Help! My legs always feel tired

Options
I am biking about 50 miles per week and walking 10 miles. I am 46 yrs old and I know that I won't recover as fast as i did years ago. However, my legs feel like I have just done 10 sets of squats. All the time, can anyone give me some suggestions? What am i doing wrong or what can I change?

Replies

• Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching? I walk A LOT, and my legs feel tired often as well. I stretch stretch stretch, then have my husband massage them. :)
  • bikerdave1963
    Options
    no i hate to. I guess it's worth a try.
  • Nikki_Marz
    Nikki_Marz Posts: 35
    Options
    Also check your shoes, make sure they give you the support you need as well as any possible insoles you may need to support your feet. Something ridiculous like 80% of people actually need foot support of some kind, and the right shoes can reduce stress on the legs during regular use.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I had that problem and it was due to not stretching enough.
  • JennCh
    JennCh Posts: 63
    Options
    I read a really interesting article yesterday about eating carbs and protein before and after working out. The research was conducted on men cyclists, and the results showed that for men protein was the best choice for recovery after a strenuous workout. You may want to track what you're eating to see if this is affecting you in any way. What was extremely interesting about the research was they did the same tests on women cyclists, and the results showed women didn't get the same benefits from post-workout protein or carbs. Being a female athlete who battles fatigue, this was very disheartening.

The article can be found at http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/phys-ed-what-exercise-science-doesnt-know-about-women/ if you're interested in reading it.
  • bikerdave1963
    Options
    Great info. I will check it out!:smile:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am biking about 50 miles per week and walking 10 miles. I am 46 yrs old and I know that I won't recover as fast as i did years ago. However, my legs feel like I have just done 10 sets of squats. All the time, can anyone give me some suggestions? What am i doing wrong or what can I change?

I am loathe to say this to you, but .... it doesn't get easier as you get older :sad:

I have done sport for 33 years now, mainly athletics, swimming, martial arts, therefore you would think all would be fine and dandy, but it's not and when I have finished on the treadmill, my hips damn well kill me :laugh: - sometimes they feel so tired and shaky, but I know this is due to my age (49) - not gonna let it stop me though, but I will draw a line at side-splits because that might just snap me in half :laugh: