turkey bacon suggestions needed..

Options
2»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Never tried turkey bacon but love turkey salami microwaved to a crisp, which is what I imagine it tastes like.

If you are not crazy about it, it might still make a nice addition in recipes where bacon is not the dominating ingredient. Coq au vin, bread stuffing, bacon and lentil soup, bacon and pea soup, salade aux lardons come to mind. If this weren't a dieting site, I would also suggest quiche lorraine and spaghetti carbonara.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    I microwave mine until crisps, then put it in a bagel with lite cream cheese. Awesome!!! of course, my son calls it fakon, as in fake bacon. He's a butt teenager, what does he know. :ohwell:

lol we call it fakon, too!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Make more grown up blt's with it, and add (lite) mayo (if you don't already), and avocado.

But my favorite thing is to make TBLT salads and make them for work. I take two slices of bread, chop them up, and toast them in the toaster oven for my croutons as a variation of the sandwich.

If all else fails.... send to me :)
  • kariannmbc
    kariannmbc Posts: 144
    Options
    I don't like turkey bacon alone, but if I cut it up and scramble it in eggs I can hardly tell the difference. It also works on salads.
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I like to crisp the turkey bacon in the microwave and have it as such. Yum! Or I fry a couple of eggs and throw in some cheese on top in order to melt it. The eggs and the turkey bacon then go between two slices of toasted bread. Yummo!
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    BLT on whole wheat!
  • Smash323
    Smash323 Posts: 16
    Options
    OT: I eat turkey bacon because I don't eat red meat.

OP: Try using it in egg white quiche or quinoa cups. I like adding turkey bacon for the saltiness!
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    What everyone else said.

Unless there's a specific reason (don't eat pork, actually like the taste, etc), there really isn't a health reason to ever eat turkey bacon instead of real bacon. Depending on brands, sodium and fat amounts are comparable. It comes down to eating a real food in moderation versus eating processed food in moderation. You still can't splurge and eat all the turkey bacon, so I stick with piggy goodness every time.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Gee, I don't know.....eat it like bacon.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also use it when making savory soups, as it gives off a smokey kind of flavor! I recently baked the turkey bacon while also baking egg cups. They turned out really well, and the whole house didn't smell like it does when I nuke it in the microwave.