in need of a recipe adjustment please

Options
I have a simple recipe. It calls for a pound of frozen brussels sprouts and a pound of kielbasa. I would prefer to use fresh sprouts. Would anyone know if I need to precook the fresh sprouts... and if so, for how long?

oh.. this is a low carbohydrate recipe.. for those that are counting carbs

Kielbasa and Brussels Sprouts

1 pound frozen brussels sprouts
1 pound kielbasa, sliced into 1-inch pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Place the frozen sprouts on the bottom off the prepared baking dish. Arrange the kielbasa over the sprouts, to let the juices flow over them. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for 15 additional minutes, if you like your kielbasa browned.

Yield: 3 servings, each with 15 grams of carbohydrates and 5 of fiber, for a total of 10 grams of usable carbs and 25 grams of protein. (This was analyzed for the average kielbasa, so you could knock off a few extra grams by choosing the lowest-carb kielbasa available.)

I just love it.

Replies

• insearchofskinny
    Options
    I have a simple recipe. It calls for a pound of frozen brussels sprouts and a pound of kielbasa. I would prefer to use fresh sprouts. Would anyone know if I need to precook the fresh sprouts... and if so, for how long?

oh.. this is a low carbohydrate recipe.. for those that are counting carbs

Kielbasa and Brussels Sprouts

1 pound frozen brussels sprouts
    1 pound kielbasa, sliced into 1-inch pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Place the frozen sprouts on the bottom off the prepared baking dish. Arrange the kielbasa over the sprouts, to let the juices flow over them. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for 15 additional minutes, if you like your kielbasa browned.

Yield: 3 servings, each with 15 grams of carbohydrates and 5 of fiber, for a total of 10 grams of usable carbs and 25 grams of protein. (This was analyzed for the average kielbasa, so you could knock off a few extra grams by choosing the lowest-carb kielbasa available.)

I just love it.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    why cook them at all? If it was me, I'd just throw them on.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I would probably not pre cook them..don't you think they'd get mushy?
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    I'm not sure there would be enough moisture in the fresh sprouts to cook them and maybe wouldn't do any more then dry them out. :frown:
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    that's why I want to try fresh.. the frozen ones ARE mushy. :frown: