Are artifical sweeteners safe?

Options
ajsquale
ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
I'm starting to get really confused because I keep hearing that artificial sweeteners (mainly aspartame or other common ones) are REALLY bad for you and can cause a whole lot of health problems. I'm trying to research it more, and I've come along a lot of articles that say that there's really no proof that artificial sweeteners cause cancer or other illnesses, but that they really are safe to use, and those sources (WebMD and Mayo Clinic) seem a lot more reliable than ones that say it's bad for you. What are your thoughts? Are there other reliable resources out there that may explain it easily?

Replies

• Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I am a rare one who can't digest it in my brain and it causes me to get migraines. there was a study done where it is found it caused bladder cancer in rats and mice.

my rule I follow is if God's doesn't make it I don't eat it
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Just like everything else out there , people feel differently about them. I'm trying to stop using them . I've heard they can cause you to crave more sweets . I drink diet coke all day and have a huge sweet tooth, so maybe giving up diet coke with help my cravings. It's kinda of one those " to each their own".
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition like an allergic reaction or intolerance. Id say yes.
  • gooddrlaura
    Options
    NutraSweet/aspartame is bad. Fake foods are bad. IF it has a label read the label. IF you do not understand what the label says, if you do not get an image of the original plant or animal then put that item back on the shelf.
    Artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors and scents can lead to a laundry list of mysterious dysfunction and disease.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this! I would not do it.
    NutraSweet/aspartame is bad. Fake foods are bad. IF it has a label read the label. IF you do not understand what the label says, if you do not get an image of the original plant or animal then put that item back on the shelf.
    Artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors and scents can lead to a laundry list of mysterious dysfunction and disease.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have been using equal religiously since 2000 - no problems no migraines and i almost NEVER crave anything sweet. I love my salty snacks. With that being said - my kids (all 3) on the hand can not handle them. My oldest (now 19) was getting SEVERE migraines if she had fruit 2 o - no other complications other than the migraines. (real ones..not just a bad headache!) - my younger two (twins) can not have ANYTHING with ANY artificial sweetener AT ALL!!!! Depending on the amount the product uses the sweetener will result in how long the reaction happens - however they will become extremely irritable - emotional and angry!! Without the stuff they are happy little girls - add that and you would think they have massive behavior problems.
    So I am one of those that believes it truly depends on your own chemical make up. If you have ANY reactions to it - avoid it. This is your body telling you that you can not have it.
    I no problems - my own children..severe.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I think it's just like anything else... Moderation is key. And you can't listen to anyone else. Vegetarians will tell you that not to eat meat. Paleo fans will tell you not to eat vegetables. Atkins fans will tell you no carbs. Some people are on low cal, others high cal. On here, everyone is an expert, and will tell you the "right" way to do things - based on their personal experience. You will also get different answers based on your source of "scientific" information - but every scientist is just trying to prove their own theory. I think you should find what is right for YOU. YOU are not a lab rat. If you want to switch to an artifical sweetener then do it. I did, and I have not developed bladder cancer. YET. :flowerforyou:
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Paleo fans will tell you not to eat vegetables.

I think you might be confused... Paleo doesn't eat grains. Vegetables are a HUGE part of a paleo diet!
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    According to Health Canada (available at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/sugar_sub_sucre-eng.php ):

"As with any food, moderation is the key. For example, consuming too many foods containing certain sweetening agents, such as sugar alcohols, may cause some stomach discomfort and have a laxative effect.

People with phenylketonuria (PKU), a genetic disorder, have to control their intake of phenylalanine. Since aspartame contains phenylalanine, products that have aspartame as an ingredient must have a label that reflects this.

Some people have reported sensitivities to aspartame. However, researchers have been unable to confirm these reports through clinical studies. There is ongoing research investigating this issue.

Consumption of sugar substitutes during pregnancy does not pose a health risk. However, pregnant women should avoid consuming too many products containing sugar substitutes, since they may be replacing nutrient-dense, energy-yielding foods needed for a healthy pregnancy." There are also links to further reading on the page.

To add my own anecdotal evidence, I have drunk litres of Diet Coke, used Sugar Twin, Nutrasweet and Equal in my coffe/tea with no problems. Currently I favour Splenda for the taste and for the ability to use it in cooking. I believe it is completely safe.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Paleo fans will tell you not to eat vegetables.

I think you might be confused... Paleo doesn't eat grains. Vegetables are a HUGE part of a paleo diet!

Whatever. I think I got my point across - but thank you for the correction.
  • hoffma25
    hoffma25 Posts: 36
    Options
    I am a believer that if anything is made with chemicals, it is probably not best to eat it. I was dx'ed with Hodgkin's Disease in 07 after religiously consuming junk and diet pop for a year or more. The disease doesn't run in my family. Coincidence? I don't know, but I'm shooting for the more natural diet these days.
  • ChristinaK69
    Options
    anything artificial can't be good for you. I don't care what research or the media says. I try to avoid them at all cost. I would rather be safe than sorry.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've used all types of sweetners for more than 10 years with no ill effects
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    About 99% of the stories in the media regarding Artificial sweetners all say the same thing "Lets read this study & blow it WAY out of proportion"

Yes, some studies have shown it can cause health issues can be exacerbated by the stuff. But as for the ones causing cancer, the numbers show that it would have to be an amount of practically half a tonne a year for about 50 years.
  • naner61
    naner61 Posts: 85
    Options
    Everyone has a different opinion but bottom line....Don't eat fake food! Experts always say there is no threat, but really everyone has different body composition and no one can say for sure that it is not harmful to your health.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Safe, sure. Good for you, not so much. Long term they can have side effects
  • wallerdc
    wallerdc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Out of all artificial sweeteners, Splenda is probably the least likely to cause problems. I wouldn't touch Aspartame (which, unfortunately is found in a lot of "diet" products) with a 10-foot pole.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx
  • BluMeeni
    BluMeeni Posts: 1
    Options
    If you've ever seen "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" or "Food Matters" on Netflix, they have really great points from various nutritionists, including those that focus on cancer fighting/ causing foods. A lot of things are stuffed with chemicals so manufacturers get you hooked on certain products such as combining caffeine and aspartame sweeteners which is why a lot of people have addictions to diet soda.

You're never going to get a definitive answer on what to eat and what not to eat because people have such varying opinions, so it's really up to you. My personal opinion (like a lot of people that have already answered haha) is if it has a ton of ingredients that you can't even pronounce or know where they come from, they're probably not good for you. I don't think our bodies were built to consume foods that are loaded with chemicals. Our bodies were meant to be sustained on natural vegetables and lean meats. But-- I enjoy Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper as much as anyone else, so I don't think it will horrible if you treat yourself once in a while. :) You know your body best, so whatever you feel is right for you. :)
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Most things are ok in moderation. I've learned to love the taste of coffee without loading it up with sweeteners. For me ice cold unsweetened tea or water quenches a thirst better than a cold glass of diet sweet tea or diet soda. It's a personal preference.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are safe.