exercise headache?

Options
Hi I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on a problem I've had since I was a child, that whenever I do intense exercise, at a level my body is not used to, I alwaysget an intense headache about half an hour to an hour afterwards, and I can also feel sick as well. It does respond to paracetemol usually within half an hour of taking, but I don't really want to have to take tablets every time i exercise strenously! Does anyone else have this or know what causes it? As I increase my fitness, the headaches subside unless I take it up to the next level that my body is not used to...

Just to clarify, I don't think its dehydration because I make sure I drink like a fish before, during and after (and wee for England to prove that! hehe)
Is? Is there anything I could do to prevent it? Anyone else get this?
Thanks, Steph (determined to exercise anyway!)

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    You say you drink a lot of fluids but do you get protein and electrolytes after a workout. I get serious headaches after hard workouts if I don't eat. I haven't figures out exactly what it is but I know if I have chocolate milk and eat a healthy meal within an hour of an intense workout, I don't get the headaches.
  • klmix08
    klmix08 Posts: 14
    Options
    I get bad headaches too. But reading into them, I realized that my potassium intake is on the low end which can cause a headache and magnesium deficits cause headaches as well. So what I started to do is taking a multivitamin daily (includes magnesium) and a potassium supplement daily as well. My headaches have gone away. Also, when I was at the nutrition store yesterday the guy who works there told me if you get migraines or headaches that don't go away start taking feverfew (supplement you can get at the store) and it will help with the headaches.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    just wondering but do you clench your teeth? I have the bad habit of doing that when I run sometimes and I'll get a headache afterward when I relax. Sometimes I don't notice it until I'm done and my jaw is aching.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've found I get headaches and feel nauseous after working out if I haven't eaten properly beforehand. Especially if I work out more intensely than I'm accustomed to. I workout after work and before dinner, so I've been having a snack about an hour before I work out. It's helped so that I'm not working out on an empty stomach. And then I'll have my dinner shortly after the workout. When I first started, I wasn't used to working out and I'd get bad headaches from not eating enough before. It's not as bad now that my body has adjusted, but still, food is fuel.
  • tiffanynoblett
    Options
    I get really intense headaches as well, to the point where I am sick. Drinking plenty of water during exercise and after helps. Eating some sort of protein before helps too.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'd really recommend going to a doctor. I have the same problem with getting headaches during and after intense workouts and have only recently discovered that the headaches could be a result of pseudotumor cerebri and papilledema. Basically my cerebrospinal fluid is too high and it's putting too much pressure on my brain, and of course when you work out you're increasing blood flow to the brain, thus raising the pressure even more. This could be what you have and I'd say it's definitely worth looking into. Just to forewarn you, though...they had to do an expensive MRI to rule out any tumors, and then a not-so-fun spinal tap to diagnose the problem. But it is nice to know that there is a sound medical problem behind this, you know? Note that the two main risk factors for this are gender (female) and weight (too much of it).

I hope you get to feeling better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Ditto on what merimeaux said. There can be serious health issues causing this, so it's always a good idea to check with your doctor...definitely before ramping the intensity up again!

Feel better soon!
  • rlangevin24
    Options
    I get those all the time too! I find that when I do morning workouts and exercise strenuously I always get a headache afterward...are you eating anything before you work out? sometimes even just eating 1/2 an apple and 5-6 almonds helps to diminish the headache during and post workout. If you don't want to do that maybe try eating something RIGHT after your workout is done, sometimes the headaches are caused by hunger. Try to eat a snack with a high glycemic index like potatoes, bread or pasta within 30-60 minutes after your workout. They give you quick energy and burn off quicker! Hope this helps!
  • saintsteffers1
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your helpful suggestions! I will defintely look at what i'm eating before and after and see if tweaking that will help, and will also try to check it out with my doctor!! I guess cause I have always had it I had never thought it could be something that ought to be checked out! Although the spinal tap thing doesnt sound like fun!! And I dont think its my jaw but I'll look out for that one too!

Cheers and happy exercising!