HRM recommendation with specific features

Options
TTHdred
TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
I know there are tons of HRM posts already, but after a quick search I could not find what I wanted. I was wondering if there is a recommendation for an HRM that gives average Heart Rate AND calories burned. So far, I have found ones that do one or the other. Or just provide your heart rate as you work out (to track zones) rather than the average HR at the end. Also, while I know they are a little off, since it is calculating calories burned, it should allow me to enter my weight, age, etc.

Anyone has a HRM that does those two things?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My garmin does both... not sure if my suunto does or not. I think it does, but haven't paid attention to average HR in a long time.
  • TTHdred
    Options
    thanks! What kind of garmin do you have?
  • NonaUK
    NonaUK Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My HRM does this too, it's a Polar F6.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Most HRMs do this. Polars do (at least most of them). I have the FT7, FT60, and H7 from Polar and they all do that.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    thanks! What kind of garmin do you have?

Forerunner 610.
  • TTHdred
    Options
    thanks!
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

The Real Facts about HRMs and Calories -- What you need to know before purchasing an HRM (or using one)

First of all--how do HRMs count calories? First thing is that HRMs do NOT measure caloric expenditure--neither directly nor indirectly. HRMs measure heart rate and that's it. They estimate caloric expenditure during steady-state cardiovascular exercise using the relationship between heart rate and oxygen uptake (or VO2).
    The most commonly accepted method for measuring the calories burned for a particular activity is to measure oxygen uptake (VO2).

During *steady-state*, aerobic exercise, oxygen is utilized at a relatively consistent rate depending on the intensity of the exercise. There is an observable and reproducible relationship between heart rate and oxygen uptake.When workload intensity increases, heart rate increases and vice versa.
    If we have some individual data--resting heart rate, maximum heart rate, VO2 max, weight--it is possible to make reasonably accurate estimates of caloric expenditure based on the percentage of HRmax or percentage of HRreserve at which someone is working.

Get a HRM that measures VO2 and you'll have what you need. As well as age, sex, height and weight.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex and it gives the low, high, average and minutes in "zone"
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My New Balance N4 does both.
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I researched HRMs a lot before purchasing and found a number that track both. I chose the Polar FT4 and love it. Has everything you're looking for. Once I'm into running (which will come one day,) I'll be checking out the Garmins, which I heard are awesome!
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    Polar FT4 does everything I need. And it's pink!!!
  • jamielee760
    jamielee760 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is amazing! Everyone I know that has it loves it as well. Cant beat the price either!
  • ilenelynne
    ilenelynne Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Polar H7 Strap - sync is with Digifit and your exercise points will sync automatically with My fitness pal - works great
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    mine does this, it is a garmin forerunner 110...LOVE it!

especially for the added features for runners/walkers/bikers, its amazing!
  • sky15425
    sky15425 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 has all those plus VO2max, if you're looking for more accurate readings.