staticentropy

It looks like you've got the type of build I'm looking to develop. Have you always eaten this way before and after? How long have you been working out and what does the rest of your nutrition look like in terms of calories and whatnot?

I started working out a little over four years ago but I only started eating this way since April of last year. I had heard about Leangains for years but finally gave it a try and really enjoyed the way fasted workouts felt. I found that I was strong as hell when doing fasted morning workouts. I don't follow LG to the letter (I don't take BCAAs during the fast, for example), but the protocol has been very helpful in terms of learning and applying knowledge garnered from human studies on Intermittent Fasting.

In terms of calories and other macros, I eat pretty much standard except that I fit it within an 8-9 hour window. If I am bulking or cutting, I eat enough calories to gain or lose 1 lb or so per week. Protein intake in grams is approximately my body weight in lbs. Carbs are higher (~300g) and fats are lower (~40g) on workout days, and the reverse is applied on rest days (~100g or carbs, ~80g of fat).

The reason I stay away from the usual dogma of carbs immediately post workout is that protein alone creates enough of an insulin spike to promote protein synthesis, especially after a fasted workout. Also, your ability to replenish muscle glycogen is not limited to a small "post workout window" since that window has been shown to be about 24 hours after exercise.

*Edit: forgot to quote
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @staticentropy

I started working out a little over four years ago but I only started eating this way since April of last year. I had heard about Leangains for years but finally gave it a try and really enjoyed the way fasted workouts felt. I found that I was strong as hell when doing fasted morning workouts. I don't follow LG to the letter (I don't take BCAAs during the fast, for example), but the protocol has been very helpful in terms of learning and applying knowledge garnered from human studies on Intermittent Fasting.

In terms of calories and other macros, I eat pretty much standard except that I fit it within an 8-9 hour window. If I am bulking or cutting, I eat enough calories to gain or lose 1 lb or so per week. Protein intake in grams is approximately my body weight in lbs. Carbs are higher (~300g) and fats are lower (~40g) on workout days, and the reverse is applied on rest days (~100g or carbs, ~80g of fat).

The reason I stay away from the usual dogma of carbs immediately post workout is that protein alone creates enough of an insulin spike to promote protein synthesis, especially after a fasted workout. Also, your ability to replenish muscle glycogen is not limited to a small "post workout window" since that window has been shown to be about 24 hours after exercise.

i <3 coheed!

and OP, i usually have greek yogurt pre, and post my dinner.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout - 100 grams banana & one serving Vega pre workout mixed with water.
    Post-workout- (Blended)1 pound lettuce, 1 apple, 140 grams each frozen mango & strawberry, 28 grams ground flaxseed, juice from half a lemon, & 21 grams vegan protein powder.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout: 4-6 shots black coffee.
    Post workout: 2-4 shots black coffee and a chocolate bar.
  • StaticEntropy
    Options
    @staticentropy

i <3 coheed!

and OP, i usually have greek yogurt pre, and post my dinner.

Afterman double album is the only thing I've listened to recently when I'm in the gym. Pretty sure it has been proven that listening to coheed adds 100 lbs to your deadlift.