What is the root of your weight issue?

Options

Replies

• dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    Not paying attention and not challenging myself hard enough on my work outs where I burnt enough calories off.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I just really, really like food.

This. It tastes good.

I even mainly like the healthy stuff...
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    1. Sexual Assualt Victim (stopped eating for a while to try and make my body disappear, so I wouldnt be attractive and have the same thing happen again)
    2. Mom making fun of fat people
    3. Mom convincing my friends to call me fat in front of me with her, and if they disgreed they simply didnt love me enough to tell me the truth.
    4. A diet bet my parents made with me when I was 11. If I lost 13 pounds I could get a wii, I didnt know how to loose weight so I just stopped eating. Its pretty much the only way I do know how to loose weight. Eating 500 calories or less. Thats part of the reason why I joined here to prove that I can eat a resonable amount of calories and still loose wieght.
    5. Low self esteem. After the assualt everything kindve went downhill. I still havent really told many people about it. I don't want to be classified as only a victim. As a person who chose to stand there and not scream, kick, yell or do something. I want to be seen as Danielle, not part of a statistic.

Your mother sounds like one of those people who should never have had children.

I'm sorry to hear what she did and I'm really sorry to hear about your assault. Obviously you're a pretty strong person to be on here and to be trying to change yourself. All the best with it.
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    The root of my weight issue...myself. Terrible choices, lack of respect for myself, etc.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's just never been the same since we killed off most of the larger predators. Nothing to run from anymore...

Bring back the sabre tooth tigers.
  • IKknoULuvNiesha
    Options
    My mom used to over feed me as a child and developed into me loving food to much to being addicted (and still am) to sweets so ya...
  • whozurdaddy101
    Options
    A bit of laziness, but it wasn't until 1.5 years ago that I discovered/fixed a heart condition that kept me from being as active as I would have liked.
  • willowdancer
    Options
    I love to cook and I love to eat; food is delicious and everything about it is pleasing to me, from presentation to consumption. That being said, I spoil myself with too much of what I like. Now, after years of trying to learn self restraint my biggest challenge has been consistency! I will do great for a few days then do really poorly for at least a week, then do good for a few days, etc etc. I've been treading water and getting no where which just leaves me frustrated and wanting to give up. BUT I can only imagine how much heavier I would be if I didn't at least try and succeed at getting a few good days in every once in a while!
  • willowdancer
    Options
    It's just never been the same since we killed off most of the larger predators. Nothing to run from anymore...

Bring back the sabre tooth tigers.

lol! I honestly think I would rather be fat than something's dinner! I can fix being fat, but once I'm eaten its game over!
  • Marcidy
    Marcidy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wishing instead of doing!
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I eat my feelings and I am a lazy person. HATE, HATE, HATE to exercise!! Still hate but am doing it cause I want to lose some of this weight!!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Had some health problems creep up on me a few years ago that prevented me from being active really at all. Even much walking. Cooking & doing laundry were the extent of what I could do. Had been active all my life so I gained 40 lbs. I eat pretty well though. Now that I'm getting better and able to be more active, I'm glad, but it's still such a hard process because I can't do everything quite yet like I want to.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I love food more than exercise. Didn't matter when I was moving constantly at work and playing sports every evening and weekend. Desk job + love of food = fat me. Don't get me wrong, I love it when I'm fit. But I lost track of that for several years and am now closing in on where I used to be.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I quit using drugs...
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I just love eating EVERYTHING
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    For me it's laziness, pure and simple.

A desk job plus life's daily chores leave precious little free time and I'd rather not spend it exercising. Even though I enjoy exercise, it's hard for me to keep commited to doing it regularly with so many other demands on my time.

100% totally THIS! I was just saying I wish I had more of my own time.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    As far back as I can remember, I have loved to eat. I never learned portion control and always ate to the point of being stuffed. Unfortunately, I tend to eat as a result of my emotions, stress, and boredom. I'm coming to realize that the reason I have always handled stress well is because I've treated it as an excuse to eat. Retraining myself to choose healthier alternatives to chinese food and cheapo pizza has been difficult. As a side note, I lost 20 pounds last year, but gained them all back starting at when I let myself go at finals week of 2012. I'm trying to make a life change here so that I won't be so hesitant to come back onto my diet from a difficult week such as that.
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a very poor family were there wasn't enough food for everyone in the family. When I was on my own at first, I didn't have enough money to pay for food and rent so I made due with not much. Once I was able to afford food, I learned to cook and kinda went ummm hog wild. Also then got pregnant and instead of eating for 2 I ate for 10. Gained weight fast,,,and got super lazy too. Now in my mid 40's Im fighting to loose every lbs Ive carried around for 20 years. I also didn't have shoes as a kid, and have ALOT of shoes now. And ya I do emotional eat...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    surgeries. packed on pounds recovering and eating whatever was brought to my bedside and pain killers make me think i'm hungrier than i am and that what i'm eating doesn't matter. until the haze lifts and i realize it does. it really really does.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I really believe that mostly it is because of my family not being educated on healthy eating. First off, we're italian. Pasta, bread, meatballs, italian sausage, lots of cheese.....(yummy). Plus we used to fry foods a lot, cuz at that time, it was all about taste. My Mom used to always keep junk food, like little debbie's in the house, n I would sneak them all the time. Also, much like most American families do, we associated food with love. Like when I was a kid, I used to love hanging out with my parents n eating ice cream, buttery popcorn, or chips n dip, and we'd plop in front of the TV to watch a movie. I remember my Grandmother getting on to my Mom for not making me a bedtime snack. Lol. I was little n told her I was hungry n my Grandma jumped right up n made me "pastina," which is little bitty pasta with eggs, butter, and salt. I used to love it! Also, for whatever reasons, I just wasn't active a lot. The kids that I lived next do didn't seem to like me, so I had to play by myself a lot, which was boring to me, so I would try to sit in the house. As I got older, we moved a lot n I didn't have many friends, so not much activity then either. Wanted to stay in and watch TV a lot. Also, food became way too much of a pass time for me whenever I was bored. I think that set me up to be even more of an emotional eater, since I was obviously eating for the wrong reasons. I mostly eat when bored and stressed. Those are my biggies. I definately would say I've dramatically changed those behaviors! Another biggie is "mindless eating!" That is huge!!!! Just eating because it's there. Not hungry, not craving it. Just eating to be eating, or because I saw something sitting on the counter, so I would grab that bag of Doritos, sit in front of the TV, and before I knew it, the bag was gone.