Low carb or low calorie

Options
Ok, I have recently had my lap band removed due to complications after 2 years and 97 lbs lighter. I am going to try the remainder of my weight loss on my own. As I am tracking food, I notice everyday I am way under my caloric intake but over on carbs. Which I know fruits and veggies are your healthy carbs and you have to take in consideration the fiber, but what is best to do, LOW CARBS or LOW CALORIE?

Replies

• MaraPN
    MaraPN Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The answer will be different everytime, because one says low carbs is better
    and another will say low cal is better for different reasons. Both have pros and cons.
    I say do what feels better.
    I feel the best thing is eat healthy, don't focus too much on cals or carbs.
    Eat 3 big meals and 3 small ones to keep your metabolism going.
    Fruits, vegetables, whole wheats (bread,rice,pasta) than you will do fine.
    And besides watching your food, also exercise at least 3 times a week.
    Good luck
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used to believe that carbs mattered most. Kept dieting, kept failing. Now I'm on an unlimited carb diet and losing so easily it seems almost surreal. I do count calories. I say find a way of eating that suits you best while progressing your weight loss.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as for low calorie...create enough of a deficit, but don't overdo it. Keep your dieting sensible and DOABLE.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My trainer says low carb unless you are exercising and definately low carb in afternoons. No eating after 6pm whatever.
  • cortnieloebig
    Options
    It is just so confusing at times. I walked 2 miles yesterday and put on 3 pounds, didn't walk the day before and lost a pound. I have limit myself to 1500 calories a day. I am eating fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and dinner is always before 6pm. It will be a constant struggle! Thank yall for all your advice and info.
  • sjrja
    sjrja Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "It is just so confusing at times. I walked 2 miles yesterday and put on 3 pounds, didn't walk the day before and lost a pound"

Don't weigh yourself everyday!! Weight fluctuates like crazy depending on water weight, etc...I found it counterproductive to weigh too often. Stick to your plan and weigh yourself once a week.

I have found that calorie counting works best for me, because I do like to have a bowl of pasta now and again. The most helpful thing for me has been to cut way back on sugar (desserts, candy, even the 100 calorie packs) - I find once I get past the first day or two, I crave less "bad" carbs.
  • amberkkelley
    amberkkelley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Low carb works well for me. I restrict myself to 40g of carbs or less per day.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Low Carb for me. You can eat a lot more when you are eating whole foods (meat, veggies, nuts, berries, etc). Carbs, especially refined carbs, tend to cause cravings for other things. If I eat some refined carbs, then I start craving sweet stuff. I find if I can get off sugar and refined carbs, ALL cravings go away. I do best when my carbs are between 50-75 - with most of those carbs coming from veggies, nuts, berries, etc. I don't let myself freak if I go over on carbs because I had a sweet potato, for example.

At the same time, you need to keep your calories in a defecit. That being said, for me, it's pretty hard to go over when you are eating nutrient dense foods.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Pick a diet that fits your needs and that you will most likely follow.
  • Lind5ay90
    Lind5ay90 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone's body is different, honestly. I find that when I do low-carb, I shed weight like crazy. I can eat all of the protein smoothies, fruits, veggies, and meats I want without looking out for calories...but the second I have some pasta or a sandwich, it's all over.
    Good luck to you and remember to EAT! Especially if you're working out!
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @TS65- same here! If I eat refined carbs I crave more and feel out of control.
  • heathersherrell1
    Options
    Absolutely do *not* weigh yourself every day! It's so counterproductive! And depressing. Get on the scale once a week, the same day, as close to the same time, and wearing the same thing (or nothing, if you're at home--I do my "official" weigh in at the gym, so I can't do that! lol). Try to avoid beef for the 3 days before you weigh, because it takes 3 days to leave your body, and will effect your results.
    I had lapband surgery 3 years ago... I still have the band, but it's not full anymore. (I have Realize, not the original LapBand, but it's the same concept, just a different brand). Mine holds a total of 11 cc's, and has 5 1/2. I've had some issues, too... slipping from vomiting too much when I got a stomach bug--twice--and I had to have all the saline removed and put back in *slowly*. Twice. Pregnancy; blah blah blah. I'd lost a total of 120 pounds in just over a year, and then I got sick and had all the saline taken out and gained 25 back... then I got pregnant. ... then I got a bug and had to have it all out again. Right now, I'm back to needing to get off a good 40 pounds. With very little restriction. It sucks. My recommendation is to exercise, exercise, and then exercise some more. Make sure, regardless of counting carbs or calories, that you are burning more than you're eating--this site helps me with that *so much*!!! And make sure you drink plenty of water. My friend is a trainer, and she takes my head off if I don't drink as close to a gallon of water as I can get every day. Try doing at least 3 days of cardio exercise and 3 or 4 days of strength training. The more muscle you build, the more fat you will burn.
    I hope this helps at least a little! Good luck!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Do both? They are not mutually exclusive.

From what you have said it seems that carbs are crowding out protein and fat. I would suggest focusing on getting sufficient protein and fat and then letting carbs fall where they may for the remainder.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I find that when I do low-carb, I shed weight like crazy. I can eat all of the protein smoothies, fruits, veggies, and meats I want without looking out for calories...but the second I have some pasta or a sandwich, it's all over.

Hmmm... Most fruits have a buckload of carbs, honey! It's all in the brain ;)

I've done low carb for a while, worked like a charm, lasted like dust in the wind. No way in hell was I going to give up my fruits and other carbs for life. So now I say low calorie 100%.
  • DopeyDudleyDursley
    Options
    I would say a lot of this depends on how active you are. I find that when I am in a routine of jogging every day or every other day, I need to up my total intake of carbohydrates. However, times when I am unable to exercise as often (such as finals week), I tend to consume less carbohydrates or simply consume more complex carbohydrates (whole-grain, rice) and have some positive results. I also am slightly hypoglycemia though, thus my need for carbohydrates (sugar) may differ ultimately from yours. Hopefully this helped some. Best of luck, with whichever option you choose. :)

And forgot to say if you go low carb, you will lose weight quickly as your body enters what I think is called like ketosis. However, if you maintain this for a long time, your body will start to pull out all your glycogen from your muscles and can experience some terrible side effects such as headaches/dizzyness. I discovered this my senior year of high school.
  • hafbreed02
    Options
    Hello all....first things first, this may get confusing to some, but it is as straight forward as I can put it. Everyone in this community is different, I hope you would all agree. There is not one canned program that will work for everybody, and I hate to sound harsh, but 3 large meals, and 3 small meals will definitely put weight on you....ben there, done that......IT DOES NOT RAMP UP YOUR METABILISM! The major factor in an improved metabilism is the amount of lean tissue..(muscle) that you carry on your body. That's why some strength training does wonders for all! That is one of the biggest myths ever perpetrated on people....used to believe it myself...(former semi-pro football, USVBA Mens Volleyball, & ISSA Personal Trainer). I'll probably get more flack for this, but I got the best results with myself, my wife, and former clients using, "Intermittent Fasting" or "IF", for short.
    You get all your calories in 2 meals, which takes place in an 8 hr eating window....you decide your own window. The biggest trick to losing weight is #1 consistency, #2 fasted moderate pace cardio...(30-40 min is fine for most), having a good positive attitude works also! This is a lifestyle, not a challenge, BUT, the good news is that once you have reached your goals....for the most part, maintenance is easy. I truly hope this helps someone with their goals.....

P.S.,......turn off the TV.....fitness infomercials lie, and they will confuse the hell out of you!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Low carb usually equates to a low calorie / high fat / moderate protein diet. It's sustainable for some, but not all.

Personally, LC is the only diet that has ever worked for me, and I almost feel bad calling it a diet, because it's more of a life style now.

But like I said, it's not for everyone. You're just going to have to experiment to see what works for you.

Edit: I've lost way more than just "water weight" and I've been on a true LC diet....It has been a little over 3 months, and I've lost a couple of dress sizes, and I'm about to lose another....I'm losing actual mass...

Please don't spread misinformation.
  • mnqi
    mnqi Posts: 36
    Options
    I agree with the posters. I think you have to do what is best for you and what works best for you. For me, I am still hungry when I eat carbs. I could eat a bowl of oatmeal and a scone and looking for my midday snack. But, if I eat 2 hard boiled eggs I am satisified. If you are eating healthy carbs like fruits and veggies, that is probably best....natures food. And stay away from the processed ones. good luck
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Low Carb for me. You can eat a lot more when you are eating whole foods (meat, veggies, nuts, berries, etc). Carbs, especially refined carbs, tend to cause cravings for other things. If I eat some refined carbs, then I start craving sweet stuff. I find if I can get off sugar and refined carbs, ALL cravings go away. I do best when my carbs are between 50-75 - with most of those carbs coming from veggies, nuts, berries, etc. I don't let myself freak if I go over on carbs because I had a sweet potato, for example.

At the same time, you need to keep your calories in a defecit. That being said, for me, it's pretty hard to go over when you are eating nutrient dense foods.

I agree. If I have something sweet or heavy on the carb side, I crave stuff all day. I have to have something high in protein in the morning. Plus, I discovered with doing low carb my allergy congestion has almost completely gone away (I just started low carbing a couple of months ago). But like others have said, do what feels best for you. :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I choose moderate carbs and moderate calories. I don't eat grains with every meal, but I usually do have them at some point in the day - usually one - three servings.

I eat around 1500-1700 calories, which is MFP suggestions, plus eating my exercise calories back.