One step forward Two steps back

Options
So my scale has been my enemy since starting this program. Some days I can step on it 3 times in a row and get different results. I had been going with the best results, but it seems that more often the results are on the heavier side, so today I recorded the results that show a 3lb gain. Hopefully it's not truly a gain, but that I never lost those 3 lbs to begin with and am now aligned with my scale.

Here's to hoping to see progress next week!

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    sounds like your scale is broken.

btw, depending on what you eat and how much you exercise your weight can fluctuate quite a bit between days. 2-4 lbs easy.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My old scale really was broken. I invested in a better one and its much less aggravating.

If I weight at different times of the day, I can fluctuate by several pounds. I now only weigh at the same time everyday. That's the number I write down. If I weigh myself again in the afternoon, and its more, it will just depress me so I avoid the scale except in the morning.

So many things can cause your weight to fluctuate. Water retention, that time of the month, etc. As long as you're eating at a deficit, and eating enough, you'll start to lose.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    So my scale has been my enemy since starting this program. Some days I can step on it 3 times in a row and get different results. I had been going with the best results, but it seems that more often the results are on the heavier side, so today I recorded the results that show a 3lb gain. Hopefully it's not truly a gain, but that I never lost those 3 lbs to begin with and am now aligned with my scale.

Here's to hoping to see progress next week!

Not possible that you get different results every time, your scale is broken. Get a new scale and weigh yourself on a hardwood floor or something, not carpet. Don't worry about the numbers yet, it hasn't been giving you the correct # :)
  • Ptoyes
    Ptoyes Posts: 3
    Options
    Well don,t get discouraged. The human body can fluctuate 3 lbs in any given day for a number of reasons. Water intake or lack of it. Exercising. Using bathroom. Try not weighing yourself more than once a day. And try to do it first thing in the morning after the bathroom but before coffee or breakfast.
  • jzlater
    jzlater Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm thinking it may be. I do weigh myself the same time of day (first thing in the am before I eat but after going to the bathroom) and my room has laminate flooring so the scale is on a nice flat surface.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
  • ninkasi72
    ninkasi72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I weigh myself every day is to see the water fluctuation and get used to the patterns. Eat more salt? More water retention. Hormone fluctuation? Water retention. Try not to get too frustrated and stick to it. You'll finally break out of this cycle.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself multiple times each day will only frustrate you. Depending on what you've eaten, what you're wearing, time of month, if you've had a bowel movement, etc. will affect your weight. If you're going to insist on weighing daily (and it should be no more than once a day, same time every day), log your weigh ins in an Excel spreadsheet and track your weekly average. That will give you a better overall picture of your progress.
  • gigglebabe101
    gigglebabe101 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, it was the scale. I got a new one and the problem was solved.