Upping protein - sodium issues and no weight loss?

Options
I'm trying to up my protein. I generally eat low protein which I know I need to improve. My trainer gave me a target to start with (which is still below where I should ultimately be) and I've been doing OK the last 2 weeks hitting that target. But, my sodium is over every day - usually by 200 to 500 grams. I've also seen zero weight loss. That could be due to the sodium, or due to the new workout with my trainer. Still, its frustrating. Do others have issues with sodium as they up their protein? I'm not a big fan of meat. I eat chicken, and ground beef on rare occasion. I do love ham though (high sodium) and have added cheese and nuts (both higher sodium). I've switched a lot of my lunches to a sandwich but that's really high sodium.

Suggestions? Sympathy? LOL...

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You are seeing a lot of sodium because you are eating a lot of high sodium foods (i.e. processed foods), plain and simple. Ham and lunch meat have a ton of sodium in them and to be honest are not the best sources of protein. High sodium means excess water weight because the salt will absorb the water, plain and simple.

How does the mirror and clothes test work? Are you starting to see changes in the mirror or with the way your clothes fit? These are better tests for true fat loss (not weight loss) than a scale will ever be, especially when you start incorporating a weight training routine into it.

Just a general question, what is it you don't like about chicken/beef? If it's the flavor, maybe you need to find new recipes that will help mask that flavor (i.e. BBQ sauce on chicken, tacos with the seasoning packets, etc.). Otherwise, you can look into whey protein powders, mix with a little milk and they are really not that bad.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

What is your concern with your protein, are you suffering from deficiencies?

I'm trying to minimize lean mass loss as I lose the rest of my weight. I've done well so far, but not as good as I could have done due to my lower protein intake.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    You are seeing a lot of sodium because you are eating a lot of high sodium foods (i.e. processed foods), plain and simple. Ham and lunch meat have a ton of sodium in them and to be honest are not the best sources of protein. High sodium means excess water weight because the salt will absorb the water, plain and simple.

How does the mirror and clothes test work? Are you starting to see changes in the mirror or with the way your clothes fit? These are better tests for true fat loss (not weight loss) than a scale will ever be, especially when you start incorporating a weight training routine into it.

Just a general question, what is it you don't like about chicken/beef? If it's the flavor, maybe you need to find new recipes that will help mask that flavor (i.e. BBQ sauce on chicken, tacos with the seasoning packets, etc.). Otherwise, you can look into whey protein powders, mix with a little milk and they are really not that bad.

Yes, I'm aware of the high sodium content of ham and lunch meat - I put that in my original post.

Mirror and clothes - I'm not getting any smaller currently. Saying not to focus on the scale is not super helpful for someone who is still well over a healthy weight. It becomes much more relevant for someone already at a healthy weight.

I like chicken and we eat it frequently. But I can't feed my family chicken every day and I'm not going to eat it 3 times a day. Beef, I don't like. I only eat it in things like spaghetti, lasagna, tacos - ie something in a sauce. Which also means additional sodium. I personally don't like protein powders - I don't like eating 'fake' food, especially with such a high calorie count.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

I'm trying to minimize lean mass loss as I lose the rest of my weight. I've done well so far, but not as good as I could have done due to my lower protein intake.
    To minimize lean mass loss during weight loss you need to lift heavy weights. Increasing your protein isn't going to do it.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna in water, fresh or frozen shrimp, fresh or frozen salmon filets, greek yogurt, High protein cereal like Kashi or Benefit Nutrition with milk, eggs, are all low-calorie, low-sodium options in place of beef or chicken. I also buy low-sodium bacon.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

To minimize lean mass loss during weight loss you need to lift heavy weights. Increasing your protein isn't going to do it.

Did you see the part about my personal trainer? I need more protein for the work I'm doing, hence the question.

And my deficit each day is really only about 500 calories.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Canned tuna in water, fresh or frozen shrimp, fresh or frozen salmon filets, greek yogurt, High protein cereal like Kashi or Benefit Nutrition with milk, eggs, are all low-calorie, low-sodium options in place of beef or chicken. I also buy low-sodium bacon.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't care for seafood. Love milk and eggs and do eat greek yogurt. I do have some protein bars I like that I have for breakfast or snacks sometimes.

I don't know how people do like 120 g a day. I'm having a hard enough time hitting 80. Except on my long run days. No problems there since I have the calories to support it.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great suggestions and your replies to those are generally pretty b*tchy. Maybe you should be thankful anyone even took the time to reply.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

Did you see the part about my personal trainer?
    Yes, I did see that part. Did you see your part "I'm trying to minimize lean mass loss as I lose the rest of my weight?" Read my original post again. It's still true.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great suggestions and your replies to those are generally pretty b*tchy. Maybe you should be thankful anyone even took the time to reply.

no, she got a couple good suggestions and replies from people who clearly didn't read her post very closely.

personally if you're only going over by 500 and and drinking enough water, i don't think it's an issue. i go over by over 1,000 most days lol. do your best, and keep your water intake up.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of protein powder to my Greek yogurt each morning, and eat hard boiled eggs for lunch.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

Did you see the part about my personal trainer?
    Yes, I did see that part. Did you see your part "I'm trying to minimize lean mass loss as I lose the rest of my weight?" Read my original post again. It's still true.

I'm doing heavy lifting. With a personal trainer. And you need protein to support that. Hence my question, again.
  • Sohmern
    Sohmern Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    With not liking many forms of protein (fish, beef, protein powder) it will be difficult for you to hit your goals. There are only so many ways to get protein without taking in a ton of sodium. Try making deviled egg and taking them for lunch. Almonds are also another small snack that has good protein levels.
  • amytaylorwilliamdrake
    Options
    y
  • omma_to_3
    Options

Gosh, this was so helpful. I appropriately responded to the people who actually gave helpful advice for the question I asked.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    With not liking many forms of protein (fish, beef, protein powder) it will be difficult for you to hit your goals. There are only so many ways to get protein without taking in a ton of sodium. Try making deviled egg and taking them for lunch. Almonds are also another small snack that has good protein levels.

It is hard. I do eat almonds frequently but they contain sodium as well (at least most). Thanks for the suggestions.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    y

I know you deleted your post, but everyone has preferences in what they like/don't like. I was hoping for suggestions about things I haven't thought of.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If your sodium intake is set around 2000mg/d and you are only missing it by 200 - 500mg, I doubt that has anything to do with it. When I eat only low fat meats and stay away from processed foods my sodium levels have dropped as low as 600mg/d and I eat 180 - 240g of protein per day. That level of sodium actually turned out to be too low so now I add salt to keep a good balance.

There are a lot of things we do on the fat loss road that "we do not like." You have to learn how to cook things so you do like them, or just go with the flow and let the chips fall how they will. Meat and eggs are the most efficient (most filling too) way to get protein for anyone that is not a vegan. Some of the other protein sources come with other things or are incomplete.

Good luck
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to up my protein. I generally eat low protein which I know I need to improve. My trainer gave me a target to start with (which is still below where I should ultimately be) and I've been doing OK the last 2 weeks hitting that target. But, my sodium is over every day - usually by 200 to 500 grams. I've also seen zero weight loss. That could be due to the sodium, or due to the new workout with my trainer. Still, its frustrating. Do others have issues with sodium as they up their protein? I'm not a big fan of meat. I eat chicken, and ground beef on rare occasion. I do love ham though (high sodium) and have added cheese and nuts (both higher sodium). I've switched a lot of my lunches to a sandwich but that's really high sodium.

Suggestions? Sympathy? LOL...

I consider cheese and nuts more of a fat source than protein.

I don't worry about sodium. Unless you have a medical issue, going over isn't going to be that big of a deal. I do try not to go crazy but being over 200-500 isn't a big deal to me.

You have mentioned protein powder (not that I saw) or protein bars. I don't use them every day but they are great on days where I am low. My favourite bar is an all natural one but its a small Canadian company which aren't very widespread so probably won't help. Quest bars are good to.

My other thought - eggs and egg whites. I think someone else already mentioned Greek yogurt.