Running with your dog

Options

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Tigresspat, I am done with this conversation. You clearly were not well trained in basic human etiquette and conversation, so I am choosing to hit the lovely ignore user option. Have a nice day :flowerforyou:

If anyone needs me, I'll be out walking the 7lbs of untrained, rabid beast that is my chihuahua.:bigsmile:
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get my dog to run....she does NOT want to learn anything new and if she isn't pulling, she's sniffing. I try to keep her on one side (usually my left) but she keeps running all around me or right in front of me and then I step on her and she cries out and oh man it is a pain. I'm too busy focusing on her so I cant' focus on myself and since I have issues running as it is, it makes it doubly hard.

I hope it works out for you though! Good luck :)
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    In Singapore last year I saw strollers for dogs in a pet store. If they're selling them, I guess there's a market for them....maybe for when they get too big for the handbag
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get my dog to run....she does NOT want to learn anything new and if she isn't pulling, she's sniffing. I try to keep her on one side (usually my left) but she keeps running all around me or right in front of me and then I step on her and she cries out and oh man it is a pain. I'm too busy focusing on her so I cant' focus on myself and since I have issues running as it is, it makes it doubly hard.

I hope it works out for you though! Good luck :)

hey have you done any doggy school? what about learning something with your dog like agility, rally, fly gility etc? so much fun !
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to start running with my dog this spring. Does any one have any tips or tricks to make it easier?

I'm a little worried she might get too distracted.

bf72102e-d7e8-4ba2-8201-2c8944fd5e10_zpsa7a5ac7d.jpg

Everyone (for the most part) has offered great tips. I just want to say that your puppy is super cute. I want to kiss her little face all over!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to start running with my dog this spring. Does any one have any tips or tricks to make it easier?

I'm a little worried she might get too distracted.

bf72102e-d7e8-4ba2-8201-2c8944fd5e10_zpsa7a5ac7d.jpg
    water-keep a check to be sure shes not too hot-and good leash manners :)
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    This is my little boobers by the way, her name is Kimber. Everyone else has their dogs as their profile pic, wanted to show mine off too! lol She's a Chorkie, half chihuahua, half Yorkie. I just wanted her 'cause she's cute! <3 This breed is also very good with people in general, she's a bit hesitant with strangers but she warms up after a while and then she's your best friend. Her fur is supposedly "hypo-allergenic" and she doesn't shed practically at all. We have to brush her a lot to maintain a healthy coat and get out knots, though. This breed is known for getting along well with other animals OF THEIR OWN SIZE, but watch out because they are known to challenge larger breeds. Once dominance is established by the larger breed, they usually become fast friends :) (She is BFFs with a Dalmatian/Pointer mix!) Just a small description for anyone looking for a good family doggie :) *Be careful around small children. Kimber is very very protective with a little one that comes over on the weekends, to the point she barks at ME if I so much as pick him up. For the most part, we have broken her of it, but be careful if you have little kiddos that you break them of that habit! :)

074fe63d-18eb-4497-908b-7592d369089a_zps435ecb0c.jpg

P.S. her leg is shaved because she had recently had surgery.
  • mrjasper25
    Options
    Be careful not to trip on your dog!! Mine tends to zig zag a bit when he is distracted. Definitely start off slowly to build comfort level
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Be careful in hot weather. I work veterinary ER and I can't tell you how many dogs I've seen who've sufffered and died needlessly from heat stroke. Also, beware of hot pavements. It can cause 3rd degree burns on their paws.

That being said, I envy you. I wish I could run with my dog, he'd just love it. But he has a neurological disorder and has no sense of balance and walks like he's drunk and falls over.
  • jwm5411
    jwm5411 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a Golden Retriever and she loves to run with me. When we are on streets or anywhere she might get into trouble, she goes on a leash. We do a lot of trail running away from roads and she goes off leash. She has been through obedience training and has the "come when called" command down pat. She won't run off and comes right back if I call.

On a trail as we get started she circles me for about a mile if the cover allows. Once she gets her energy out, she will run ahead and wait for me. We have a blast together on the trails.

Once when I got lost on a long run, she found our way back. I put her on a lead and told her we needed to go back...she went exactly back the way we came with me following.

My only advice is to take the time to make sure your dog is in shape. Carry extra water for them if it will be a long run. You can get a water bottle carry strap for them in most running stores. Also I don't let her run with me when it is over 75 degrees F. She has a summer trim all year but still has a heavy coat. Dogs cannot cool themselves off with sweat like we can and will overheat.

My golden's name is Cookie and we love getting out on a trail together.

John
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    keep her leashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jmyotter
    jmyotter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Basically if you're dog is trained to obey commands, it should be within reason to train it to run well with you. Also the faster pace "should" help keep your dog from getting as distracted. At least it does with my younger boxer.

I will just encourage you to look up dog training books or do a google search for tips on how to keep your dog from getting distracted, etc while walking/ running.

I am NOT an expert, but have spent a lot of time training my two boxers (I enjoy it).... generally they come around and learn fast, and my number one advice from personal experience is "A tired dog is a good dog" so the more consistently you exercise your dog and tire them out, the less likely they will be to become distracted. Also each breed of dog is bred for different purposes, they are in their own personal "zone" when they are doing what they are naturally inclined to do as a breed. Herding dogs are happiest when herding, guard dogs when guarding/ protecting, terriers when digging and chasing small rodents, etc...

All dogs have the capacity to learn just about anything at just about any age.... I have a friend who has trained one of the Michael Vick pit bulls that was rescued and it is now a canine good citizen, frisbee disc dog champion, and most people didn't give the dog a chance at even being able to be a pet again.

Short line....if you work with your dog at first in helping it to know what it means to run with you, it will act as you want it to. It may be "painful/frustrating " at first getting your dog to do what you want.... You may not get the good run workout in at first, but when it comes to dogs, persistence and hard work pay off. Walks with my dogs as puppies weren't always very fun, but we were persistent in the heeling training and they both heel very well to the point my 4 year old can walk them and they walk pretty well with even him.

Always keep training fun and when teaching them something "new" to them, keep the new training sessions short at first and lengthen the sessions as the dog picks up more difficult things. This keeps both you and the dog from getting too frustrated.

Okay, I will get off my soap box now :) and I will add my "hold harmless clause" here: This is from my training experiences with my dogs, I am in no way what you would call an "expert", and you should find what works for you and your dog :)

There, hopefully that helps the OP, and doesn't get too many peoples undies in a bunch :) haha
  • IAmSoNotFit
    IAmSoNotFit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a basset hound. She doesn't run, unless she is in danger and even then it has to be serious danger.

My hound mix is the same way! I keep trying with her, but she has no interest at all.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog. I find that running really helps with leash training because she follows me, and I come first when I run:)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Basically if you're dog is trained to obey commands, it should be within reason to train it to run well with you. Also the faster pace "should" help keep your dog from getting as distracted. At least it does with my younger boxer.

I will just encourage you to look up dog training books or do a google search for tips on how to keep your dog from getting distracted, etc while walking/ running.

I am NOT an expert, but have spent a lot of time training my two boxers (I enjoy it).... generally they come around and learn fast, and my number one advice from personal experience is "A tired dog is a good dog" so the more consistently you exercise your dog and tire them out, the less likely they will be to become distracted. Also each breed of dog is bred for different purposes, they are in their own personal "zone" when they are doing what they are naturally inclined to do as a breed. Herding dogs are happiest when herding, guard dogs when guarding/ protecting, terriers when digging and chasing small rodents, etc...

All dogs have the capacity to learn just about anything at just about any age.... I have a friend who has trained one of the Michael Vick pit bulls that was rescued and it is now a canine good citizen, frisbee disc dog champion, and most people didn't give the dog a chance at even being able to be a pet again.

Short line....if you work with your dog at first in helping it to know what it means to run with you, it will act as you want it to. It may be "painful/frustrating " at first getting your dog to do what you want.... You may not get the good run workout in at first, but when it comes to dogs, persistence and hard work pay off. Walks with my dogs as puppies weren't always very fun, but we were persistent in the heeling training and they both heel very well to the point my 4 year old can walk them and they walk pretty well with even him.

Always keep training fun and when teaching them something "new" to them, keep the new training sessions short at first and lengthen the sessions as the dog picks up more difficult things. This keeps both you and the dog from getting too frustrated.

Okay, I will get off my soap box now :) and I will add my "hold harmless clause" here: This is from my training experiences with my dogs, I am in no way what you would call an "expert", and you should find what works for you and your dog :)

There, hopefully that helps the OP, and doesn't get too many peoples undies in a bunch :) haha

Thats a really good point. I wouldn't expect the first few runs to be great workouts. Even if you take the dog for a training run, take it home, then get your workout in until you get to the point where you can do your workout with your dog.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Running with the pooch is awesome! Just be careful to not be bumped by them; last summer mine just lightly bumped into me and it through me off so badly I ended up falling and hyper extending my knee.

I'm sure others have probably said this, but start training now with your dog and work up to jogs and personally, a shorter leash works better for me. There's less material you need to hang onto and you have more control over the dog. We really like the ruffwear leashes.
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    dixiewhiskey, I am from New Zealand, so yep we get our fair share of idiots !

yes the Leave It command is very handy, esp when seeing dropped food on the road and having piglet doggies who really want it !

My rottie isn't too keen on running but she is lazy anyway. My 2 boys, staffy cross and American staffy love it. I love the looks on their faces when we run !

OP : how is your dog walking normally, does he / she walk loose leash at your side?

I always pick up the poops, I always put more than necessary in my pockets just in case

She's pretty good on leash when we get walking at a good pace but if she knows were just out for her to go pee she can be a pain. She tries to bring me to the dog park and gets distracted by ANY people/dogs around her.

She will definitely be on a leash. I was considering getting one of those leashes that attaches to my waist to avoid having to hold the leash. I've read that holding the leash can mess up your running stride but I guess I will have to try it out.

Thanks to everyone for the tips on watching her feet and her overheating. I think I will need to ease her into running with me because she needs to a lose a little bit of weight and tires fairly quickly at the dog park.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I have two Labrador retreivers, one that is just over 10 yrs old, and a 10 month old pup. My dogs get trained as hunting retreivers and to compete in hunt tests.

I've started running with my 10 month old pup recently. To me, running with a dog is simply an opportunity to practice the two sided "heel" command. I keep Bo on the side of my body that is away from traffic or oncoming people. I plan my route so that we start out doing some left sided heeling , then switch over to right sided heeling for the remainder of the run. So far, so good. We've had no collisions (so far) , and no leash tangles that look like a calf roping event gone bad. :)

As far as gear, my dog is always on a leash w/slip collar to allow for quick "No, Heel" corrections as needed, and a plastic bag for mobile poop patrol. As the weather warms, I'll be conscious of shade and water to be sure he doesn't over heat.

Running together has been great fun so far. Bo is a very high energy dog, so this kind of exercise is right up his alley
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I suggest you focus on the fact that dogs love routine:

1. Give your dog a few minutes to do her business first then begin your steady run..

2. Reward her "companion run" with extra time at the end to sniff, smell, play and do what dogs do...

(same "start and stop" route until running with you is at a steady pace and natural)

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Running with a dog is great. I would always have your dog on a harness not a neck collar as if something happens and the lead gets tangled in something you could cause serious damage to your dog's neck.

Also train your dog to understand when you are coming to a walk so you don't suddenly stop and the dog continues. I use we,'re running when I start and we.'re walking when I.m coming to a walk I then call her in 'close ´ when we're walking (you might be using heel) It is important fir your dog to be able to differentiate between your running times and a normal walk so you don.t have problems on a normal stroll. Remember dogs need to warm up also so a brisk walk is advised for a few minutes before you start running. Any run over 30 minutes remember your dog needs to keep hydrated dog's don't always know when to stop and are likely to run further than they are comfortable just to do what you want.

Once your dog is used to it it's great fun as well as good for yours and your dog's fitness. Oh just to add not all breeds are suitable to run with especially a lot of smaller dogs so it's worth speaking to your vet before you start.