Anyone 40+ not slowing down?

I'm a little discouraged by some of the things that people say about gaining weight and getting older. I can understand being careful about injuries and listening to your body, but that doesn't mean not doing things that are fun, I hope. Menopause doesn't mean you have to gain weight, I hope. Aging doesn't mean that you're going to be tired all the time, I hope.

I've been athletic all of my life, and I still think I'm going to get better at some things, like become more flexible and be a better dancer, because I'm more diligent than I've ever been. I had an undiagnosed thyroid problem in my 20s and already wasted a decade of life being tired all the time. The only thing I've noticed about being over 40 is that I'm more willing to slow down to enjoy something, like a beautiful hike, than I was when I was younger.

Replies

• HappyBayou
    HappyBayou Posts: 28 Member
    I have to agree with that last line-- I appreciate "little" delights more now than I ever did when I was younger. So far I love my 40s. Yeah yeah, the body is changing and the mirror has quite the sense of humor sometimes, but it doesn't bother me like I thought I would. Physical changes have not slowed me down although I've had to switch up a few things. (Knock on wood. I'm grateful for good health.)

I wonder about the next ten years, and the next. I've often heard women in their fifties and sixties say it gets even better. I guess I'll find out!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    I am 44, and I have gone the other way and sped up. I am the fittest I have ever been, having spent most of my adult life overweight with occasional spells of exercise. My only regret is that I didn't do this earlier.

I think that some people use the "slow down as I am getting older" thing as an excuse. I have come across plenty of people on MFP who are a lot older than me and have been very successful in losing weight.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Why on earth would anyone want to slow down at 40?

Leave that for when you're pushing 80. And even then, it's optional.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Why on earth would anyone want to slow down at 40?

Leave that for when you're pushing 80. And even then, it's optional.

I know some people who are pushing 80, who might be slower, but they definitely haven't stopped doing the things they love.
  • I can't say I've slown down any but my body doesn't work the same that's for darn sure. I've been an athlete my entire life. College basketball and track in my 20's--competition mountain bike racer, mountain climber, running in my 30's and a professional hunting guide in my late 30's 40's. I have just always been really active. When I was 46 I had my body fat tested it for a study I participated in, it was just over 8%. Last November I had my body fat tested for work (not nearly as accurate, so take it in this context) and I was at 29% what changed? Nothing, I have eaten the same, worked out the same, hormone's hormone's hormones.

I have typically put on a few pounds each winter. This past winter I had the opportunity to work in Southern California and I decided I would get into shape. I have WORKED MY BUTT OFF and my body still holds onto its fat like popcorn holds onto butter. Five, even two years ago if I worked out as hard as I am now I would be able to model in a fitness magazine (well you know under the senior sections).

It is frustrating. I'm still regular with my monthly business but gravity has not been kind to the girls and speaking of the girls they've gotten smaller even though my stomach hasn't.

Anyway, not to scare anyone off, it is very important to stay active no matter what your age, but respect your body today, it will change and it really gets harder.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    If you continue to stretch, you'll continue to be limber.
    I am still pretty limber, and I'm in martial arts with my 9 year old and my teenagers. I can hold my own fairly well, if I may say so myself. :drinker:
  • lithezebra
    When I was 46 I had my body fat tested it for a study I participated in, it was just over 8%. Last November I had my body fat tested for work (not nearly as accurate, so take it in this context) and I was at 29% what changed? Nothing, I have eaten the same, worked out the same, hormone's hormone's hormones.

I'd bet that the second measurement was high. I would be worried about having a body fat percentage as low as 8%. If you've gotten up to the high teens or into the 20s, it might be better for your health. (There was a recent study where people whose BF% was between 24 and 30 actually seemed to be healthier than people between 20 and 24 - not the final word, but a very provocative finding). You look great in your pictures.
  • lithezebra
    If you continue to stretch, you'll continue to be limber.
    I am still pretty limber, and I'm in martial arts with my 9 year old and my teenagers. I can hold my own fairly well, if I may say so myself.

Good for you! I'm naturally only moderately limber, and I'm working every bit of flexibility that I'm got.
  • spruitt417
    spruitt417 Posts: 101 Member
    In 1 1/2 weeks I'm gonna be 57 & slowing down isn't a part of my plans. I was divorced a year ago & I feel like my life is just beginning. Hell, I've got a 20 something guy panting after me & a 50 something guy hitting on me AND I'm nowhere near the weight I wanna be. As the saying goes, "I'll sleep when I'm dead!" Until then I'm, just gonna enjoy what life gives me one day at a time.
  • I am 46 and feeling fitter, and happier than i did at 26. I have just gotten started!!!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    The picture in my avatar was taken last year when I was 59. I took up sprint triathlons at 55, and have dropped almost 20 lbs. over the last 2 years by a combination of smarter eating and a little more exercise. I still run errands on a bicycle. Do NOT use age as an excuse to slow down!