vegemite

Options

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I hope I spelled that right. I will be getting the chance to taste it. For those who eat it or have tried it... is it good? What is it made up of?

Its an acquired taste. Go easy with it if you haven't tried it before..
    Its a spread that goes best on buttered toast. Apply very thinly. See if you like it and gradually add more.
    It contains a *kitten*-load of B-group vitamins. Originally it was a bi-product of the beer brewing process and is made from yeast but these days its made in its own factory.
    I hope you enjoy.

Ben
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Tried it when I was backpacking in Australia and found it to be the most disgusting thing I had ever tasted. Vegemite to them is what peanut butter is to Canadians and Americans. You pretty much have to be raised on it from infancy to aquire the taste. Can't hurt to try... never know you might actually like it. Let us know.

You north americans are soooooo soft!!
    (I'm only joking).
    I do feel greatly for anyone who hasn't grown up with vegemite and has a rude awakening as introduction to the product. Its a little like wasabe in the sense that a little goes a long loooooooooooooong way.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love it, but I agree with the above posters that most people who like it were raised enjoying it as children. Still, maybe you'll like it even as an adult.
  • JessicaHeathfield
    JessicaHeathfield Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just had Vegemite on an english muffin for lunch. I absolutely love it! Don't put much on though, otherwise it's too strong :)
  • lamron
    lamron Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You little ripper! Love the stuff.

I'm a born and bred aussie....but yes... spread it thinly - there is nothing better for breakie than vegemite on toast with a cuppa!!

:laugh:
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have it every day! It think it's down to the quantity that you have - anyone who eats it from a spoon is crazy!!! And even among Aussie's that love it (like me) there is a fine balance of what people like, a bare scraping on toast, a more liberal smear, or lathered on.
    I am in between and would use about a teaspoon on one piece of toast... with a fried egg on the top for good measure!
    Love the salt flavour :)
  • Leahsz
    Leahsz Posts: 81
    Options
    It's got that special 'umami' taste, love it. Toast with butter and vegemite is especially good when you're sick/hungover.
    I also have it on toast with cottage cheese - kinda weird but good.
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love it! But yes, use SPARINGLY! Either do it on toast with a fair bit of margarine or have it with some cheese to tone it down (mmm...toasted cheese and vegemite sandwich!)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    We're happy little Vegemites
    As bright as bright can be.
    We all enjoy our Vegemite
    For breakfast, lunch and tea.
    Our Mummies say we're growing stronger every single week
    Because we love our Vegemite.
    We all adore our Vegemite.
    IT PUTS A ROSE IN EVERY CHEEK!
    We're growing stronger every week.

That is why I have rosy cheeks :laugh:

Definitely an acquired taste. My Dad is American, he still does not know how to put it on a sandwich or toast. As kids we hated him making us vegemite sandwiches or toast because he would SLATHER it on - that's no how you do it! It's awesome on toast, crumpets, saladas or fresh bread. YUM
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    In my humble Aussie opinion, vegemite is one of the greatest things to be invented. Totally awesome. Just seeing this thread made me want to get some Vita Weets, spread some butter and vegemite on them, squeeze them together and make worms. A true Aussie tradition. Takes me right back to childhood. And possibly when I did it last week.

Yes, also with cheese, awesome.
  • mozzie88
    mozzie88 Posts: 33
    Options
    I LOVE Vegemite! I have it almost everyday! :heart: Vegemite on crackers, in a sandwich, on rice cakes but the best ever is Vegemite and Cheese on toast! So yummmmmmm!
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Don't make the mistake I did the first time I had it. Despite knowing it was savoury, I looked at it and my taste buds were expecting a rich chocolately taste that would put Nutella to shame. This is not what it tastes like. :angry: :sick:

Despite this terrible introduction, I have learnt to like it. It's an acquired taste, but if you like savoury things on your toast, you might enjoy it. Don't spread it anywhere as thick as peanut butter! The toast should be visible throughout.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have two massive pots of marmite in my kitchen drawer, one "aged" and one "gold" (literally speckled with gold, for the olympics. That is what happens when you send your bf out with a shopping list). I love the stuff, but straight from the jar I only eat it on toast, and I am trying to keep that out of my diet. How do I ever get through these jars?

Anyone got ideas for eating marmite that don't involve bread?
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love it lightly smeared on rice cakes nom nom "
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hopefully your friend will bring Vegemite not Marmite - Marmite is from UK, not from Aus.

Vegemite is great on buttered toast or muffins (and when we say spread it thinly, we mean REALLY thinly), also yummy on fresh white bread with butter or in a cheese and vegemite sandwich. Think of it as something like super-hot chilli sauce - you don't eat it by the spoonful, you just add a little for flavour.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Vegemite is the weak version of Marmite! Eat Marmite if you really want to grow thick underarm hair!
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Totally having Vegemite with some pro active spread on a hot cross bun for morning tea tomorrow. So good. I like my food salty :P
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Mmmm a staple in our house. I love it! I actually like it quite thick (not lathered though). Hubbu hates it and prefers promite but that stuff stinks and tastes gross. Vegemite on fresh bread or toast is the best
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Vegemite on toast with a cup of tea is what I crave when I feel ill. Real comfort food. My husband eats Marmite because he's English but I find it too sweet and sticky. Unfortunately I can't eat Vegemite any more as it's not gluten free but I have discovered Aussiemite which is gluten free and a good alternative.

I loved reading some of the comments on this post - esp references to Vegemite with cottage cheese (this on Vogel bread was my staple diet as a student), Vegemite worms which are part of an Aussie childhood, and the risk of confusing it with chocolate spread. This brought back a terrible memory of the poor unsuspecting Japanese exchange students who stayed at our school and we all told them that the big jars on the breakfast table were full of chocolate spread. They enthusiastically piled it on their toast and then smiled politely as they ate it, no doubt thinking that Australians must be totally mad. The poor girls must have felt sick all day! :sick: They stuck to marmalade after that.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's good!
    I love it. Prefer it to Marmite as the taste is a little stronger and more earthy, somehow.

I love it on toast, covered in sliced/mashed avocado.