Sugars from fruit/veggies

Options
Greetings,
I am worried that I am getting a lot of sugar in my day and a majority is from the vegetables and fruits I eat. For instance today was 72g some from a yogurt but mainly from an apple and the green peppers and onions I eat. Which I eat those 2 veggies often as I feel they add great flavor.
So is sugar from fruit and veggies better/worse/same as those in foods such as yogurt? And how do you tone them down since a healthier diet is more fruit and veggies which have that sugar?

Replies

• kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    Sugar from fruits tend to be healthier. Apples do contain lots of sugars, but those are healthier than, say, your average chocolate chip brownie or truffle. Sugars can be healthy - they're good for maintain blood sugar levels, so they're necessary to maintain in your diet. Never hesitate to eat lots of fruits.

And yogurt is good too - it's got dairy and lots of necessary nutrients. It also has sugar in it, but that sugar is usually naturally derived from the fruits themselves.

Don't take any of these two groups out of your diet! They're so necessary! :)
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I think I may go see a dietitian and ask them cause I have this problem. I love fruit, but I am worried about my macros.
  • goodenough13
    Options
    Don't count the sugars from fruits and veggies. Some Greek yogurts only have natural sugar in them too. You have to watch labels to know for sure if processed white sugar has been added. That's the stuff you want to limit.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yep same here, I'm way over on my sugar count and the majority is from fruit. A pear has 16gr sugar.

I try not to worry about it and really should remove that macro as i'm so sick of seeing it.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to not eat too much sugar then don't worry about it. I got rid of it on my macros (it's still counted in my carbs so I get a feel for it without worrying about it) and added fibre and sodium to my intake stats. Make sure you get enough protein and fats and fill out the rest with carbs. Keep within your calorie count and you will be fine.
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I kinda disagree here. Carbs are carbs are carbs. You're body reacts to fructose as it does sucrose...only differently. You can influence your blood sugars with fruits. If you've had a hard time loosing weight, try cutting down the sugars from fruits to only just 1 serving (1/2 a fruit). Carbs from veggies are absorbed much slower into the system. They don't seem to count as much.
    Got my info from a couple of sites Mark Sisson and Dr. Mercola.

Hope this helps.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising and eating clean then the sugar from fruits and vegetables is ok and good. They have a much lower glycemic load than a snack like a snickers. Plus many of them have vitamins and minerals that support your body's functions.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Count sugars from corn syrups, artificial processed foods, cane sugar, etc. Fruit and veggie sugars are way better, unless you have issues like diabetes or whatever.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Fear not - these are the best kinds of foods you can eat. The only sugars I avoid are refined sugars. I absolutely do not eat donuts, twinkies or any processed crap you would find in a gas station. That includes durritos and sugar soda as well.

Everything else is fair game.

I snack on fruit all day long, and make sure that I get A MINIMUM of 2 to 3 servings of veggies per day.
  • goodenough13
    Options
    Here is an article from livestrong.com talking about the differences between natural and processed sugars.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/546655-does-the-body-process-fruit-sugars-the-same-way-that-it-does-refined-sugar/