Simvastatin causes "munchies"

Options
I just talked to a nurse acquaintance who mentioned that she noticed people often got "the munchies" about 2 or 3 hours after taking their daily dose of Simvastatin. I currently take 20 mg for cholesterol. I couldn't find anything specifically about this online, but saw references to weight gain and nausea (both of which I experienced) with statins. My food cravings are terrible about three hours after I take the medication. I tried holding off taking it until bedtime last night, and seemed to have less craving, but I awakened at 2 a.m.? I will continue to try experimenting with this, and go back to my doc for a non-statin if I see a relationship. I really don't need help with my appetite.

If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate some info.

thanks.

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what Simvastatin is, but If it is like pot, then my answer would be YES!!!!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My hubby takes it, but he takes it at night before bed so I don't know about the mnuchies thing. Makes me glad he takes it before bed though :)
  • tlbohnert
    tlbohnert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I take pravastatin and I have always taken mine in the morning.
    I go to my Dr. at the end of April. I am going to check into this further. Thanks again
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and here's what I know...you should be taking it at night because it's more effective at night (bedtime). We give our patients their meds between 8 and 9 PM. Also, it came cause muscle pains for some people. So, if you feel achy kind of muscles, you should inform your doc because it can escalate to rhabdomyolysis.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I take Simvastatin right before I go to bed but I've never noticed having the munchies (other than my normal munchies if I eat dinner too early).

Remember that the instructions for Simvastatin specifically say to take it in the evening, at the same time every evening - and no grapefruit. :grumble:
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The "statin" sisters as in all of the lipid lowering agents have this rare side effect. Out of around 15,000 people, 50-150 people may have hunger as a side effect. It is important to take this drug at night and take with a full glass of water (this may help). The goal is to get your LDL <100, especially if you are a diabetic or have cardiac issues. If you continue to take it and cannot control the hunger speak to your healthcare provider. But, I would hope that the more you take it on the routine schedule and not feed it your body will adapt and push through! Good luck :-)
    Beth RN, MSN