Ladies - Question about TOM

Options
Hi ladies!

So, truthfully, I have been on the depo provera birth control shot for many years now and haven't had a TOM in god knows how long. I don't honestly even remember what TOM pains feel like.

My biggest question is what kind of cravings you guys get during your TOM. Are you able to manage them? Do you find that you're still able to exercise?

I am getting off Depo and going back on the pill and I am dreading what's to come.

Replies

• sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm on Linessa (pill) and I do mostly get chocolate cravings. I eat the king sized bars all in one sitting. (The new Cadbury Bubbles, yum) I still lose, I just have to bulk up the veggies and stuff throughout the week (more than normal)
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Oh, and there's one day that I get horrible cramps so I'm bogged down on the couch all day in PJs (that's usually my chocolate night) but after that one terrible day I'm good to excercise.
  • MrsLovebug1
    MrsLovebug1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I can totally relate this craving to the TOM since I seem to crave it all the time - but Salt... chips/veggie straws, salsa.. that's the worse for me and then I feel like with it being TOM and all the salt, I bloat like a puffer fish!!!!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i had a month break from the depo. now my TOM is so messed up. ive been on it for like 3 weeks now!! going to speak to my doctor on tuesday but apparently thats one of the side effects so yeah dont have a break and then go back on it
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps with cramps. I know, it sounds crazy, and I usually end up skipping my workouts on the first couple days anyway but on the rare times I don't, I never regret it. Getting started is hard, but afterwards you feel great. Swimming is the best possible exercise all around, but especially for this time, because it's low-stress and the warm water will also help with the cramps.

I also tend to indulge my cravings, but try to stay in the ballpark of my calorie goal for the day. My TOM may justify a couple chocolate bars, but it doesn't justify going over by 500 cals or more! It just makes the bloating and crankiness worse anyway, because then I'm upset at myself for overeating.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    i had a month break from the depo. now my TOM is so messed up. ive been on it for like 3 weeks now!! going to speak to my doctor on tuesday but apparently thats one of the side effects so yeah dont have a break and then go back on it

I actually did that back in December. I've been on depo for years now, almost 4 I believe, and it actually lessens your bone density and greatly increases your risk for osteoperosis and bone breaks even earlier in life... So I decided to try and get off of it. Got an IUD put in, and my body rejected it and I was in the emergency room with an almost perforated uterus. Needless to say, I got back on the depo quickly and my body was less than impressed with my stupidity. Now I am actually off of it for good. Starting pills tonight.
  • LaurenOliver
    Options
    Normally I can not work out during the first 2-3 days. It's just too painful and there is too much going on downtown. I eat pieces of chocolate more often during that week, but I don't know if that is actual craving or just habit. If anything I eat much less because the food sets the cramps into motion and nothing usually sounds appealing while in pain. I have noticed my cramps are less severe after maintaining a vegetarian diet and exercising more regularly. I am not telling you to go vegetarian, but maybe cutting down on the meats and dairies during that time. Less hormones. That's my experience anyway. Hope that was some help!
  • DrHeadBang
    DrHeadBang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It took me a minute to figure out what TOM meant, lol.

I've got Mirena and haven't had a real period since about 3 months after installation. However, about every other month I get *****y, have cramps for a day or two and want to eat a whole pizza. I just take tylenol and go with it. Cravings get indulged within reason but since I end up hanging onto water weight the scale shows I gain a few pounds that week no matter what. The week following I always lose, like, 3 pounds, to make up for it.

I should mention that when I was on Depo after high school (13? years ago) I had terrible cystic acne and developed a mustache. Not a good combo. It may have contributed to my BF dumping me, which led me to not needing BC, LOL.
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I'm not sure if I can totally relate this craving to the TOM since I seem to crave it all the time - but Salt... chips/veggie straws, salsa.. that's the worse for me and then I feel like with it being TOM and all the salt, I bloat like a puffer fish!!!!

Hahaha! You sound like my fiance. He literally dumps a little salt in his hand and just throws it into his mouth. He'll die at the age of 30, I swear to god.
  • LaurenOliver
    Options
    Exercise helps with cramps. I know, it sounds crazy, and I usually end up skipping my workouts on the first couple days anyway but on the rare times I don't, I never regret it. Getting started is hard, but afterwards you feel great. Swimming is the best possible exercise all around, but especially for this time, because it's low-stress and the warm water will also help with the cramps.

I also tend to indulge my cravings, but try to stay in the ballpark of my calorie goal for the day. My TOM may justify a couple chocolate bars, but it doesn't justify going over by 500 cals or more! It just makes the bloating and crankiness worse anyway, because then I'm upset at myself for overeating.

I haven't had much luck with running during tom. I'm taking your advice and going to try swimming.
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    Normally I can not work out during the first 2-3 days. It's just too painful and there is too much going on downtown. I eat pieces of chocolate more often during that week, but I don't know if that is actual craving or just habit. If anything I eat much less because the food sets the cramps into motion and nothing usually sounds appealing while in pain. I have noticed my cramps are less severe after maintaining a vegetarian diet and exercising more regularly. I am not telling you to go vegetarian, but maybe cutting down on the meats and dairies during that time. Less hormones. That's my experience anyway. Hope that was some help!

Yes, thank you! I appreciate the advice. I actually have IBS and my doctor recommended that I stop all gluten and dairy intake... But I honestly am having the hardest time. I love cereal and milk for breakfast and I have a greek yogurt every single day with lunch... It keeps me so full so I'm not starving at 3:00! I have to ween myself off eventually, I believe... I do love meat though, I am more into chicken than red meat, mostly because it's cheaper.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've never had any mensturation-related cravings that I know of.

I didn't have cravings when I was pregnant, either.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

I actually did that back in December. I've been on depo for years now, almost 4 I believe, and it actually lessens your bone density and greatly increases your risk for osteoperosis and bone breaks even earlier in life... So I decided to try and get off of it. Got an IUD put in, and my body rejected it and I was in the emergency room with an almost perforated uterus. Needless to say, I got back on the depo quickly and my body was less than impressed with my stupidity. Now I am actually off of it for good. Starting pills tonight.

ah didmt know. im vegan tho so it shouldnt really affect me
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some women have monthlies with no issues what-so-ever and are able to do go on living their normal lives. Some have horrid cramps, mood swings, migraines, etc and can't imagine trying to set foot in the gym for at least the first few days of their cycle.

Since you've been on DP so long, it's going to be hard to tell. It may not even be something you'll know in the first month but may take a few months of being on the pill to know for sure how your cycle will be. FYI, exercise can actually help with cramping and mood swings if they're not too severe.

Personally, I've never had any major issues since my pre-teens. I've been on a few different BC pills in the last 15 years and have only had emotional side effects, nothing physical. As far as cravings go, I give myself a little wiggle room during PMS and if there's something I'm craving, I give it some serious thought and it I can let it go, I have that one thing. That said, I do try to find a healthy alternative if possible. Say I'm craving something salty and crunchy. Well, in that case, I'll have a 100 calorie bag of microwave light butter popcorn. If I want something sweet, usually a few squares of good dark chocoalte (I love Ghiradelli 86% cacoa) will do the trick. Or if I want ice cream, I'll go through McD's drive thru and get their soft serve cone (150 cal).

And if that treat puts me over a few hundred calories, I don't worry about it too much. It's much better to target your craving and go for it rather than have the munchies all day and eat a bunch of crap you didn't really want in the first place.

Good luck!
  • charlesnapolitano
    charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    who is TOM and why does he get a topic here :tongue:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

So, truthfully, I have been on the depo provera birth control shot for many years now and haven't had a TOM in god knows how long. I don't honestly even remember what TOM pains feel like.

My biggest question is what kind of cravings you guys get during your TOM. Are you able to manage them? Do you find that you're still able to exercise?

I am getting off Depo and going back on the pill and I am dreading what's to come.

Chips. Manageable. Yes.
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    who is TOM and why does he get a topic here :tongue:

;)
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Exercise, reduce salt/caffeine, and get your rest! That helps with many of those dreaded symptoms. And remember, it takes your body time to adjust to those sudden changes, so be patient and don't give up.
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some women have monthlies with no issues what-so-ever and are able to do go on living their normal lives. Some have horrid cramps, mood swings, migraines, etc and can't imagine trying to set foot in the gym for at least the first few days of their cycle.

Since you've been on DP so long, it's going to be hard to tell. It may not even be something you'll know in the first month but may take a few months of being on the pill to know for sure how your cycle will be. FYI, exercise can actually help with cramping and mood swings if they're not too severe.

Personally, I've never had any major issues since my pre-teens. I've been on a few different BC pills in the last 15 years and have only had emotional side effects, nothing physical. As far as cravings go, I give myself a little wiggle room during PMS and if there's something I'm craving, I give it some serious thought and it I can let it go, I have that one thing. That said, I do try to find a healthy alternative if possible. Say I'm craving something salty and crunchy. Well, in that case, I'll have a 100 calorie bag of microwave light butter popcorn. If I want something sweet, usually a few squares of good dark chocoalte (I love Ghiradelli 86% cacoa) will do the trick. Or if I want ice cream, I'll go through McD's drive thru and get their soft serve cone (150 cal).

And if that treat puts me over a few hundred calories, I don't worry about it too much. It's much better to target your craving and go for it rather than have the munchies all day and eat a bunch of crap you didn't really want in the first place.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice! It helps to have those alternatives to try in place of something less healthy. I appreciate it!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    yes to both. sometimes the cravings take over me, and i make cookies and eat most of them, other months they're not too bad and i can get by with some fun size snacks.