How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
So, the scale hasn't moved this week but I am noticing a change in my body and can tell I'm gaining muscle so I'm figuring that's why but this morning I'm just kind of disappointed because the scale actually went up a pound from last week, I've been under or right at my calories not eating my exercise calories back and working out everyday but 1 and even on that rest day I still end up doing some strength. I'm thinking about switching my weigh ins from once a week to once every two weeks or even further apart than that because I want to rely on my body changing to show me I'm doing what I need to.

How often do you guys weigh in and did it help with your motivation to stretch out the amount of time between weighing in or not?? Thanks for your response! :-)

Replies

• Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am curious about what I weigh. Definitely better than weighing in once a week on the same day like I was doing before. If I didn't get the results I wanted it would affect my mood and motivation. So far, whenever I get on the scale (whenever I decide to do it) I always feel good about the results.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day because I want to see the fluctuations. Especially during TOM or high sodium days, etc...

But I only log on MFP what my weight is on Wed. mornings. :smile:

Also, I log my measurements once a month. That way if I keep up with exercise and eating right, ONE of those numbers is bound to go down!! haha :wink:
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i weight myself once a week on the same day around the same time. Every now and then I crack and weigh myself a second time 3-4 days later. But I don't wanna drive myself crazy, so once a week is where I try to keep it. The scale can be discouraging.
  • redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to the scale. I hate it. I had my husband hide it for one week, and then I didn't have him hide anymore. I find myself weighing every freaking morning right before my shower. I am 2 pounds heavier this morning than I was yesterday morning. I know its sodium/water weight from my mexican dinner last night, so it doesn't bother me so much. But I have been battling these 3 or 4 pounds for almost a month now!! I have got to get control and quit worring about the number, but more on my health. I think I am going to go home, put the scale in another room and try to stay clear of it for a few weeks. Yeah..........we'll see how that goes.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    weighing is so motivating and demotivating !!!!

At the beginning, when wt. loss was more rapid, I weighed once a week. (On thursdays as i thought it would motivate me to be good on weekends, and didnt want to do mondays, as realized i would be more likely to go out to eat etc on weekends)

Now i weigh every 2 weeks, I started doing this when wt loss slowed down, as it was sooo discouraging and demotivating, and would make me want to eat!!!(about 3 months into it., or after about 12 lbs lost),

When i was at a real standstill about 25 lbs down, I redid my calorie levels etc. Not sure how much youve lost but you may want to redo yours.

GOOD Luck
  • Themuseinme
    Options
    oh yeah when i reach maintenance i will weigh once a week again!!!!!!!!!
  • Themuseinme
    Options
    also remember the slower the weight loss the more likely you will keep it off
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    also remember the slower the weight loss the more likely you will keep it off

Thank you for that, so true and a wonderful motivator, I just have to remember this!!! :-)
  • flutternfly
    flutternfly Posts: 123
    Options
    I weigh almost daily. Lately, I've been gone a few nights a week so I don't take the scale with me. I have a regular weigh in on Saturday morning. I do find my mood is affected by my weigh ins. I have been stuck in a holding pattern for nearly a month so it's really frustrating.

I did add more calories to my diet and that actually cracked my plateau a few months ago. I took this week off as I have been in contest mode for a month and I think my body needs a break from the heavy duty hardcore workouts and strict diet. I'm going to take the rest of this week off and then hit it again next week.

I'm doing a 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks, which I haven't really trained for so i'll be eating more calories to compensate for the extra burn I should be getting once I start the training.

I realize I hit a plateau every 2-3 months. Frustrating but I can always feel my body continue to change if I'm working out and eating right.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    i weight myself once a week on the same day around the same time. Every now and then I crack and weigh myself a second time 3-4 days later. But I don't wanna drive myself crazy, so once a week is where I try to keep it. The scale can be discouraging.

^This

I do my "official" weigh in once a week (Thursday morning), but will get on the scale on Monday and/or Tuesday to see how I did over the weekend. I used to be very obessed with the scale but I've finally gotten to the point where I know it is just one of many tools to guage my weight loss.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I step on the scale every morning, the only reason I do this is because my scale tracks my weight online and I want a very accurate information to look back on, as well it helps for trending, I can see what is happening over time and it helps me not to worry about stalls and small gains if I can see the overall trend is down.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I find that If I don't I get too cozy eating the wrong food. It helps to have to answer to the scale the day after a binge.
  • NLKatherine
    NLKatherine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    whenever I feel like it.
    Usually every 2 weeks or so, but sometimes more.

I used to take progress pictures every 2 weeks at the same time of day in a bikini (not a pretty picture but at least you can see your body) and I found it really motivating. I could see all the small changes because I had bi-weekly snapshots showing the progress. Same outfit, same spot, same time. It worked.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Every 3-4 days usually. Just to make sure I'm on track.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning - it's a habit and part of my routine. The fluctuations in daily weight don't bother me, I'm fascinated that I can go up or down 2-3 lbs in a day, up and down during the week, and how it varies with water intake, sodium, hormones, workouts, etc.

I don't record my weight every day, only when it's dropped below whatever my last recorded weight was. I track my measurements about once a month.
  • cougar2007
    Options
    So, the scale hasn't moved this week but I am noticing a change in my body and can tell I'm gaining muscle so I'm figuring that's why but this morning I'm just kind of disappointed because the scale actually went up a pound from last week, I've been under or right at my calories not eating my exercise calories back and working out everyday but 1 and even on that rest day I still end up doing some strength. I'm thinking about switching my weigh ins from once a week to once every two weeks or even further apart than that because I want to rely on my body changing to show me I'm doing what I need to.

How often do you guys weigh in and did it help with your motivation to stretch out the amount of time between weighing in or not?? Thanks for your response! :-)

Sarah, have you measured at all? Sometimes the biggest gains aren't from the weight loss but the drop in inches around your waist or hips or the increase in your biceps and forearms.
  • JaimeMWS
    JaimeMWS Posts: 36
    Options
    I weight every day, but average the numbers for the week and log the average. This allows me to see progress (or lack thereof) while even-ing out the daily fluctuations.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and keep track of it separately so I can watch the fluctuations. I only log my weight on MFP when it goes below the last weight I logged.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day because I want to see the fluctuations. Especially during TOM or high sodium days, etc...

But I only log on MFP what my weight is on Wed. mornings. :smile:

Also, I log my measurements once a month. That way if I keep up with exercise and eating right, ONE of those numbers is bound to go down!! haha :wink:

Exactly this, word for word, including the day of the week :flowerforyou: .
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and keep track of it separately so I can watch the fluctuations. I only log my weight on MFP when it goes below the last weight I logged.

This