Where does the fat go that you lost?

Options

Replies

• etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    You pee it out.

Exactly. This has been covered before.
    well you can stay at maintainance at burn 500 cals a day n you will lose a pound every week. 2nd ques when you are burning fat look for when thing when you go to toilet to pee you will notice something white in your pee is like chicken fat thats how some of your fat comes out n some as a sweat. because when i did a diet few years back when the white thing came in pee i got scared that its something serious but found out its nothing just fat so a doctor knows...
    [/quote]
  • DoriGaga
    DoriGaga Posts: 96
    Options
    I'd just like to throw it out there that when you gain fat, you create fat cells. These cells do not disappearwhen you lose weight, they just shrink. The presence of these cells makes it easier to regain weight that you have lost.

That's seriously depressing, isn't it?

Generally you stop producing new fat cells in adolescence. After that your cells just start getting bigger (storing more fat), until a point where they become too full, in which case new fat cells will form, but that is much more rare, and generally in cases of people who become super morbidly obese in adulthood.

The average person has like 30 billion fat cells, but remember you have to have some fat to live, and cells are microscopic. 30 billion sounds like a lot, but just think: the average person has over 100 000 hairs on their head, and it doesn't seem like that much. And cells are not even visible to the human eye.

So, yes, the cells don't disappear, but also someone who is overweight isn't likely to have significantly more fat cells than a person who is normal weight. Any person has the potential to gain weight, because regardless of the size of the cells, they are always present.

As for the rest of this thread, lot of interesting info, I has never considered where the fat went. But I think it's important to remember that "mass" is not the same as "weight". There has to be an equal amount of mass expelled because matter can't be destroyed, but obviously CO2 doesn't weigh the same as the fat did on your body. Mass measures the amount of matter in an object, whereas weight measures the amount of pull gravity has on that object. Equal amounts of mass in fat as to mass in air are not going to weigh the same.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    So, yes, the cells don't disappear, but also someone who is overweight isn't likely to have significantly more fat cells than a person who is normal weight. Any person has the potential to gain weight, because regardless of the size of the cells, they are always present.
    Noooo, once you are overweight you gain many more fat cells. Storage.
  • DoriGaga
    Options

That is not true. If you don't believe me, feel free to look it up.
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    I have been working on a way to send them to my ex's *kitten*.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

I have, a simple explination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adipocyte
  • DoriGaga
    Options

I have, a simple explination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adipocyte

From the article you cited:

An average adult has 30 billion fat cells with a weight of 30 lbs or 13.5 kg. If excess weight is gained as an adult, fat cells increase in size about fourfold before dividing and increasing the absolute number of fat cells present.

Fat cells swell or shrink but remain constant in number. However, the number of fat cells may increase once existing fat cells are sufficiently full.

The total number is constant in both obese and lean adult. Individuals who become obese as adults have no more fat cell than they had before.

People who have been fat since childhood generally have an inflated number of fat cells. People who become fat as adults may have no more fat cells than their lean peers, but their fat cells are larger. In general, people with an excess of fat cells find it harder to lose weight and keep it off than the obese who simply have enlarged fat cells

Approximately 10% of fat cells are renewed annually at all adult ages and levels of body mass index without a significant increase in the overall number of adipocytes in adulthood.

So basically that backs up everything I said. The number of fat cells is determined in adolescence, and when you gain weight as an adult the cells become larger, but don't increase in number, unless you gain so much weight that the cells become full and new cells have to form. Since it said the cells combined weight about 30lbs, and they can increase fourfold before being full, I take that to mean that you can gain 120lbs before new fat cells emerge (if anyone knows for sure, please correct me, science isn't my strongest point), but that would put you into the range of morbid obesity I think, which is at which point more fat cells generally start forming.
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Old thread but great read
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Under your t-shirt.

Lift it up and you'll find it again.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I keep mine in a jar and talk smack to it every morning.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I finally understood this thread! It only took me 4 months and 20 lbs of weight loss! It shrinks like ashes. Expels energy like a fireplace. And byproducts go out in the potty. So easy. Duh!
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options

When you lose weight it magically appears on my bum. My bum is like a lost fat magnet.
    Nothing to do with the cupcakes I may eat.

Awesome, ill mail you mine when I eat my cupcakes :laugh:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It's magic, like this thread is also magic.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    There was once a thread where someone suggested that you pee out your fat. That was my favorite explanation ever.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    At night it becomes one of these, and walks away.
    tumblr_los1v5wFqh1qijtvg.gif

you beat me to it.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    The fat goes the same place that a piece of wood goes when its burnt.
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    At night it becomes one of these, and walks away.
    tumblr_los1v5wFqh1qijtvg.gif

This is the visual that I needed for my bio-feedback! Otherwise I'm stuck with the little exercise atoms making fires of fat to burn it off! :laugh:
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    576507_456465784376199_1977415474_n_zpsc1806407.jpg
  • huskergirldc
    Options
    Technically speaking, it doesn't go ANYWHERE. You're equipped with a certain amount of Fat cells....these cells "shrink" in size of storage but you still keep these cells. When you breakdown fat, you're only breaking down the amount of storage per cell.