What's the biggest thing you've done to improve your diet?

Options

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Stopped eating mindlessly at work from boredom. Still working on evening but it is getting better. When I was on Weight Watchers I would take containers of fruit and vegetables and just eat constantly.
  • livelaughlovecrazy
    livelaughlovecrazy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Cutting back the carbs, buying/eating more veggies and protein. :flowerforyou:

Checking the labels on what I buy at the grocery store, can't eat the bad stuff if I don't have it. :wink:

Oh! Also learning the healthiest options to order if I'm dining out in a hurry and can't bring something from home. This way even if I end up going to the fast food restaurant I choose the healthiest options and keep my portions small. :smile:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Stopped eating mindlessly at work from boredom. Still working on evening but it is getting better. When I was on Weight Watchers I would take containers of fruit and vegetables and just eat constantly.

This! I think this helped me a lot too, recognizing when I was bored and NOT eat because of it.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Planning my meals in advance (1-2 weeks)
    Limiting junk to once a week, during grocery shopping. (bag of crisps/chips and/or chocolate)
    It helps that my new workplace has no vending machines, and shops are not walking distance. It's too much effort to drive 10 minutes just to buy snacks.
  • Runningnorth
    Runningnorth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Shop the outside wall of the grocery store. Rarely go in the middle isle, only the odd time for pasta and rice. There are many isles that I never go down. The fresh healthy stuff is on the outside walls. Stick to them and you will stick to good healthy eating :) Produce, Dairy, Meats, all the fresh stuff is generally not in the middle isle.
  • livelaughlovecrazy
    livelaughlovecrazy Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I still have trouble battling the mindless eating at work...especially with a sedentary job it's waaay to easy to snack when we have slow days. :grumble:

Keeping busy really helps prevent the munchie urges.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    it is not a simple one answer for me but the biggest was cutting gluten, replacing it only with lean protiens, no processed, essentially clean eating. I rarely eat junk, other than my morning coffee and my post workout smoothie I do not drink my calories.

The most essential for me after removing gluten was portion control!
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda, chocolate and chips pretty much my "menu" pre-MFP lol :laugh:
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've stopped baking. I love baking, it's a stress reliever. But I'm the one who can't stop at one cookie or one piece of cake. So I haven't baked anything. :(
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I started cooking. Not 'throw something into the microwave' kind but the actual 'I need pans and more than 5 ingredients' kind.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Besides logging -

I totally cut pasta, white rice, white bread, cocktails and sugar drinks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I started doing this years ago and never really gave it much thought or credit as it seemed somewhat obvious to me. Basically I don't buy any junk food from the grocery store. This way I don't have it around when I'm feeling snacky. "Junk" is up for debate of course but basically I don't buy anything that can be easily consumed on it's own that has a poor protein/fat/carb ratio. There's a least one point every evening that I get a snack craving and if I had junk around I'd probably eat it! Thankfully I'm far too lazy to go to the store to satisfy my craving so I end up making something simple and healthy instead.

What's your best tip?

The same as you and for the same reason. I'm too lazy to go get it if it's not there.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    No fast food, ever, no way, no how.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Setting a goal of a MINIMUM of 5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day, with an ideal target of 9 - 10 has really made me rethink both meal planning and snacks.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    No more grabbing random high-calorie snacks everywhere I went, Starbucks, drug store, gas station, grocery store - I was always getting something to mindlessly munch on in the car. Not coincidentally, I don't go to those places near as much as I used to. I guess subconsciously it was the snacks that I was really after.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Switched to crockpot oatmeal for breakfast instead of high protein processed cereal, stick to salads at lunch, make sure half my dinner plate is veggies and cut out my beloved mint chocolate chip frozen yogurt and replaced it with fat free Greek yogurt and honey or berries.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring my food. I have to relearn proper portion sizes.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    #1 thing is to eat less :wink:

After that, I'd say the big reduction in caffeine. I like my caffeine sweet and I'd rather go without than drink coffee black. So the only way to make the calorie-reduction work was to cut my intake by about 75%. Best thing ever - besides getting to eat more, I sleep much better, no more heart palpitations, and fewer muscle twitches.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I completely quit drinking pop and slurpees! Once in a great blue moon I'll have a little diet ginger ale but thats it and I use to drink regular mountain dew and pepsi daily for years!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Going vegan.

I didn't do it for health reasons, but it gave me a huge kick in the *kitten* and forced me to confront my relationship with food and with my own body.