Are artifical sweeteners safe?

Options
13»

Replies

• KPopovski23
    KPopovski23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are TERRIBLE for you. Watch "Hungry for Change" on Netflix. It will change your opinion of food altogether. I try to live a very clean lifestyle.

Here's what the experts from this documentary says:
    Aspartame, (E951) more popularly known as Nutrasweet, Splenda, Sweet n Low, and Equal, is often found in foods labeled "diet" or "sugar free". Aspartame is believed to be carcinogenic and accounts for more reports of adverse reactions than all other foods and food additives combined. Aspartame is not your friend. Aspartame is a neurotoxin and carcinogen. Known to erode intelligence and affect short-term memory, the components of this toxic sweetener may lead to a wide variety of ailments including brain tumor, diseases like lymphoma, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue, emotional disorders like depression and anxiety attacks, dizziness, headaches, nausea, mental confusion, migraines and seizures.

Always choose raw, unprocessed sugars, or if you don't want the extra calories, try Stevia. It's derived from a leaf and completely natural and safe.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are TERRIBLE for you. Watch "Hungry for Change" on Netflix. It will change your opinion of food altogether. I try to live a very clean lifestyle.

Aspartame, (E951) more popularly known as Nutrasweet, Splenda, Sweet n Low, and Equal, is often found in foods labeled "diet" or "sugar free". Aspartame is believed to be carcinogenic and accounts for more reports of adverse reactions than all other foods and food additives combined. Aspartame is not your friend. Aspartame is a neurotoxin and carcinogen. Known to erode intelligence and affect short-term memory, the components of this toxic sweetener may lead to a wide variety of ailments including brain tumor, diseases like lymphoma, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue, emotional disorders like depression and anxiety attacks, dizziness, headaches, nausea, mental confusion, migraines and seizures.

Always choose raw, unprocessed sugars, or if you don't want the extra calories, try Stevia. It's derived from a leaf and completely natural and safe.

Stop, unless you're going to actually substantiate such claims instead of fear mongering from a documentary
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Go to Dr. Mercola.com. He has great info, and, yes, avoid artificial sweetners at all costs. you are better off having sugar. Avoid high fructose corn syrup, genetically modified foods, and overdosing on wheat products. your life will be better, and your body will thank you

susan

Mercola is a quack. I'd avoid doing anything he says.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    For me...for MY body personally, I try to avoid artificial sweeteners as much as possible.

I weaned myself off of a three diet Dr. Pepper a day habit a few months back, and I drank them for YEARS. When I drank them, I stayed hungry all the time. Since I've cut them out, I'm not quite so hungry all the time.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Aspartame, (E951) more popularly known as Nutrasweet, Splenda, Sweet n Low, and Equal,

Those "experts" obviously have no clue what they're talking about, since they clearly don't know the ingredients of the above sweeteners.
  • mixtaplix
    mixtaplix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Meh. We're all gonna die sometime...I happen to not mind splenda in my coffee. And stevia in my tea. I also just inhaled 6 chocolate easter eggs. It's all about the moderation. ( I held off eating the other 23 eggs....)
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Ants will not go to artificial chemicals because they don't know what it is. LOL. I try and stick by a mostly natural/organic diet (splurging occasionally), and I won't do chemicals. One of the things asparatame breaks down into is formaldehyde. Ew!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Perfectly safe in sensible moderation.

But if it gives you migraines, sure, best to avoid it - just like individuals should avoid any food which gives them problems - be it diet coke, oranges, tomatoes, peanuts, or anything else.
  • bens_goal
    bens_goal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This does worry me, I cut so much junk food out (after I had quit smoking too). No more full-fat coke etc...

But the one last vice I have is Pepsi Max... Now I dont drink litres of it a day, at the beginning of my diet it was like 2 cans... now its like a can every other day...

But I do hear aspartame does cause severe damage?
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Stevia and honey are ok...another is Truvia. I certainly would stay away from aspartame.
    lockmand
  • otterish
    otterish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My experience with aspartame is horrifying. I like sucralose (Splenda) but stopped using it daily because it's sooo expensive. I know exactly what's in sugar and can handle the whopping 15 calories per teaspoon, so that's my sweetener of choice. YMMV.
  • mikeberthold
    mikeberthold Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My experience with aspartame is horrifying. I like sucralose (Splenda) but stopped using it daily because it's sooo expensive. I know exactly what's in sugar and can handle the whopping 15 calories per teaspoon, so that's my sweetener of choice. YMMV.

I just bought 1500 packets of Kirkland Signature sucralose (Costco's splenda basically) for only around $12 Canadian, so there's always that if you liked Splenda.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you've ever seen "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" or "Food Matters" on Netflix, they have really great points from various nutritionists, including those that focus on cancer fighting/ causing foods. A lot of things are stuffed with chemicals so manufacturers get you hooked on certain products such as combining caffeine and aspartame sweeteners which is why a lot of people have addictions to diet soda.

You're never going to get a definitive answer on what to eat and what not to eat because people have such varying opinions, so it's really up to you. My personal opinion (like a lot of people that have already answered haha) is if it has a ton of ingredients that you can't even pronounce or know where they come from, they're probably not good for you. I don't think our bodies were built to consume foods that are loaded with chemicals. Our bodies were meant to be sustained on natural vegetables and lean meats. But-- I enjoy Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper as much as anyone else, so I don't think it will horrible if you treat yourself once in a while. :) You know your body best, so whatever you feel is right for you. :)

Hate to tell you but natural vegetables and lean meats are also chock full of chemicals

Haha yep! There's this really common chemical... you actually drink it everyday and it makes up the majority of your cells, it's called H20. That breathe of air you just inhaled? Yep full of chemicals. That movement that just happened in your hand? That was a chemical reaction.

Oh and for the OP, if it's said on TV it must be true right? Just like how Splenda is aspartame?? Actually, it's not. It's sucralose.
  • ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who posted! It's still crazy how many different things people say, though. I've watched Hungry for Change and that's what got me thinking that aspartame was terrible for you, but after looking it up on more reliable sources, they say there's really no proof. I think most of you are right that say moderation is key!
  • BuffOwl
    BuffOwl Posts: 5
    Options
    I use Stevia. Sweetleaf brand is the most highly recommended or Stevia in the Raw is fine. Just what for any fillers. It is by far the most natural sweetner available. You can buy Sweetleaf in healthfood stores or on line. Walmart and other grocery stores typically carry Stevia in the Raw.
  • rjc0914
    rjc0914 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just spit my water out while reading this hahaha
  • rjc0914
    rjc0914 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Due to chemicals in food, I've died three times, and grown 2 extra arms and one leg.

Also, I drive a tonne of metal around, fly at 600mph and talk to people via a plastic thing on my desk that all emit radiation and one I hold to my ear, but they are all safe.

I just spit my water out while reading this hahahaha
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Due to chemicals in food, I've died three times, and grown 2 extra arms and one leg.

Also, I drive a tonne of metal around, fly at 600mph and talk to people via a plastic thing on my desk that all emit radiation and one I hold to my ear, but they are all safe.

I just spit my water out while reading this hahahaha

Its true! Aspartame is PROTEIN.

The other things - cars, planes, computers and mobiles are certainly not natural, the two former items can kill instantly and other two certainly hold a greater risk in my eyes (still happily use them both) than some halfwitted answers on chemicals people don't understand.

Especially as they munch on their fruit, veg etc thinking they are healthy, not even passing a care that they were grown in chemicals, and even if organic, those fertilizers work because they contain the chemicals the plant/veg needed to grow... from animals that ate polluter grass and were fed hormones and other chemical feeds.

Ho hum.