jogging/running with your dog...a bit different but HELP!

Options

Replies

• toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are watching his sister's dog. She's a Border Collie Mix and since she's a work dog, I can take her out and jog with her as long as I want without her tiring out. She probably about 40 or 50 pounds. Not too big. I'd say go with a work dog as they are very active and will go as long as you can but you will have to be active with them all the time-- they need activity to stay sane and happy.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Our 60lb labradoodle (lab + poodle) loves to run! She and my husband have completed two 5k competitions with impressive times!
    She and I also run Canine Agility - a really fun way to train your dog and get some great exercise.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Love to run with my lab/beagle mix Belle! I take her out every time I run, and she couldn't get enough of it (that's the beagle distance-runner for you). Also she will look like a black lab puppy for the rest of her life because of her big floppy ears and small size (30 lbs)--the smiles of passerby are a great speed booster. :)
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love taking my dog out and with my husband its a little fun outing We also love hiking and our pup does well. Hes medium sized about 30 pounds. He is a mixed bread, chihuahua- beagle is what they told us but I think he may have jack russel in him too. I found this awesome fold-able water bowl with snoopy on it at the dollar store, its made of a windbreaker material and I can fold it in my pocket on our jogs and then just pour him some water from my bottle, it works great! I'm pretty small so i don't think I could take a big dog like my parents have, on a run with me, but I think a tiny tiny dog may not be able to keep up. My pup is great for me!~
  • lesliesmmmacres
    Options
    I totally recommend it. I had a Australian Cattle Dog and she was an amazing dog. I don't have a pic for her and due to being at work I can't post it. But was golden in color but with a coat texture like a german shepherd and features of one as well. She loved running with me and would help to keep me going sometimes when all I wanted to do was walk....lol She was very well behaved on the run and would keep pace well. They are awesome partners to run with, I would love to be able to find another one of her breed. Very loyal and awesome around kids, even my best friends special needs child. She was 70 pounds of love and perfect sized dog.
    Wow...Australian Cattle Dogs usually top about 40-55 lbs--you had an extra big dog! I have all Cattle Dogs-they love to run, they are extreamly smart and easy to train, but also know, they are smarter than you think that a dog could be. So you have to keep them busy with a chore or job to keep them learning and teaching you new things. I also have a miniture poodle, who can keep up with my fast cattle dogs on the ranch any day, any time. ALL OF MY DOGS are rescues!! Including the poodle who came from a mill, and lived for his first 3 years in a crate about three times his size--to this day, he walks in circles when not focused on chasing "his" cattle dogs, horses, chickens, and cats. I totally cannot say enough about finding a rescue-you will get the BEST friend you will ever have since YOU rescued THEM! If you need obedience tips, keep my name and PM me, I have taught obedience for 25 years.... Good luck on your search, and with the right choice you will have a BEST FRIEND for their life!!!
  • javajinny
    javajinny Posts: 78
    Options
    Our rescued half pit bull/half Stafford Bull Terrier LOVES to run. We got her when she was 5 months old so we had very little of the puppy nightmare (bigger dogs generally train easier, like 30lbs and up). She loves to run so much and so fast, that for the first 5 years of her life, her first run of the day was a bike ride for me because I couldn't keep up on my legs. Haha. I'd hold her leash, she'd run full bore. The first lap around the block I'd hold my feet out away from the pedals so she was PULLING my 200lb butt around the block. Then I'd peddal the second lap. She was happy!! Then in the evenings we'd go for a 2 mile jog. Now that she's a senior citizen, we just do the 2 miles, but once a month she does a 5K, 8K, or 10K with me.

Pit bulls and any terrier breed pretty much have boundless energy and would spend the whole day running. It took a little training to get her to stay beside me (on the leash) and not get in front of me or try to sniff everything, but after about a month she was golden. Good luck with your dog hunting!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Love to run with my lab/beagle mix Belle! I take her out every time I run, and she couldn't get enough of it (that's the beagle distance-runner for you). Also she will look like a black lab puppy for the rest of her life because of her big floppy ears and small size (30 lbs)--the smiles of passerby are a great speed booster. :)

I bet she's adorable. I am in love with Beagles too. IPic?

My GSDs clear the sidewalk for me. People literally cross the road when they see us, and they are very well trained plus I move to the other side so I am between the person and my dog as I realize some people are nervous of dogs.

My speed boost come from my GSD trying to catch up and pass people. He likes to lead. Lol.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I fostered a couple greyhounds from our local rescue, and they LOVED to go on runs with me. Very gentle dogs, not overly active, and really beautiful.

Of course, it was just a trot for the dog, since their legs are quite long =)

i use to have a borzoi, also a sighthound breed. He was fantastic to run with the only problem i had was when there was something to hunt he would be gone! But that was probably because i got him when he was already 5 yrs old and i couldnt train him from start.

Now i have a collie/chow mix and he always hated to run and now he is 14yrs old and dosnt move much anymore at all.

Thinking about getting a border collie, aussie or german shep next i always loved the herding breeds
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I can do about 3 miles kinda slowly with my little man, but he gets a little tuckered out after that. He's my pace dog :-) at 10 years old, an Australian Cattle Dog, medium height and around 50lbs. And a rescue at that!

232323232%7Ffp54356%3Enu%3D4483%3E86%3A%3E534%3EWSNRCG%3D36458445%3C2348nu0mrj

We also have a 1yo Chi-Chi (Chinese Crested/Chihuahua mix) that I found abandoned on the side of the road with all her doggie gear. Yay for rescues! She's not much of a runner at 7 pounds, but she's very feisty and loves her walks!

232323232%7Ffp543%3C3%3Enu%3D4483%3E86%3A%3E534%3EWSNRCG%3D3645834393348nu0mrj
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    We have a shih tzu. He's a very small dog which can make it hard to run with him. He is good when I go for a light jog.

There is a girl near me that goes running with her lab quite often. If you are a faster runner it will probably be easier to run with a larger dog.

Whichever breed you go with, ensure you start them off slowly. They are a lot like humans and can't do long distance quicker runs right away. It's best to start them off slowly with shorter runs or slower runs. When I started jogging with my dog I would do intervals. Jog a bit, than walk... jog a bit than walk again. Starting them off slowly will help them be able to run longer with you.

I prefer to adopt dogs from a shelter. As someone else pointed out, go to a shelter and see if they will let you take the dogs out. If they have a decent sized outdoor area ask if you can take one dog out at a time. Jog around the area they have (or the building if they don't have much of an outside area) to see how the dog is. You can than get a feel for the different breeds and ages of the dogs. And, you get to rescue a dog which is always great to do. Far too often shelters do not have a no kill policy which is very sad. The next dog I get will be a rescue... they can be the sweetest things.

Also try to research breeds. FInd out which would be best for your lifestyle.
  • lesliesmmmacres
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are watching his sister's dog. She's a Border Collie Mix and since she's a work dog, I can take her out and jog with her as long as I want without her tiring out. She probably about 40 or 50 pounds. Not too big. I'd say go with a work dog as they are very active and will go as long as you can but you will have to be active with them all the time-- they need activity to stay sane and happy.
    Perfect DOGS--- :flowerforyou:
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    brutus_zpscaee9a02.jpg

This is my guy. A two year old English Bulldog. He is great, but sheds a lot. I'm sure you can probably tell by his pic, but he isn't the best runner. However he loves long walks and intermittent jogging/ walking. He actually has a lot of energy when he goes out, but is a total couch potato in the house.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You can search for something like "dog breed for me". I found one on iams.com. You go through and put in your criteria and they come up with breeds for your lifestyle and wants. That may help you narrow down your search.

Also, I had a smooth coated collie. Great dog, very even temperment, couch potato, very intelligent, nonbarker, but not a great runner (she would get sick and throw up) although we only tried running her a couple of times and then quit. Awesome dog.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My GSDs clear the sidewalk for me. People literally cross the road when they see us, and they are very well trained plus I move to the other side so I am between the person and my dog as I realize some people are nervous of dogs.

My speed boost come from my GSD trying to catch up and pass people. He likes to lead. Lol.

lol, my GSD does the same thing, clears the sidewalks. Makes for a nice walk. I'm the same way about keeping between him and passersby. He's not aggressive unless someone tries to lay a hand on me, then it's game on.

I'm not a jogger but I have no doubt in my mind that he'd have run all day every day when he was a couple years younger. He's 8 now and has slowed down just a bit and is having some hip issues. He got worked pretty hard when he was younger, agility, advanced obedience, protection work. Lots of physical stuff. He'll still play ball till your arm falls off.

45.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

lol, my GSD does the same thing, clears the sidewalks. Makes for a nice walk. I'm the same way about keeping between him and passersby. He's not aggressive unless someone tries to lay a hand on me, then it's game on.

I'm not a jogger but I have no doubt in my mind that he'd have run all day every day when he was a couple years younger. He's 8 now and has slowed down just a bit and is having some hip issues. He got worked pretty hard when he was younger, agility, advanced obedience, protection work. Lots of physical stuff. He'll still play ball till your arm falls off.

45.jpg

:heart:

I love a working dog. My older one had a bit of protection work, he was a K9 washout. The younger one is my husband's partner. I'd love to do it recreationally but we don't have any options around here.
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have a 8 year old Black Lab who I jog with occasionally. We walk a lot, sometimes two or three times a day and during the summer we will add some jogging in. She loves it (even after two CCL surgeries) and is very high energy so it's a great outlet for her. We are in town so she's always on a lead. As with people you'll need to condition them for it, so if you want to run 6 miles with them start them out with a 1 mile run , then work up to a two etc. I would strongly recommend looking at rescue groups in your area. Contact them and let them know you would like the dog to run with you. Most of the time their dogs are in foster homes where the foster parents learn their temperament, health and energy levels (even in a specific breed the energy level can vary greatly). This helps them to find more prefect homes for the dogs and a perfect fit for you.

Not sure where you are but I have friends who work with rescue groups in Georgia, New England & Illinois if you want any info I'd be glad to share.
  • TexanAngel79
    Options
    I run with my Boxer!! Great family dog and great running partner!! Boxers need to get out and work off some energy!! My sweet Leia now goes to the door and looks at her leash and then looks at me! You say walk, and she's an excited girl!!
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My two huskies absolutely love to run with me. I have a belt that I hook them to in order to keep my hands free, and pulling harnesses that they wear. The second they hear me get the harnesses out they go nuts. I've hooked them up to my bicycle with these lines and harnesses, as well as the belt, and they love it all.

This is my two and my brother in law's two when we were out trail running back in October
    377429_10151200712753349_793454566_n.jpg
  • nurse_ratty
    nurse_ratty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Malamutes are an arctic breed (like huskies) and are a very active breed. Most like to run, bikejor and skijor.