I feel a relapse coming on!!

Options
Hi I'm a newbie here and in need of some motivation. I joined MFP around a month ago, and initially lost around 5 lbs, but since the past week the weight's slowly coming back on. It's becoming harder to stay on track and I'm getting tired of the same old food everyday too. I feel a relapse coming on!!

I think I need a change in diet. I'd love to know what other people are eating and maybe incorporate some of it?

Replies

• CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just started and like many of us, this is the hardest problem. Like you, I need variety and so I use this as a fitness tool to plan my meals.

I forward a day that doesn't have anything on it and say to myself: Tomorrow I want pizza and a salad from Dions. I will enter what a pizza slice and a salad will cost me calorie wise and see what it leaves me. If I can make it work for my day, it's scheduled for that day. Same thing with snacks....I love ding dongs, and chocolate cupcakes.....I plug those in, then work around them. Then I delete them from that day. When the day for those needs comes, I plug them in accordingly.

It has helped me plan my meals for the next day, while providing me the variety I need.

I do have one down fall....I have not mastered the "road trip" eating as evidenced by this last weekend. Still working that issue.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Most of the active members on the boards have their diaries open. When you see someone whose posts make sense, check out what they are eating.
  • LauraW1219
    LauraW1219 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Watch carbs, strength train, watch your sodium, make sure you get good amount of sleep and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Kinda hard to "diagnose" without any specifics and an open diary, so I'll just say "eat less, run more, and lift heavy stuff."
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Try checking out this page on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSassyGourmet

Stop dieting and just start incorporating real food and cutting back on bad foods.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to help without an open diary to see what you're doing - either open it (and let me know!) or shoot me a message with what your typical day looks like and I'll give you my best tips!
  • drannisaac
    Options
    Hey thanks, didn't know I could see other people's diaries.
    Carrying a meal forward sounds like a great idea, CMgoodie. What happened at your roadtrip?
  • drannisaac
    Options
    It's open now. Thanks for the support!!
  • Switzer12
    Switzer12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey, there, just try different things that are good for you, and eat slowly. I have treats, but cut them in half or skip a day without any. Also, I learned from a friend of mine who had stomach issues, thank goodness I don't, to eat delicately. She brought scanty amount of food to work and spread it all out. It might be 1/2 sandwich and a small sandwich bag of chips, with 1/2 apple and maybe one cookie. It took her about an hour to eat her food, as she had learned to eat very slowly. Also, I have, when the food allows, been eating with my left hand - that definitely slows me down.

I too have joined this site before and then quit logging in and 6 lbs of the 11 I had lost came back over time. So try to hang in there. It will be so worth it.

Good luck.
  • capie123
    capie123 Posts: 34
    Options
    You can always check friends food plans for ideas. Best of wishes. It's always ups and downs like life. No one's perfect
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Check friends diaries for ideas of foods to eat.

Change up what exercise you are doing to shake things up. Where I am the weather is starting to get nicer out so it's easier to get outside more for walks. My husband and I take our dog out for a walk whenever we can. It's nice to get out and get some exercise. We also walk to the grocery store when we just need a few things ... the store is only about a 20 min each way walk which isn't bad. We also walk to Tim Hortons if we decide we want a coffee instead of driving there.

Change up what you are eating. Instead of a chicken breast and veggies for dinner, chop up some veggies, add in some rice/quinoa and than chop up the chicken. Make a stir fry. Or make a wrap... or a salad. I find i do best when I consistantly change up what i am eating. Tons of ideas out there on the internet.

Don't give up because you will just wish you hadn't in the future. You won't lose weight each week which sucks but it's what happens in weight loss.

Your diary isn't open so I can't comment on ways to switch up what you are eating. Just keep trying new things. Pull out the recipe books... try new things. My husband and I try to pick up a different fruit or vegetable each time we go to the store for groceries. Something we haven't had before. It changes things up and opens up the variety.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Start planning out a weekly menu. I do Mon-Sat, and write down breakfast, lunch and dinner for each day. I try to throw in a couple new things every week, and plan my lunches around leftovers.

Here's a couple great recipe sites:

skinnytaste.com
    http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/
    http://theoatmealartist.blogspot.com/
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    Honestly just getting started was difficult for me. I needed just the right motivation. When I did finally start, for good (my ticker doesn't represent my full loss of over 40 pounds), I had to do it in stages. Honestly I just cut back on what I was eating amount wise. I started by walking around at lunch, which became easier and faster as I went.

As I was losing weight I found it easier to eat less, and once I wasn't at the point where I felt hungry all the time I started slowly bringing in things that were healthier. Small steps were totally the key for me. I know that if I had just up and changed my lifestyle all at once it never would have worked.

For my fiance, however, he did a challenge where he went vegan for a month. At the end of the month he found it much easier to change his normal daily intake.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What worked best for me was to slowly change. Here is what I did. I started working out 2-3 days a week and I started watching what I ate, mainly portion sizes. I started drinking water with lemon in it and cut way back on pop. Then I started eating healthier.....I switched the type of bread ate, cream and sugar in my coffee (now only cream), switched to Olive oil and sea salt. Started eating way more veg and fruit, but still had a snack one in awhile. I thought to myself.....well it is better then what I used to do. Now today (5 months later) I work out 6 days a week, drink plain water (having a lemon in it is a treat) I CRAVE (which honestly I can not believe this) Veg. I eat only lean protein. I had a Jelly bean the other day and I just about gagged because of all the sugar. Am I perfect? Heck NO and I don't want to be. I want to enjoy a treat now and then. I don't know this is just a suggestion that worked for me. If it helps this is exactly what I did to change my kids eating habits, to this day some of the stuff they are eating they have no idea it is healthy.

I would also suggest to add more friends on here (you can start with me) I found that when I did this I got a lot more motivation to keep on track. In the short time that I have been on MFP I can honestly say I have met some great inspiring people. You got this girl, don't give up. I know that you believe in yourself otherwise you would have never started this journey.
  • drannisaac
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments and advice! I actually did make a few changes - discovered rollerskating, bought a bike, FINALLY convinced my husband to go swimming with me and introduced some changes to my diet - oatmeal and salads. Have lost 3 lbs since my last post! I'm able to do all this because I'm on vacation, but once I start work next week I'll easily get 5,000 - 9,000 steps a day, so I'm not too worried.

Couldn't have done it without your support - great to know I'm not alone!
  • pvtnick
    pvtnick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try changing things up. I started, did well, lost a bout 20 plus pounds then got lazy and gained some back so picking back up. What the diet books and shows don't tell you is that it is a continuous journey. You have to focus on the long term and making the changes that will make a difference over time. You wont lose 20 lbs and then go back to how you lived/ate before without gaining them back. You've got a start so keep your focus on where you want to be and if you slip and fall back just pick up where you're at and keep going.