Feel like crap several hours after my workout.

Options
So I have been taking early morning bootcamp type classes. I really enjoy them. I don't have a problem with excessive muscle soreness but crash and am useless several hours later. I am eating back the calories I burned, at least most of them. I seriously am useless the rest of the day. will this just get better? Is this a nutrirional type problem. I eat pretty clean.

Replies

• Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump. I experience the same thing!! Curious to know as well!
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, do you get enough carbs?
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, do you get enough carbs?

and enough calories in general?
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have had this problem after very long runs (2 hours or more). Make sure you are eating enough, and eat at least a little something very soon after your workout. You will get used to it after a while too. Now after running 13 or more miles, I have no problems after a 10 mile run. So, it is about fuel, but also about conditioning.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    When I do the class I will eat about1700 calories. I might not be getting enough carbs. I come pretty close to my macros goal most days.

Thanks for the responses BTW. I am probably in the worse shape of my life and 40 pounds from a normal BMI so lack of conditioning likely is a factor. I know last week I tried to save up calories for Buffalo Wild Wings and it ended in a disaster crabby and crappy then ate way too much!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You might need to refuel immediately after your workout, or very soon after. And watch your hydration, too.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the answer. After about an hour of moderate to intense activity your body's glycogen stores have been fairly drained. As soon as you finish your workout or at least within 30-45 min after finishing take in some protein and carbs in a shake form. Personally my stomach doesnt like a big meal immediately after a workout so I mix my protein with a glass of milk. This helps replace calories burned and the milk sugar helps replenish the glycogen in my system. Bout an hour after that Ill have a solid meal.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your diet it is nearly impossible to say. Also without a heart monitor it is only possible to guess the approximate amount of calories your burned.

That being said, here are some guesses from the usual suspects:
    1. Improper nutrition. If you eat bad food the empty calories will not help you rebuild.
    2. Not enough food. If your sweat smells like cat pee when you are working out hard, you are burning your muscles.You need good nutrition to rebuild with.
    3. You eat too much at once later and have an insulin reaction.

I would concentrate on getting your diet consistent and nutritious first since that is the most likely problem.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hydration is definitely important here. Make sure you're not dehydrated.

Additionally, *what* are you eating? The issue may not be whether or not you're eating enough, but if you're eating the right thing. Personally, after a good cal-burning workout, I like to have something with a good amount of protein, like eggs, nuts, or fish. Everyone has a different body, so it may take you a bit of trial-and-error to sort it out.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I always feel exhausted after I work out. I do it after work. If I did it before work, nothing would get done until 5 hours after I got there. I get plenty of carbs, though not a ton of protein.