Hikers United!

Options
I am on a quest to hike my way to a smaller me. I know there are others out there and would just like a lil support and understanding. I am over 300lbs so this is no easy feat as you know. I have never let my weight get in the way of what I wanted to do so heres to hiking! Im going to do it every other day to every few days depending on physical and environmental factors.

Id like to make this into a different sort of format. I have seen this on another site and love the idea. We will hike our way to a different town/state with our accumulated miles at weeks end.... Lets see how far our hiking can truely take us and see where we can go.

Ill start today in Boston Massachusetts and see how far it goes.

poster_boston_massachusetts_at_night-rdd38600490b749b89f5621720f0b321d_w2u_400_zpsc88bbba2.jpg

Replies

• nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hiking is a great way to lose weight. There aren't many activities where you can burn so many calories in one session.

It's also great because it's not in a gym and doesn't require much equipment beyond some outdoor gear.

Once you get through the hiking season, depending on where you live, then you can move on to snowshoeing!
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I live in Montana. I have not snowshoed and until Im much smaller, probably not. lol. My arthritis screams at me as it is during the winter months. :) Still, I love what I am doing now and there are SO many mountains to hike/climb Im chomping at the bit to get back out there again!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Great Idea!! What about counting DVD Miles and / or Treadmill and Stationary Bike Miles?
  • tanniew78
    Options
    Sure! That works too!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm also in Montana and love (LOVE!) hiking! So many beautiful places to hike and so many places to explore. :smile:

Love to take part in your virtual hike. Just let me know what you need from me! Since I wear a Fitbit, it's easy for me to tally up my miles. :happy:
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: Excellent!! All we have to do is figure out Where we are going. Right now I am participating in a Virtual Hike in Southwest Australia, but I can meet you all wherever you want to, or should we each pick our Own destination?
  • tanniew78
    Options
    I was going to have us start on the east coast, but if we want to go somewhere outside the US by all means lets do. Id like to match mile for mile so if you do 15, I do 5 and Montana Girl does 10 then we can virtual hike 30 miles from the first city and so on and so forth. Lets see how far we can go!
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: That sounds Fabulous!! Just give me the Starting Date and the Location!! We will come here to post our Miles every day?
  • tanniew78
    Options
    Yes and Ive actually started with Boston. Is that ok or would we prefer another city?
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :smile: No, Boston is fine with me. Are we counting All Miles -- Bike, Treadmill, Walking, etc? I guess a better question would be, Are there some Exercise Miles you Don't want to count? Are we doing a Daily Total or Weekly Totals at the end of the week?
  • melisafilsinger
    Options
    hiking is the only exercise I do besides muscle strengthening, in 3 weeks I've lost 10 pounds while doing it... It really burns the calories up!!! I love hiking, my family and I do it EVERYDAY!!!! Good luck to you...
  • tanniew78
    Options
    As long as the miles are measurable in distance its fine. Bike, walking, hiking, running, treadmill or stationary bike.... If you can measure it in miles, it counts.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :smile: Yay!! That makes me Happy!!
  • tanniew78
    Options
    ok, its time to get this showboat on the road! Where should we go to from Boston? We need a city goal to work toward.

So far I have logged 2 miles. Not too many since I cant hike in such cold weather (wind mainly!). Ive been pool running and run that sucker so many laps. lol....
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    have you ever heard of geocaching? We go to the most crazy places almost every day looking for hidden treasure.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join too please.

Happy to start in Boston - how about we walk down to New York as I've never been there (I'm in Perth, Australia)

What's our starting date and do we just log our miles here each day? I also have a fitbit so can tell you what I've walked in the past couple of days if you've already started.
    Thanks
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome, Wahelga!! I am actually doing a Virtual Trek on another Web Site. We started in Perth and are "Walking" the Bibbulmun Trail (I hope I spelled that right!). Are you familiar with it? I am discovering that Australia is a BEAUTIFUL Country! Much more Colorful than I imagined.
    :happy: I don't think we have actually started this Hike yet? Starting in Boston is fine with me.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am sooooo with you! Add me. I love to hike and try to every other day, and every day when I have time. I lost 25lbs last year hiking. Well I didnt stick to it so here I am starting over.
  • tanniew78
    Options
    Welcome all newcomers! :flowerforyou:

We are officially started as of today. So yes log your miles daily. Its a long way from Boston to New York! lol. :D Ill post the milage until we get there and you subtract your miles until we get to 0 and there will be some picture motivation waiting us in the next city. :)

So it is... 216 miles to New York! Lets get moving ladies!
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome, Wahelga!! I am actually doing a Virtual Trek on another Web Site. We started in Perth and are "Walking" the Bibbulmun Trail (I hope I spelled that right!). Are you familiar with it? I am discovering that Australia is a BEAUTIFUL Country!

The Bibbulmun Track is wonderful and I was hiking on it last weekend. I've not done the full length but I have down a few sections. I'm currently in training to do the Great Ocean Walk in Victoria, Australia. Its a stunning walk.