giving up soda/pop

Options
2»

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I gave it up, even though I only drank diet, but it's not about the weight loss. I feel less gassy all the time, I get fewer headaches (the additives they use in place of sugar can cause headaches for some) and not having caffeine has done wonders for my dark circles.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    so youve been off soda for 2 weeks? thats great, but you need a lot longer than 2 weeks to see results...i mean you were drinking soda for years!

I agree with giving it a bit more time before you notice changes (because changes are surely happening, just none you can feel) but how long you were drinking it prior has no effect on how long it takes to get out of your system :)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i am going by what others have said (not on here but in yanno, the real world) that once they gave it up they lost lbs in a week.

im not so much concerned about a number as i know i am healthier for it. some people are saying they drank a lot (consuming 2 cans daily). not even a slight boast but i would drink a 64oz on my way in work get one at lunch and down probably 2 or 3 cans from the vending machine.

then at night i would drink another 120+ oz

the only bad thing i had once i quit was a headache the second day but i let that pass and so far so good
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of regular coke and if I didn't have one I would get headaches. So, no weight loss, but my headaches are gone! Which I still consider a success!
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    i am going by what others have said (not on here but in yanno, the real world) that once they gave it up they lost lbs in a week.

So since you're not experiencing weight loss, is it because you found something else to compensate? I found when I dropped coke I wanted to eat more sugary foods which would be counter-intuitive to why I dropped the coke in the first place.
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I routinely drink about 2 2liters a day (diet mtn. dew, diet A&W, or diet cherry pepsi) I've found very few legit reasons to quit, if any, most are either negligable or circumstantial.

Example: People that drink diet soda tend to get fatter, ... well, diet soda is generally for people with weight problems, diet soda doesn't fix their eating habits so of COURSE they get bigger.. duh.. People that drink diet soda getting fatter has as much to do with their drinking diet soda as it does with them watching magic weight loss pill informercials. skinny people don't watch those, does that mean the commercials are secretly making people fatter???

That being said... yes I'm quitting too.. DOH! grrrr... my last guilty pleasure :(
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Why would quitting diet soda make you lose weight?

The only thing I've heard is it can trigger people to eat more, but if you're already watching and tracking what you eat, I don't understand why it would make a difference.

Diet soda is my guilty pleasure. Would love to kick the habit d/t all the chemicals, but I hattteee plain water. (hate!)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Options

So since you're not experiencing weight loss, is it because you found something else to compensate? I found when I dropped coke I wanted to eat more sugary foods which would be counter-intuitive to why I dropped the coke in the first place.

yea, i have been drinking a lot water now :)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Options
    Why would quitting diet soda make you lose weight?

The only thing I've heard is it can trigger people to eat more, but if you're already watching and tracking what you eat, I don't understand why it would make a difference.

Diet soda is my guilty pleasure. Would love to kick the habit d/t all the chemicals, but I hattteee plain water. (hate!)

im not a fan of water either, but i have found these little drink packs at walmart that i add. maybe like 10 cals but make it much more drinkable