Help! No $ to buy new clothes!

Options
Lately my work clothes have been getting too big for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not complaining about that. It is to the point, though, where the clothes are starting to look kinda silly on me. The bad part is that right now I have no $ to go out and buy smaller sizes. Besides that, I don't know how much I want to invest in clothes when I'm still so far from my goal. Also, I suck at sewing. Any ideas?

Replies

• strippedandvital
    strippedandvital Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores & eBay.
  • AmandaMarie916
    AmandaMarie916 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Do you know anyone that can take them in? like a seamstress?
  • iBreatheMusic88
    Options
    You may have to... Seeing as Im in the same boat I totally get it. I literally had someone say to me at work that it looked like I was wearing a potatoe sack for dress pants... I mean I knew they were more loose on me but I had no idea I looked that terrible. lol Its a good thing but aproblem at the same time. Talk about your Catch 22 lol
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Thrift shops, second hand shops, whatever you want to call them. Often brand-name products still with the tags attached at a fraction of the retail price. $2-5 instead of $50..

the stuff is often lightly used and can be a great 'bridge" between your baggy clothes and ultimate wardrobe revival when you get to your goal.
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of thrift stores. Do you have any sisters or close friends that you can trade clothes with? Whatever you do, congrats on your progress so far!
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    Thrift stores, goodwill, ebay, friends. You can get smaller clothes for very little if you don't need to have the latest and greatest :-) Since you would be buying interim clothes, it may do the trick for you.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Goodwill and thrift shops are best for that sort of thing.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    For expensive stuff, like the suits I need to wear to work I took my old things to a tailor to have them taken in. Luckily I kept some of my old skinny clothes that I was fond of, so am wearing some stuff I bought 5-7 years ago.
  • sriley721
    sriley721 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    most dry cleaners have a tailor on site. I pay about $12 to have pants taken in. I need a clothing exchange where we list our current size and zipcode!
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    meh
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What size do you need? Theres a ton of people on MFP that would probably love to pass on their too big clothes.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Learn to sew! I have taken in many shirts that got too big. Shirts that I still like, but were just overly big. Thrift stores is another great option. You can find some great items for cheap! Go pop you some TAGS!
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    most dry cleaners have a tailor on site. I pay about $12 to have pants taken in.

should be able to get a new pair of pants at tjmaxx or marshalls for that.
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Is there a Freecycle group in your city??

http://www.freecycle.org/

It's like craigslist or Kijiji, except everything is FREE.

So you could sign up, and post a wanted ad that you are looking for clothes in whatever size. And then you can also give away your too-big clothes on the site. That's what I did with the bags of clothes that didn't fit anymore.
  • iBreatheMusic88
    Options
    You may have to... Seeing as Im in the same boat I totally get it. I literally had someone say to me at work that it looked like I was wearing a potatoe sack for dress pants... I mean I knew they were more loose on me but I had no idea I looked that terrible. lol Its a good thing but aproblem at the same time. Talk about your Catch 22 lol
  • Kandace_Riopel
    Kandace_Riopel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i gave all my bigger clothes to my step daughter ( who is getting to small for them YAY!) and replaced them with second hand thrift store clothes or clothes from my friends that are either my size or a bit smaller than me and have clothes that are too big!
  • cathibme
    cathibme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Take your old clothes (that are toooooo big for you now-WHOO HOO!!!)- and have a yard sale. Use all that money and go buy some new ones. Have fun! I would go to the thrift store- especially if you still want to lose more. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Go all Macklemore on it.

(ya, thrift shop)
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    Maybe try posting an ad on your local Craigslist page seeing if anyone would be willing to donate clothes to you. Of course practice caution when meeting up with people.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are great. Do you have a Ross or TJ Max in your area. They are very reasonable and you could try to just buy 1 or two outfits per payday.