Exercise - Morning or Evening?

Options
I have seen several people on these boards saying they exercise in the mornings, like 4 or 5:00 am. I have been exercising in the evenings, but would be curious to see how it would be to exercise that early in the morning. It would probably also free up my evenings and work out a little better for my schedule. If you exercise early in the mornings, what do you like about it? What time do you go to bed each night in order to be able to get up that early? Do you eat breakfast first or just wake up and jump right into working out?

Replies

• pegasus925
    pegasus925 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I tried the mornings for about 2 weeks, hated it. Went back to evenings.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    both

I go to bed at 10:30, about 45 minutes after my evening workout. I get up at 5:15 and hit the gym by about 6:00.

I have "breakfast" after - usually just a protein shake, fiber and vitamins. Not much for eating in the morning.

Evening workout is about will be 45 minutes to an hour after dinner.
  • muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    MUST BE EVENING!!
  • misscherie13
    Options
    I heard exercising in the morning makes your metabolism burn faster....is it true?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I usually fall asleep 10-10:30 wake up at 4am run 5k. Go to work, bust my *kitten*, go to gym or bike ride 10-20 miles. Weekends I run 10-15k each day. I prefer to exercise in mornings, it just gets my body warmed up for work which is physically demanding.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I've recently went back to working out in the morning. 4am is when i get things going...............but my martial arts classes are at night during the week ,and 10am on saturdays.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I work 12-9 so I workout after my kids get on the bus around 8.

I could never be one of those people who workout at 4 a.m.

I need my coffee to kick in first.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,236 Member
    Options
    I'm sleeping at 4 or 5 AM, but I exercise in the AM. I have tried at night and was too exhausted to do much. I like the AM because it's done, I can't come up with other things to do instead, and it helps chill me out before the workday. I get up, have a cup (or 10) of coffee and go. I run and get a bad belly ache if I don't run on an empty stomach. I gave up watching the news in the AM and run instead.
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Up at 5:30 am and at the gym by 5:55. I work very part time and could go later in the day but I like the fact that there are fewer people at the gym that early in the morning. I can get my 90-120 minutes of cardio in without much disruption in the routine I like because I seldom have to wait for a machine. I am usually in bed between 8 and 9:30 just depending on how tired I am. My gym clothes are in the bathroom ready to put on and my keys, water, key card, and ear buds are on the kitchen table ready to grab. I am not, and I mean not, a morning person so I have to have my ducks in a row. Because I work out as long as I do I like to get there early and have it done. Later in the day and I am competing with too many people for too few machines.
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Up at 4:30 and on the treadmill by 4:45 for a 3 mile run, some push-ups and pull-ups every morning. Take some cottage cheese to work for breakfast (or a protein drink if I'm feeling lazy). I find that exercising first thing in the morning eliminates the excuses of every day life. Besides, I like the feel of going through the day with worked muscles.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    LOVE morning workouts. Have time to do whatever you have planned for the rest of the day after, and feeling good is awesome!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Afternoons here... mornings, I'm a zombie and fairly irritable.. evenings are when I want to wind down from my day. That works for me, there's really no BETTER time to workout other than what works for YOU.
  • SavingFaith65
    SavingFaith65 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've done both, I work 12 hour days so after work I have no desire to do anything but take a shower and get ready for bed.

I use to go to the gym at 5 in the morning. Since I work 8am-8pm I would get up at 4:45 put clothes on and go...take a shower and get ready there then head to work. I'd try to get an hour and a half two hour workout in. It helped me get through my long work shift.

I ate after the workout on my way to work or when I got to work.

It's different for everyone, whatever fits your schedule and lifestyle best.

Goodluck!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I wake up on my own between 4:30-5 am, I usually eat a banana and have a latte(4oz espresso 1/2 cup 2% milk) and log some computer time before heading to a 6 am yoga class. I run in the afternoon/evening when I get home from work. I usually eat a snack before I run as well. I just can not workout on an empty stomach.

Oh and I'm usually in bed by 8 pm.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, it's in the morning.
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    usually evening or when ever I feel like it but never before 9 am
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I heard exercising in the morning makes your metabolism burn faster....is it true?

No.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both and it's great! I roll out of bed and do 30 day shred level 1, literally, not even coffee first. Then when I come home from work, after dinner, I do some kettlebell and my stationary bike. the great thing about the morning routine is that if I can't fit in an evening session, it's ok, I'm good, and also, that way I start my day off with extra calories to eat back if I need to.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    always in the morning! 6 am... sometimes an extra workout in the evening..
  • medaud10
    medaud10 Posts: 20
    Options
    I get up at 545 and go to the gym. It frees up my evenings so I can spend time with my husband, cook a decent meal, and get some work done. I also feel better starting the day with exercise. when I get off work I am done!! In the summer I get outside in the evening and work on the yard a bit and that adds more exercise but at home.