Sugars in fruit?!?!

Options

Replies

• DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is not harmful. You benefit from a lot of other wonderful properties like antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals. You won't get these compound bonuses from eating a danish or a piece of candy. Focus on consuming your daily recommended servings of fruits which are 2 cups per day. You can always substitute for lower sugar fruits like green apples and berries.

^^ THIS. I'm totally being a creep, but it's true :)
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    As long as you don't have a medical condition that requires you to limit your sugar intake, you are fine. If anything, watch your unnatural sugar intake, not natural. Sugars from fruit are fine. I go over my sugar limit daily and it hasn't stopped me from becoming a healthier, smaller me.

I totally agree with this. I have PCOS and my body does not break down any form of sugar very easily, so my doctor told me to eat fruits, just not too many ( 2 or 3 servings, tops) It's the same with veggies. Veggies also have natural sugar, but not nearly as high as fruit. I have to watch fruits, veggies and refined sugar (which I never touch!!). I LOVE fruit, so it's hard for me to not devour it with every meal. The best thing you can do is to know your body!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I ignore all sugar from natural fruit. By this I mean I won't count an apple but I will count apple juice. It's one of the things that most people wish MFP could do but can't, distinguish between natural and added sugar.

And metabolically speaking what would be the difference from let's say natural and refined sucrose?

I have no idea scientifically speaking but I couldn't follow a plan that wouldn't let me pick apples from a tree and eat them.

Guess what? Your body can't distinguish between the sugars just like mfp can't

For a second suppose your succinct answers can be confusing to people who attempt to do their own research and find things like this:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/546655-does-the-body-process-fruit-sugars-the-same-way-that-it-does-refined-sugar/

...telling them that their body will have a more difficult time breaking down and metabolizing refined sugars. Perhaps being helpful could be more, oh, I don't know, informative and less like sarcasm.

Going to post something valid instead of livestrong articles? And guess what fruits contain other sugars than fructose
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Focus on consuming your daily recommended servings of fruits

Recommended by whom?
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    I was told years ago (I am old) that we all need 3 fruits a day plus a banana (for the potassium). That was because my nails had white streaks in them - an indicator I wasn't eating enough fruit. I am aware MFP counts all sugars not just the unhealthy ones. So you need to adjust your thinking and not worry. Fruit is very important for healthy balanced nutrition. Of course, fruit juice is like eating several fruit so you have to watch that.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i limit fruit to 2 pieces or less per day. Veggies are better anyway
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat nothing but fruits and vegetables for breakfast and lunch.

You need to incorporate some protein with your fruits and Veggies. You may be new to losing weight so I suggest googling (or reading the forums here) why and how much protein your body needs ;) I am not being rude I just don't know how long you have been on this journey and maybe you don't know :)

I only consume fruit for mainly two meals a day yet I still manage to get in more than enough protein in a day (and I don't consume meat, fish or most animal products).
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    no one has ever gotten fat from fruit.
    period.

See the quote above you from "ldrosophila" she ballooned up to 440lbs on fruit!
  • saralayne42
    saralayne42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    However, think of it this way - when you eat an apple, along with those sugars you're getting vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, etc. If you ate that sugar in the form of a candy bar, you'd get little to none of that. The other health benefits of fruit outweigh the negative impact of the sugars (when eaten in moderation, of course).
    [/quote]

^^^^this
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I ignore all sugar from natural fruit. By this I mean I won't count an apple but I will count apple juice. It's one of the things that most people wish MFP could do but can't, distinguish between natural and added sugar.

And metabolically speaking what would be the difference from let's say natural and refined sucrose?

I have no idea scientifically speaking but I couldn't follow a plan that wouldn't let me pick apples from a tree and eat them.

Guess what? Your body can't distinguish between the sugars just like mfp can't

Do you have evidence to substantiate this claim?
    http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/2/236.full
    there is broad scientific consensus that there are no significant metabolic or endocrine response differences or differences in health-related effects between HFCS and sucrose.
    What we do know, however, is the overall increase in consumption of sugar (of all kinds) in our diets does directly correspond to the increase in both obesity and Type II diabetes.

It's not what sugar we eat, it's that we're continually eating more of it in a linear fashion.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    no one has ever gotten fat from fruit.
    period.
    People gain fat from eating an excess of calories above their TDEE. It wouldn't matter if their diet was 100% fruit or 100% meat.

The science is extremely clear in this regard.
  • Heypapajinx
    Heypapajinx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Going to post something valid instead of livestrong articles? And guess what fruits contain other sugars than fructose

What I'm suggesting is that you simply post informative responses instead of attempting to belittle everyone with your apparent WEALTH of knowledge by trailing commentary that reeks of sarcasm. Why not share that wealth of information and actually EXPALIN what you mean. Even in your response to me, "going to post something valid instead of livestrong articles. And guess what..." could have been more imformative. You could have responded with "the reason that this article can not be taken at face value is... I hope this helps to clear things up." But instead, you chose a more confrontational approach and rather less constructive. I don't know what the difference is, just like the person who started this thread and is asking these questions, that's why I came in here. What they are looking for educated answers, not someone to talk to them like they're stupid.
  • MikeInAZ
    Options
    Although your body will breakdown natural sugars easier than HFCS or other man made sugars, you still need to be aware of sugar in fruit.

You won't see a diabetic eat a bowl full of grapes and say "oh the sugar in here doesn't count". 10 grams of sugar is 10 grams of sugar and will spike your blood sugar levels. You either need to use it (exercise), or metabolize it with insuline.

Part of an over all healthy diet is a healthy level of sugar. So if you consume 100 grams of sugar from some oranges is that better than 100 grams of sugar from M&Ms? No it's not.

I'm quoting from WikiPedia Here. "The glycemic response to a food is the effect that food or meal has on blood sugar (glucose) levels after consumption. A low glycemic food will release glucose more slowly and steadily, which leads to lower postprandial (after meal) blood glucose readings. A high glycemic food causes a more rapid rise in blood glucose levels after meals. High glycemic foods are idea for energy recovery after exercise or for a person experiencing hypoglycemia".

Most fruit high in glucose has a high glycemic index level, so eating large portions of it WILL indeed spike your blood sugar levels and make your pancreas work extra hard to level it out. Until there is a cure for diabetes, do yourself a favor and try not to spike your blood sugar often unless you plan on heavy exercise. Body parts do wear out.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Refined sugars are your enemy. Fruit sugars, not so much. Unless you have a medical condition where sugar is sugar and you have to keep them low. I have reactive hypoglycemia so for me the fruit is okay, coupled with a protein. I don't sweat sugars coming from natural sources. Now, that doesn't mean skip the veggies and eat all fruit. That's no good either.
  • MikeInAZ
    Options
    However, think of it this way - when you eat an apple, along with those sugars you're getting vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, etc. If you ate that sugar in the form of a candy bar, you'd get little to none of that. The other health benefits of fruit outweigh the negative impact of the sugars (when eaten in moderation, of course).

^^^^this
    [/quote]

So it's ok to eat Lucky Charms cereal because they fortify it with vitamins and minerals and fiber? No it's not. The trick is to not spike your blood sugar. So you need to chase that apple with some protein and some exercise.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. If you don't do this everyday I don't see why it matters. Fruit is good for you.
  • avocado22
    avocado22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kryxx
    Kryxx Posts: 34
    Options
    Is this thread for real?
  • bawlzz
    bawlzz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The lack of knowledge in these threads just like these that pop up every single day on MFP is ****ing scary man. At some point you have to blame the people and not just the misinformation out there. IM OUT THIS *****
  • cljabusc
    cljabusc Posts: 48
    Options
    -yes fruits have sugar.... but there's no such thing as 'bad' sugar and 'good' sugar... sugar is sugar my friend.

-no you shouldn't stop eating fruit. It is packed with nutrients, incluting fibre and vitamins. i try to set my limit at 2-3 servings of fruit a day.....because i love it and would eat it all the time if i could.

-eat more vegetables than fruit, I only eat about 3 servings but i know i should be eating 5-6.

-take sugar intake off of your food calculator.... i think its a pretty low goal, and it discouraged me even though i was eating pretty well.

-if you're really worried about sugar intake, look up fruits with high sugar and only have them once a day, or every couple days (oranges, banana, apples, grapefruits, etc.) and eat low sugar fruits instead (black berries, strawberries, blue berries)

:) hope that helps.