For Women......on birth control pills no weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• stepgonz
    stepgonz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm on Lo Loestrin and I am not having problems losing weight. It is a very low bc pill. I have always heard that it's not the actual bc pill that makes you gain weight but it can increase your appetite which will cause you to eat more and gain weight. My doctor told me to give the pill three months for your body to get used to it. Until then, just make sure you're still eating at a healthy deficit.

Yea i am on an ultra low dose. So far it has not increased my appetite of anything or even felt bloated but the scale is staying th same. i was losing 2 pounds a week then just stopped. Makes me mad
  • MelanieAnneWoods
    MelanieAnneWoods Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am on Yaz and have been on it for years. I did have a break for six months but my skin broke out so I went back on. I did put on weight but your body needs at least four months to adapt. I am now losing weight again. Don't worry about it now , you have only just started the pill so give your hormones some time to balance out. You do not say how old you are. I am 43 and definitely find losing weight a lot harder than in your 20"s or 30"s. Good luck.
  • stepgonz
    Options
    I was on Lutera up until this past January and it effected me the same. I could not lose weigh... not even a lb. It is however, the best birth control pill I have found... and for me, had the least amount of side effects. Honestly, you may just have to chose which is more important to you... Not having children (which mind you can be prevented other ways) or losing weight. I do know though, that depovera is very responsible for weight gain, which I did not have on Lutera.

Give Lutera at least 3 months is what I was told. I am not guaranteeing you will lose weight, but I know from experience (for my body) it was the best choice.

So far its the best i found too. I tried 3 different kinds of one of them even had me bloat up 9 pounds in 1 week with no change to my diet. When i quit taking them i lost it in 3 days so i know it was water weight but my stomach got so big i looked prego. i was one of the lucky ones who never gained even half a pound on depo. Im going to stick with it and up my cardio even more and see what happens.
  • stepgonz
    Options
    I am on Yaz and have been on it for years. I did have a break for six months but my skin broke out so I went back on. I did put on weight but your body needs at least four months to adapt. I am now losing weight again. Don't worry about it now , you have only just started the pill so give your hormones some time to balance out. You do not say how old you are. I am 43 and definitely find losing weight a lot harder than in your 20"s or 30"s. Good luck.

I am 28. I wanted to try yaz but i heard bad things about it. Im glad it works for you
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week! It's going to take at least 2-3 months for your hormones to regulate and that means in the meantime your weight may be effected (water retention and the like). Take a deep breath and just know this is part of the process. Keep eating right and exercising for your health and the weight loss will come in time.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    I was on Yaz for about 6 months...and it was awfull. 30-40 lbs, 2 cup sizes, horrendous mood swings..you name it. I switched to the nuvaring and immediately the weight gain stopped and i acted normal. I've been on it 7 years now. I did have a hard time losing weight, because of being in college etc, but now im still on it and im losing just fine (except for the bra sizes...)
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill for years, lost a bunch of weight, then decided to take myself off the pill. I realized I felt better on it so after 5 months, i just started taking it again in March. I've steadily lost weight since July 2011, until this past March, I "gained" 2 lbs. However my measurements are the same. Give the pill time, your body will adjust.
  • stepgonz
    Options
    I was on the pill for years, lost a bunch of weight, then decided to take myself off the pill. I realized I felt better on it so after 5 months, i just started taking it again in March. I've steadily lost weight since July 2011, until this past March, I "gained" 2 lbs. However my measurements are the same. Give the pill time, your body will adjust.
    I am going to try real hard and stick it out. Thanks
  • stepgonz
    Options
    I was on Yaz for about 6 months...and it was awfull. 30-40 lbs, 2 cup sizes, horrendous mood swings..you name it. I switched to the nuvaring and immediately the weight gain stopped and i acted normal. I've been on it 7 years now. I did have a hard time losing weight, because of being in college etc, but now im still on it and im losing just fine (except for the bra sizes...)
    [/quot

yea i have heard bad things about yaz
  • stepgonz
    Options
    Bump
  • augustawhysee
    Options
    Every person is different. I gained ten pounds in two weeks on Mirena, and was so exhausted that I was sleeping 16 hours a day. Luckily it expelled, but I'm still trying to lose the weight I put on when I had it in.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've gained about 10kg since going on the bc pill in Sept 2012. I'm on the "lightest" one available (whatever that means!!). I work out 6 days a week, watch what I'm eating and I can't lose any of the weight!! I definitely blame it on the pill.
  • amieemica
    Options
    I am on Depo Provera and finding it IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight. In fact,I've gained around 2 stone in the year since I went on it, and have not changed my diet or excercise, and I treat my body pretty well. (I bloat by about 6lbs over the course of the day)
    Good luck with your weight loss... hoping to find something new that won't affect my weight so much. These posts have been super helpful! :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I noticed your diary isn't open.