Need some good motivation to get past first day!

Options
Hey MFPers!

I'm not new on here, but I've created a new profile to "start over". I joined last summer and did extremely well - I lost about 2 lbs per week! But around November I started working from home and have to wake up at 6 AM. I do not do well getting up this early and have quickly gained weight since my new schedule started (I've gained over 30 lbs!). I try to get to bed early but I'm an insomniac who takes melatonin on a regular basis to fall asleep - I also have other obligations such as taking care of my family that keep me awake later. Well, my big problem is I am having a lot of trouble getting past the first day of healthy eating. I have a serious sugar problem. I've used sugar for so long to fuel my days that begin at 6 that I'm addicted! I have tried daily for about 3 weeks to get back into healthy eating and get to a point where I can add sweets without binging and going overboard. So far I can make it to noon, but I get so sleepy and grouchy that I crave the sugar so bad and I give in and it gives me temporary energy and improves my mood - and I don't just have "a piece" I all out binge for the rest of the day on any unhealthy thing I can get my hands on - I have this mental thing where I tell myself that tomorrow is my first day back eating healthy so I need to eat everything I crave tonight, but this keeps repeating day after day. And of course after an afternoon of eating like that I feel like poo! I know for sure that once I get past 3 days of healthy eating it's easy sailing after that, but I can't even get past the first day! Does anyone have any words of advice or anything to motivate me to stick with it? My wonderful hubby is putting the kids to bed for me tonight so I can get to bed early and get some rest - so tomorrow will be a perfect day to stick with my first day back eating healthy. Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• prettysenshi
    prettysenshi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is to wean you off of the sugar and the caffeine. And as much as it sucks, it will hurt, as you will suffer headaches and such from it. Honestly, several weeks into it, you will have almost no craving for soda or sweets at that point. You need to eat foods that naturally give you energy:

http://ecosalon.com/20-foods-to-give-you-energy/

You should also remember, that it takes a lot of willpower and determination to keep going, you not only have to want it, but you have to DO it.
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    well the first thing is you can do this. you know that.
    like anothe rposting. it will be hard (
    have you tried lots of protein snacks throughout hte day? and some protein bars have minimal chocolate or fruit so taste sweeter than they are. have you tried them? that may help get you past the initial GIMMESUGARORDIE! trip.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Explain to people around you you're going to be a grouchy beeeatch for 1-3 days. Tell yourself that too, allow yourself the 1-3 days to be a grump, go to bed early. Sit on the couch and be grumpy, a few days later, all will be normal again.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Hi Otchcake!

6am is eeeearly...

I don't have a sugar problem so it's hard to give specific advice. But I remember when I gave up smoking, something that helped me was to remember that it was smoking that caused the problems, not relieved them. I would feel stressed and strung out, so I would have a smoke and it would feel better for a while - but it was withdrawal that caused me to be stressed and strung out in the first place, and the reason I was experiencing withdrawal was because I was addicted to cigarettes. It's a bit like wearing tight shoes just for the pleasure of taking them off - if you don't wear the tight shoes, it doesn't hurt at all, so it's much better.

I guess it's a problem that's one part physical, and one huge part mental. It's working out the mental side of it which is helpful. It's understanding how the sugar cravings work and how they affect your thinking patterns. What's sugar really giving you, and what is it really taking away?

Anyway it's a difficult problem, and I wish you all the best!
  • kss1231
    kss1231 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My day starts at 3:45 am and ends when I get home around 5:30pm. I try to eat fruit when I get the sugar cravings, the natural sugar will give you some energy to make it through the day. Short walks will also help take your mind away from the craving and boost your mood. At least that is what helps me. Good luck.
  • Otchcake
    Otchcake Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Thank you all so much for your tips and support! I haven't had a chance to read each reply yet, but I'll be taking time throughout the day to do so. Thanks again! You guys are wonderful! And today has been very successful so far! Yay! :)