Does your menstrual cycle affect your weight loss?

Options
Sorry if this is a little TMI, but I am curious. I really started eating better/working out around the first of the year and I've lost 4 lbs. so far (which I am proud of!), but I was a little bummed this morning to weigh myself (I weigh in officially every monday morning) and not see any loss - actually a little gain. My cycle is very predictable, almost ALWAYS a month to the day and I'm due to start in about 3 days. Could I be retaining water already and/or my hormones already playing a part? I won't lie and say that I'm not frustrated, even though I know it's not a big deal and will pass. Just wanted to find out of other women struggle with this?

Replies

• wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes! It absolutely affects your weight loss. And your hormonal shift starts a few days before the actual day.

Good news: if you're consistent and fight through the cravings, you'll have a nice drop at the end!
  • binaspencer7
    Options
    I always gain like 5 lbs when it's that time of the month but lose it all when it's over. Good luck :)
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I for sure get very hungry right before my time of the month. Does this happens to you? Maybe that's why you went up a little?
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to read this, as I am currently near the end of "that time".. I weighed myself this morning to see I have lost 1/2lb, last week I lost 2lbs, so I may find that next Monday I will have lost more, being back to "normal"!
  • kuhristeee
    kuhristeee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That's good to hear. :) I usually don't have a hard time with cravings or over eating during my time, but my biggest problem will be motivation, I already know. I am always sluggish and usually have a hard time dealing with various pains (cramping, headaches, etc) so it will be difficult to WANT to work out. I will just have to keep plenty of Tylenol handy and just work through it. :)

Thank you!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    You'll start bloating two weeks into your cycle (so 2 weeks before your period) because of progesterone. It makes you retain water.. oh the joys of being a woman! It gets especially bad for me during my actual period .. oh well..
  • cupcake502
    Options
    Working out can be hard for a tiny bit ( and you need to try hard to get the motivation!) but once your going i think it helps my pains, better than anything else actually!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I normally gain a pound around the time I am due to start, but then that pound goes away immediately on day 3-4 of my cycle.
  • naturalval
    Options
    I know mine does. I get extra hungry about a week before my period actually starts and I have learned to indulge that hunger with good quality food in a controlled fashion, because it will go away once my period starts.
  • Nica_LosN_It
    Nica_LosN_It Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great question! I had this problem in the past. I would gain anywhere from 5-7 lbs (*wow*) in one week. I have been doing this enough to give some good advice. First of all, let me say that I lost 4.8 lbs the second week of January while on my cycle. It's all about the sodium intake. I love love salty snacks during my cycle. I've learned in the past that you have to watch your sodium intake and drink more water than you usually drink. I am telling you that it works.You're probably wondering about the water causing you to be bloated but its not the water that causes you to be bloated, its the sodium. So if you can continue to workout, stay within your calorie range and watch your sodium intake, you should still lose or maintain:flowerforyou:

I hope this helps:smile:
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    I'm glad I found this, esp. the information about water retention 2 weeks into the cycle, because last week when I weighed in, I was at that 2 week mark and had gained 3 lbs! I was so discouraged because my eating was right on track. I weighed myself this morning and found that those three lbs are gone, plus one more, so over 2 weeks, that's a net 1 lb loss. Whew, what a relief. :)
  • eveshih
    eveshih Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Has anybody lost weight and missed a cycle too? I have lost about 4 kilos in about 2 months .. my menstruation is always on the dot 30days ... its been 37 days ... and Im not pregnant .. does weight loss affect menstrual cycle?
  • Flosiey
    Flosiey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Will b watching my cycle like a hawk. So far so good
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Has anybody lost weight and missed a cycle too? I have lost about 4 kilos in about 2 months .. my menstruation is always on the dot 30days ... its been 37 days ... and Im not pregnant .. does weight loss affect menstrual cycle?

If you get to a very low bf% it may stop until you gain some weight back, but I'm sure that's not the case. Mine got a bit lighter and less painfull, but it's never been very regular, so no change here
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Weight loss/increased physical activity can affect your cycle. Mine has been haywire too since starting this journey almost a year ago. My periods have always been light, but now sometimes I'll get cramps,bloating, etc., but a nearly invisible flow. If it weren't for the cramps I wouldn't even realize I'm on my period sometimes. And it comes every 3 weeks now, instead of 4, which sucks,especially since I've learned not to weigh myself during my cycle. Even though I know the gain was TOM related, it still messed with my head. I've read you can gain up ten pounds during your TOM, between increased water retention and giving into cravings. Ain't nobody got time fo dat :sad: !
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I lose slowly, if at all over the month and as soon as my period starts I start losing like billyo - last cycle I lost 4lbs in 5 days. It means I look forward to them starting for the first time ever in my life.