Insanity: A smaller version of my flabby self?

Options
I've been reading about how much people praise lifting heavy and laude it as the ONLY way to have a great bod. I'm 1 week away from completing Insanity, and still have more weight to loose, so I'm really weighing out what to do next.

I like Insanity for a couple reasons - the main one being that I can do it at home not in the gym (I have 4 kids under 5, so breaking free from home is difficult if not impossible - not to mention expensive! on a consistant basis), but I'm feeling very insecure that once I hit my goal weight I"m still going to be a flabby gross mess just taking up less space in the universe!

Does anyone have any input on this? Can I get a nice body just doing Insanity (which is mostly cardio) or MUST I get some weight lifting (beyond the body strength stuff already in Insanity). I have no ambition to have a 6 pack, or compete in fitness competitions, I just want to look good...what should I do?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm still jiggly. I was still jiggly at 117, now after crappy Christmas eating and not being in a good mental place with my eating, I'm jiggly at 127. I have body image issues. I like the way I look in clothes, for the most part, but not naked. I started lifting heavy last year, and, unfortunately, I am not one who's had amazing results, but I did notice I put on a tiny bit of muscle while I was not eating at a deficit at the holidays. My eating varies lately. I know I need to really get my diet in check. I lift heavy at home, I have a bench, bar, plates & a rack. If you can't do that, I'd suggest looking into getting some adjustable dumbbells or some heavy resistance bands. You'll feel amazing.

I did not do Insanity, I was doing cardio and some lower weights, higher reps stuff. I lifted for awhile, took a break and did the BeFit in 90 Challenge, and when I was done with that I started lifting heavy again, and there was Halloween, then November & December, and my holiday treat fuled "bulk" began.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it but add in some other stuff, take the kiddos to the park! Do some chin ups on the monkey bars, tricep dips on the end of the slide (not while kids are coming down haha!) and most of all walk with them, play with them and enjoy your time with those babies!!
  • kay8577
    kay8577 Posts: 7
    Options
    I believe you need to keep your body guessing. Like one day do cardio another day do strength. I do Cardio for a week and the Strength for another week and the the 3rd week I do Cardio and Strength for that whole week. and I try to do it 2 a day for 30 minuets. I know I am still flabby at 138 lbs. And I do not enjoy it. Still can't wear the clothes I use to. Bummer!!! LOL!!!
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hey! You are using your body for strength training, so you are getting a full body workout! If you want to, you lift some weights during the week at home! But Insanity builds strength and is cardio. Remember nutrition plays a big part in all of this too! :) Add me as a friend if you want to talk more! :)
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it but add in some other stuff, take the kiddos to the park! Do some chin ups on the monkey bars, tricep dips on the end of the slide (not while kids are coming down haha!) and most of all walk with them, play with them and enjoy your time with those babies!!

I love this suggestion! I'm sure all the other moms would think I'm nuts - but ...maybe I am! :)