Is my 6 lbs-in-3 days-weight loss a fluke?

Options
Ennielyn
Ennielyn Posts: 27 Member
Hi guys, I joined MyFitnessPal last week, on the day that I started my 6-week weight loss project for a wedding I'll be attending in May. I weighed 168 at my starting point last Friday (3/29/2013), and just realized yesterday that I had lost 6 pounds (I weighed 162 lbs). Granted, I've done a whole lot of cardio since I started, and have remained below my calorie goal, but this seems a bit too good to be true. I weighed 162 lbs this morning before I worked out. Just wondering if anyone else had such an experience when they started using MyFitnessPal. This is really encouraging.

Replies

• nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it was a "fluke" in that it happened for no reason. But I wouldn't expect to see a 6 lb. loss every week. Weight doesn't come off in a straight line (usually). You'll probably see weeks with little to no loss, and weeks with bigger losses. Congrats on the great start!
  • Teysa
    Teysa Posts: 26
    Options
    at the beginning weight starts shedding easily because, usually, you check what you eat and increase activity. Now, when the body starts to "learn" how much it does each day (calories in, out, etc) weight loss slows down a bit. That's why some people hit plateaus during their weight loss as the initial shock fades away.

All that said, don't feel bad if you don't lose as much as you intended, everyone is different but you had a good start :)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you eating and how much are you exercising? Can't give an educated answer unless we know what your doing!
  • darkhoplight
    Options
    Their is allot of water weight involved here too. That doesn't surprise me any that you shed that much in that time. My weight will very about 5-8 lbs on a daily basis. If you drink allot of fluids and your doing allot of sweet inducing exercise you're weight will vary. May i advice that you try to weigh yourself once a week, same time, same day ect. It'll help even out your weigh in's a little.

Good work losing it none the less! :D
  • ALG25091
    ALG25091 Posts: 11
    Options
    I lost 13.5lbs in the first week. I agree ^ its probably water weight but its still less on the scale and you're probably not as bloated now. Keep it up and you'll see you're results soon enough.
  • KristinKStansell
    Options
    A dramatic fresh start!! I would "think" that since it is a new start that it's probably water weight loss but what are you eating and how much exercise that you do would give a more complete answer! But be careful that you drink about 6 cups of liquid a day! :-)
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    i would whistle Dixie all day long and be glad :-)
  • Ennielyn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I've acutally been eating a little more frequently than I had in the past, only healthier choices - spinach, carrots, grapes, tomatoes, oranges, boiled eggs, non-fat greek yogurt, home-made black eyed beans (with coconut oil, dried shrimp, boullion cubes and various spices) etc. I allowed myself 2 beef patties on Saturday. I've been averaging about 1100 calories in my daily food intake. I have a history of doing high intensity cardio exercises, but hadn't worked out in over a month before I restarted last week. I've been mostly running at 8.5 mph x 30minutes, plus walking on an incline of 15 at 5.2 (or 5.4)mph for another 30 minutes, plus (or minus) a final 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. My entire body was so sore on the first 2 days, but I don't feel as sore anymore. I just hope I can maintain this.
  • LvlyLars
    LvlyLars Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey! We're just about the same....I started last Tuesday and lost 7 pounds in the first couple days. The last 2 days though I've gained 2 pounds. I certainly wouldn't say it's a fluke but you're probably eating cleaner and working out more so the first few pounds came off quickly. Just don't get off track if you slow down a bit or even increase a couple pounds....if you keep at it you'll lose it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just want to emphasize again that much of that...most of that is water. I want you to remember that because there's going to come a day when you're up 6 Lbs in a couple of days and you're going to be one of the daily, "OMG...I gained 10 Lbs overnight" threads...and it will be for the same exact reason...water and glycogen. Water retention/release can contribute to very large swings in scale weight.
  • sindikumva
    Options
    Their is allot of water weight involved here too. That doesn't surprise me any that you shed that much in that time. My weight will very about 5-8 lbs on a daily basis. If you drink allot of fluids and your doing allot of sweet inducing exercise you're weight will vary. May i advice that you try to weigh yourself once a week, same time, same day ect. It'll help even out your weigh in's a little.

This - if I weigh myself in the morning before working out I am about 3-8 lbs less than if I weigh myself in the evening after a day of eating & drinking water.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    water weight
  • Ennielyn
    Options
    Thanks so much for your comments. I agree with you about the water weight, and morning vs evening weights. One of the confounders in that regard is that I weighed 162 lbs both yesterday evening and today before I worked out in the morning. I hope the water weight keeps coming off, though. It's quite encouraging. I'll continue what I'm doing - high intensity cardio and healthy diet, and see where I get :-)
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    At the beginning, I lost weight super quickly (about 4 pounds per week). I later heard that "new fat" is shed more easily than "old fat", and now my weight loss has dropped to about a pound per week.
  • Ennielyn
    Options

This - if I weigh myself in the morning before working out I am about 3-8 lbs less than if I weigh myself in the evening after a day of eating & drinking water.

Thanks so much for your comments. I agree with you about the water weight, and morning vs evening weights. One of the confounders in that regard is that I weighed 162 lbs both yesterday evening and today before I worked out in the morning. I hope the water weight keeps coming off, though. It's quite encouraging. I'll continue what I'm doing - high intensity cardio and healthy diet, and see where I get :-)