Anyone coupon?

Options

Replies

• barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I do. I use the ones for healthy food as much as possible and try to split the difference with the processed stuff-like hamburger helper or Zatarain's rice. Instead of ground beef, I use boneless skinless chicken breasts which I then grind at home and use just like ground beef, but almost zero fat. Or we add shredded chicken breast instead. Usually once a week I crock a big package of the boneless skinless, trimmed of fat too and crock it for the week. I save a few dollars on food, a few on health and beauty. And I almost always buy only what is on sale and use a coupon if there's one available. This week, our grocery store has Johnsonville sausage on sale for super cheap, and I have a coupon for it. I'm not sure which kinds are on sale until I get there, but I will be able to use one of them and then make a soup with fresh veg, whole grain, whatever. Or I can buy some fuji apples that are on sale for 88 cents a pound and make sausage and apples-baked in the oven with onions-super cheap food and not as awful as the drive through.

The hardest thing for me is that any kind of processed food, which is what the food coupons are usually for-have a lot of sodium. I just have to try and make sure on processed food dinner days I eat other foods that are cleaner. I don't have any medical reason to worry about sodium, just trying to do as much as I can that is healthy.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I try to but I'm not nearly as good at it is as my mom is lol she's always giving me coupons and telling me how to use them like I got 2 free greek yogurts at meijer last week. I've also been using the site couponmom.com which tells you what is on sale and what coupons you need for each week. i don't have time to do all the work but its easy to check a website and see what i want then cut them and go!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Why would I? You can't use them for alcohol or tobacco.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have tried but I can never find any good coupons. Where do you get them?

Try online at sites like CouponMom.com. Google "printable grocery coupons" to find websites that allow you to print your own at home. You can also sign up for grocery store shopper cards and get access to electronic coupons through your local stores. Then you don't even need to carry coupons to the store with you. And you don't even need to know you have a coupon...the computer at the store does it all automatically for you! :smile:
  • sanric1503
    Options
    I am not an extreme couponer. I like to call myself a real-life couponer. I don't buy things just because it's free or cheap (unless it's personal care items or things I know I can donate to my local church or mission)
    My market doubles coupons up to a $1 and that's about it. You can't stack coupon on coupon but my rule of thumb when I go is to save as much as I spend. So if I spent $50, I'm expecting to save $50 through the store's ad and coupons.

Rarely does produce have a coupon but BUY IN SEASON PRODUCE and only whats on sale.
    Same thing with meats, stockpile when on sale and use up your stockpile and base your meals off of what you have (not what you are craving at the moment)

Also - BJ's is my favorite place to go for personal care items. Their coupon booklet stacks with manufacturers coupons. I've used $60 in mixed BJ coupons and manufacturers during one shopping trip.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I always thought coupon was a noun.

I used to think so too! But then I found out it's actually a verb.

Apparently, or so I've been told, you have to gather up a billion gazillion gillion coupons, keep them in notebooks, go to 87 different stores, buy 37 bottles of ketchup, 90 tubes of toothpaste, 18 toothbrushes, 48 cans of creme corn, and so on and so on and so on...then, when you get your 19 buggies to the register, you spend 3 hours checking out, 2 of those are for the cashier to scan your coupons, then when it's all said and done, the cashier will hand you $13.68 which they owe you for taking all of that stuff off their shelves.

Then you do it over again next week.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Why would I? You can't use them for alcohol or tobacco.

Marlboro and Camel send me coupons all the time.
  • fitznewme2013
    Options
    I have tried but I can never find any good coupons. Where do you get them?

Try online at sites like CouponMom.com. Google "printable grocery coupons" to find websites that allow you to print your own at home. You can also sign up for grocery store shopper cards and get access to electronic coupons through your local stores. Then you don't even need to carry coupons to the store with you. And you don't even need to know you have a coupon...the computer at the store does it all automatically for you! :smile:

a lot of times you can email your favorite companies and let them know how much you use their products and they will send you coupons! some do not though.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    For myself it's a waste of time. I clip the coupons for the name brand stuff but when I look, the generic stuff is cheaper then the brand stuff with the coupon. There are a few things that I buy name brand, but I buy so little of groceries, I've never found it useful.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do - it takes a little time to get into but once you do it's awesome. I can't remember the last time that I paid money for toothpaste or toothbrushes... I use coupons regularly both at the grocery store and at drugstores, however I find that most of my big savings come from household and beauty products rather than food.

I have a reasonable stockpile (only what I think we will use before it expires or within a year or so). If I don't have a use for something I don't buy it just because it is cheap or free (and remember that you still pay sales tax even if a coupon makes it free so it may not actually be free!). I will buy items that I don't have a use for if it is a "moneymaker" in order to maximize my savings. Anything that I end up with that we won't use I give away - either to friends and family or to a women's shelter that's nearby.

I really love the site hip2save.com. She's got some great videos for beginners on her site and she does the matchups for the drugstores. I use a local blog to do the matchups for my local grocery store.

It's a lot of fun - just take it slow and don't get frustrated about not getting the "best" deal every time! Good luck!
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Can I pay someone to coupon for me? LOL
  • L_Francis
    Options
    I 'coupon' here in the UK. But I do it online and we don't call it coupons we say vouchers. Coupon has more of a ring to it I think though. This site has some really good offers if there are any Brits out there interested?

http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
  • Tavysh
    Tavysh Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I stockpile milk when it's on sale at Walgreens each month...other than that I never find coupons for the stuff I want.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Yes, I coupon all the time here in Canada... you should see my stockpiles! Muahaha :laugh: :devil:

I am Canadian too! I have a walk in pantry that I keep full with coupons, and even send a crate overseas every year packed full of stuff I get free or near free with coupons!
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There are lots of healthy deals to be found. It's really just a matter of learning the organic brands and searching for their coupons. Whole Foods and Sprouts have great coupon stacking deals (meaning you can match a store coupon with a manufacturers coupon). I've gotten tofu, zevia, and nut milk for free several times.

The link below is the most comprehensive list of couponing for organic and/ healthy foods that I've found:

http://www.couponing101.com/organic-printable-coupon-sites/

If you subscribe to these manufacturer's mailing lists and Facebook, they regularly post coupons.

When it comes to fresh fruit and vegetables, Aldi is always the cheapest.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    http://thekrazycouponlady.com/2011/05/03/expired-coupons-military-overseas-can-use-them/

not sure what address my church sends them as they just have a big box out for ppl to put them in
  • AKB241
    AKB241 Posts: 1
    Options
    Their this site called mypoints you can print and redeem coupons. You can also add friends and also get gift cards for free like 50 Walmart gift cards, 50 dollar target gift cards and a whole bunch of other gift cards for free. The fastest way to get the gift cards if you want them to would be print coupons and and friends who use coupons because friends are 25 points and printing coupons. is Earn up to 1,000 Points when your friends print and redeem coupons. 50 coupons you earn 100 Points
    250 coupons you earn 500 Points
    500 coupons you earn 1,000 Points and the $25 gift card is 3,000 points, $50 dollar gift card is 7,500 points. I just received a $25 dollar gift from Walmart earlier and it was legit. I didn't have friends so it took me way longer to get points because I was only using the surveys and playing games but if I had friends that accepted the invite to mypoints and use coupons it would not take long. So If yor interested send me your email and your name and I will send a invite to Mypoints.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I mostly coupon for household items like laundry soap or toilet paper. Right now you can get Finish dishwasher detergent for as little as .85 a box. If I find a good deal on food that we'll use, I'll stock up on it. Last year I got over 100 boxes of Crystal Light. For .19 a box.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I use Kroger coupons and just learned about
    Whole Foods online coupons. I save when
    possible.