Can I use a popcorn maker without oil?

Options
Hey, Y'all.
A friend of mine gave me a Stir Crazy popcorn maker. I used to use only an airpopper, and I noticed this one uses a non-stick hotplate. I don't like the taste of butter on my popcorn. I love it plain, light and fluffy. Is it possible to use this without adding any oil? Yay or nay? I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• Voxen
    Voxen Posts: 33
    Options
    anyone?
  • kimmym0324
    kimmym0324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have the popcorn maker that you put the little tray in and cook in the mircowave and i don't use oil just seasoning and it's super yummy!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Try it out.
  • spaz4me2
    spaz4me2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt to give it a shot...but as very long time stir crazy user, it is my opinion that omitting oil or butter will not yield great final product at all.

1 tbsp olive oil to 1/2-3/4 cup kernels make a yummy long lasting snack. I top with salt, Mrs. Dash table blend and flax seed meal...sometimes freshly grated Parmesan.

LOVE my Stir Crazy!
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    They make a no calorie spray butter i wonder if that would work? Just a thought.....
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I use mine without oil.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    use oil, just make sure it's healthy oil like coconut or butter or animal fat

fat is good for you. this is the most important thing to know in all of nutrition. ok maaaaaaaybe right behind all the BMR and TDEE stuff.

EDIT: you don't need to use as much oil as the instructions say you do, just a bit to keep it all from sticking.
  • Voxen
    Options
    I just don't like the taste of oil on my corn. will it damage the non stick plate in it if I don't use any oil?
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    We use a tiny bit of coconut oil.. And it doesn't get too oily. We've tried before without any oil and it didn't seem to work too well in my opinion. just like half a teaspoon of coconut oil should do the trick without adding too much flavor
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    you may could try just a quick spray on the plates with pam.. Don't use much, just enough that the kernels move around more easily.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the taste of oil on my corn. will it damage the non stick plate in it if I don't use any oil?

ah - fair enough. :)
  • Cmg2k
    Cmg2k Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Use unrefined coconut oil! Super yummy!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I find when I pop popcorn in a little bit of oil, it doesn't come out tasting "oily." Have you actually tried it with the oil, or are you just assuming you won't like it? It tastes very different than if you just pour oil over if after popping *just made myself gag a little.*

I guess you can try it, but what does the owner's manual say? I suppose there's a chance it might not work as well.
  • Voxen
    Options

ah - fair enough. :)

;) Glad you understand. I get my oils otherways. Gotta get them dar fats in for healthy hormones and whatnaught good stuff haha

To everyone else, some unflavored cooking spray might work? I just don't wanna damage the plate at all. Would just putting the kernels in without anything damage it at all? Just wondering.