Chewing gum - Exercise calories/muscle hypertrophy?

Options
2»

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem! I hadn't chewed gum in ages, then I bought a pack a couple of weeks ago and had one piece. Next day I couldn't figure out why my jaw hurt so bad, especially since I've been single for a while. Then I realized it was the gum! I'm not interested in my jaws bulking up. If you increase the number of pieces you chew at a time, that's like progressive training, so you don't want to do that. Stick to low weights (1 piece) and high reps and you'll be ok. 11 calories an hour is what I've read for calorie burn.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    One more question......My jaw is really sore today but I kind of want some more gum.....Can I chew it today or should I wait until I am no longer sore?
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you do the appropriate jaw stretches, and maybe some inner-mouth deep tissue massage you should be ok, If you need assistance, I'm sure there is a certain beachbody Coachr that would be more than happy to show you how to properly stretch/use your mouth.

Agree to the stretches. You don't want to get no locked jaw.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    guys....these are serious questions. Let's keep this on topic.

#1 - Wearing the HRM around the tongue/face doesn't even make sense.....Its a HEART rate monitor....It should always be around your chest....

#2 - No ideas on Hypertrophy yet? I do not want to have to look at surgical options and it appears that if it becomes an issue that botox is only a temporary solution.

http://www.realself.com/question/botox-permanently-correct-jaw-asymmetry-due-masseter-hypertrophy

oh so it's serious? then --Temporalis Hypertrophy. happens to me. for real. no joke. scary the first time, then i realized I just need to stop chewing on nuts so hard. for so long . husband is relieved. to say the least. :wink:
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    One more question......My jaw is really sore today but I kind of want some more gum.....Can I chew it today or should I wait until I am no longer sore?

You'll need a rest day every other day. No jaw usage. If you hum and create a vibration that will have the effect of a Power Plate.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

You'll need a rest day every other day. No jaw usage. If you hum and create a vibration that will have the effect of a Power Plate.

Yes, rest day for sure!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Reminds me - I never accounted for the calories that I burn grinding my teeth at night (bite guard in place).
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Next day I couldn't figure out why my jaw hurt so bad, especially since I've been single for a while.

Win. :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

#1 - Wearing the HRM around the tongue/face doesn't even make sense.....Its a HEART rate monitor....It should always be around your chest....

#2 - No ideas on Hypertrophy yet? I do not want to have to look at surgical options and it appears that if it becomes an issue that botox is only a temporary solution.

http://www.realself.com/question/botox-permanently-correct-jaw-asymmetry-due-masseter-hypertrophy

Dont worry I was thinking about this yesterday. Would the act of chewing on gum be enough to build the muscles in your jaw and would said muscles help fight gravity around the face and decrease the double chin. I was contemplating it too.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Dont worry I was thinking about this yesterday. Would the act of chewing on gum be enough to build the muscles in your jaw and would said muscles help fight gravity around the face and decrease the double chin. I was contemplating it too.

I'm more worried about my jaw becoming too bulky.....
  • christocentrist
    Options
    This made me laugh A LOT and it was very stress-alleviating. Thank you OP
  • chrissybean1213
    Options
    Maybe if you chewed the whole pack at a time and did slow reps and then rested your jaw to do a more anaerobic workout.

Like this?

jimcarrey.gif