I hate strength training!! but i don"t want to be skinny-fat

Options
I do cardio everyday (jogging) and kickboxing one day a week.

I can't seem to get motivated or get into a routine of doing strength training.

I just do know when, what or how long to do each exercise.

What is a good way to make it fun?
When should I do it?
Rep Suggestion would be good too :)

Replies

• catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'd pick up a book if I were you. New Rules of Lifting for Women if you want weight training, or You Are Your Own Gym if you want body weight exercises would be my suggestion. They both have clear explanations and easy to follow gym routines, which it sounds like you need.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Yes, that may help since I feel kind of lost.

It took me a few weeks to feel motivated to do cardio, but I think it was easier just because I understand the concept of moving to burn fat.

I have weights and resistance bands, I just dont know where to begin other than the occasional 5 lb. Curl or lung. LOL

I'll see if I cab find those books tomorrow at the library.

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I found Chalean Extreme great for beginners.
  • Jrclive
    Jrclive Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Making exercise fun is not an easy task, especially weight training. If you want to take the guesswork out and follow a dvd, then I would recommend 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels. You don't need much for her workouts, there are only 3, just some dumbells and a workout/yoga mat. I used 5lb or 10lb dumbells for the workouts and I noticed a huge difference between them. On some workouts I was screaming at the TV because I was feeling the burn. The workouts are 27 minutes in length, including the warm-up & cooldown. You stick to level 1 for ~10 days then move onto level 2 for ~10 days and then level 3 for the last ~10 days. Some people have had difficulty following her workouts everyday so you could do it every other day. I completed level 3 of her workout in March and now I'm doing P90X. I almost forgot to add, but the level 1 workout can be found on YouTube. I'm not sure about the other levels, but you could at least give it a shot :)
  • darkobrasco
    darkobrasco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm def not an expert, but you could get a partner that you could get into it with. "Fun" isn't really going to happen until you do it consistent enough for a long enough period of time to change the way you look at it. Once you start seeing your body transform into a healthier and stronger person, it'll get you excited to continue to only better yourself. If it was easy, everybody would be fit. Never give up though. Even when you have seasons of downtime and lazy moments, always bounce back tell yourself that isn't the you you want to be. It's inside of every single one of us to do it. Surround yourself with positivity and positive people and if you have faith in God, ask for strength to overcome the old mindsets and towards the new disciplined mindset of having control over you own flesh. You got this! :)
  • darkobrasco
    darkobrasco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the grammatical errors! Lol I really can write well. LOL :)
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm def not an expert, but you could get a partner that you could get into it with. "Fun" isn't really going to happen until you do it consistent enough for a long enough period of time to change the way you look at it.

Also if you are going to lift heavy then you probably would want a spotter to assist you with form and.. well to spot.

I just started strength training and I could never do it without a buddy.

Also, if you can, join a strength training group (crossfit?)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm def not an expert, but you could get a partner that you could get into it with. "Fun" isn't really going to happen until you do it consistent enough for a long enough period of time to change the way you look at it. Once you start seeing your body transform into a healthier and stronger person, it'll get you excited to continue to only better yourself. If it was easy, everybody would be fit. Never give up though. Even when you have seasons of downtime and lazy moments, always bounce back tell yourself that isn't the you you want to be. It's inside of every single one of us to do it. Surround yourself with positivity and positive people and if you have faith in God, ask for strength to overcome the old mindsets and towards the new disciplined mindset of having control over you own flesh. You got this! :)

Definitely this.

Seeing changes in the body and setting personal record lifting goals and meeting them makes it fun and exciting. Most people feel awesome after a lifting session too - strong, confident and like they could take on the world.

Find a good beginnners program like Starting Strength or NROL4W as has already been suggested, get a trainer or a lifting buddy to show you how to do the lifts correctly then away you go!
  • sahm2boys
    Options
    Being told exactly what to do at the gym is definitely helpful, for me at least. I recommend the Live Fit program to everyone for this very reason. Look it up on Google. I love it because #1, its free. #2, you are told what to eat every day, and what to do at the gym every day for 12 weeks! If you aren't sure about how to properly execute a certain move, there is a link to click for each one where you can watch a video to see the proper form. I personally have had great results. But you definitely have to get in the regular, gym-going mindset and make the commitment. At the very least, you could print off a few weeks worth of workouts and that would help you figure out what to do each day.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and besides doing circuit training with Jillian Michael's dvds, I also strength train with dumbbells and resistance bands 3 days a week. I like to lift while watching tv. It seems to help with the monotony. And my sessions are 30-40 minutes, which go by fast when watching something. I would get a range of dumbbells 3lb-10lb to start off with and kettle bells too. Kettle bells are my next purchase. I hear the workout with those is much more intense than using dumbbells. I eventually plan on joining a gym, so I can start to lift heavy and have a wider range of equipment to use. I think once you start seeing definition, it will help keep you motivated...it does for me, anyway.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Being told exactly what to do at the gym is definitely helpful, for me at least. I recommend the Live Fit program to everyone for this very reason. Look it up on Google. I love it because #1, its free. #2, you are told what to eat every day, and what to do at the gym every day for 12 weeks! If you aren't sure about how to properly execute a certain move, there is a link to click for each one where you can watch a video to see the proper form. I personally have had great results. But you definitely have to get in the regular, gym-going mindset and make the commitment. At the very least, you could print off a few weeks worth of workouts and that would help you figure out what to do each day.

Excellent post, never cam across this before and just googled it. looks amazing and really in detail!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Weightlifting for Women! I've started it recently and my workouts really don't take long. The exercises concentrate on large muscle groups rather than isolations so you spend less time in the gym without lessening your results (unless you're looking for the competitive bodybuilder look where you'll need isolations).
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    New Rules of lifting for Women! (corrected)

I definitely recommend buying this book and reading the first part (i.e. its explanation of why women should lift heavy) but I'd ditch the workouts and dietary advice. Once you've read NROLFW, look into Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. It's a tremendous beginner program encased in what has to be the most comprehensive book about compound barbell lifting I've ever seen.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Go to the club and dance.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'd pick up a book if I were you. New Rules of Lifting for Women if you want weight training, or You Are Your Own Gym if you want body weight exercises would be my suggestion. They both have clear explanations and easy to follow gym routines, which it sounds like you need.

Those are both great ideas. Two other programs that are popular on MFP are Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength. Any one of these programs will give you the structure you need.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, look up Nike Training Club or Fitness Buddy.

Nike training club is not your typical strength training app. It's more body weight and circuit training focused, which I like. It shows you the exercises, has videos/instructions, and even counts down for you and tells you when to switch exercises.

Fitness Buddy has routines and exercises for every piece of equipment imaginable, and you can even create your own routines. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'm planning on doing so this summer.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I would say you are already doing some strength training. Cardio still works the muscles mostly arms and legs but still works them and rowing works the midsection too.

But you said you do Kick Boxing, surely that has levels of resistance and strength to it? I know for a fact Karate does with is more or less the same thing.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Best suggestions I can offer:

One - get a GREAT mix (playlist) of music that keeps the beat moving and you really enjoy. You'll get lost in your own little world and before you know it, workout is done!

And two - find a lifting (ST - cardo - gym) partner - that helps me alot more than I thought.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I take classes at my gym(spin, zumba, kickboxing, cardiomix etc..) and I would rather do one of those instead of weight training. However, I know strength training is important too. I recently started dragging my husband to the gym(actually I think he might be starting to like it) and we take strength training classes together(kette bells and also free weights) and it is motivating to have him there. I am also cutting down on my cardio just a little to make room from strength training.
    We can do it:)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    What is it about strength training you don't like? It seems that for most people its the opposite. Love ST, hate cardio. Anyway...

For programs:

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    Greyskull Linear Progression

Those three are for regular free weights. You might also want to check out kettlebell and sandbag training, and never discount bodyweight training. But you should be doing everything at an intensity that allows you to hit failure or fatigue in a low amount of reps. Less than 10 is ideal.