Need help with cat problem!

Options
carryingon
carryingon Posts: 609 Member
Seriously-

I am taking suggestions on how to get a stray cat (who wandered in when someone left the door open) out from behind my computer monitor.

1. Approaching him makes him growl and hiss.
2.Throwing mittens towards him makes him growl and hiss.
3.Trying to gently scooch him with the broom makes him look at me like I'm stupid and then growl and hiss.
4.He won't move for food either.

HELP

Replies

• noluckducky15
    noluckducky15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Spray him with water in a water bottle.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Huggle and love him. He will come around, or scratch your eyes out

:)
    Seriously though the best way is to put on a heavy sweater, really good gloves and go for the kitty. Unless you want to spend what could be weeks earning his trust.

What do you plan to do with said kitty?
  • JessikaBlayne
    JessikaBlayne Posts: 1,457
    Options
    put like 40 sweaters on and make sure your hands are covered aswell.. use TONS of socks.. something that his claws will have a hard time penatraiting.. Then grab him, holding him at arms length and then gently toss him outside
  • carryingon
    Options
    Thanks. I don't want to kill computer!
  • JessikaBlayne
    JessikaBlayne Posts: 1,457
    Options
    or you could just call animal controll for their help
  • landrover7297
    Options
    Call animal control as it could have some type of infectious blood bore pathogen. Do not try it your self. Or try a squrit bottle of water if you don't have an animal control officer.
  • carryingon
    Options
    Huggle and love him. He will come around, or scratch your eyes out

:)
    Seriously though the best way is to put on a heavy sweater, really good gloves and go for the kitty. Unless you want to spend what could be weeks earning his trust.

What do you plan to do with said kitty?

He has been living outside for a long time. My dad started feeding this cat's mom. Then he came a long. I will just put him back out and hope he's learned his lesson. I don't have a litter box or anything for him.
  • carryingon
    Options
    Call animal control as it could have some type of infectious blood bore pathogen. Do not try it your self. Or try a squrit bottle of water if you don't have an animal control officer.

Stupid humane society in my area won't come get cats unless they're contained in a box.

I guess I will have to grab him.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    Perhaps calling animal control to get these cats fixed would be a good idea?
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would put a trail of food heading towards the door. Leave the door open and leave home alone.
  • dustycaravan
    dustycaravan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    probably a good idea to wear sweaters and mitts on your hands and a scarf fto protect your face. Don't approach it, let it come out by itself (could take 3-20hrsapprx) once it is out put something behind the desk so it cant hide again and open the door, and motion it away with broom protecting your body...
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I agree with calling animal control, but at the same time, knowing he'll just end up being put to sleep breaks my heart. But, he's probably just a scared little cuddly. If you plan to keep him, just leave him there for a while. Honest. Set food and water down somewhere he can see it and he will come out eventually. I grew up with 8 cats and like, 7 of them were stray at first -.- lol
  • carryingon
    Options

They won't come unless I can contain them in a box! I've tried!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...just leave him there for a while. Honest. Set food and water down somewhere he can see it and he will come out eventually. I grew up with 8 cats and like, 7 of them were stray at first -.- lol

true :drinker:
  • SerenaFisher
    Options

They won't come unless I can contain them in a box! I've tried!
    Try putting in the time to make friends then? Better to have a fixed friendly kitty then a wild cat who hisses and creates more wild cats.
  • Trickybird
    Trickybird Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I worked in vet clinics for 12 years and all I can say is socks and gloves won't do it. Wear industrial work or garden gloves. A cat scratch or bite can absolutely land you in the hospital. Good luck.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You can always Trap-Neuter-Release to help control the stray population. Many shelters will do it for free or very low cost ($20 or so). Then they mark the animal's ear to signify it's been neutered if someone else brings it in for a TNR.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    He obviously came inside for a reason - he wants a home and he has chosen you! :flowerforyou:
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Try maybe a long item like a broom to kinda get in its space where it can't claw you and push him/encorage it to move out of the space? Have the door open so he can run out its probably freaking out and staying there bc it feels threatened and doesn't see a way out and feels like it has to defend itself
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Can you get a box overtop of him? That could be considered contained in a box.