advice for losing inches off the weight

Options
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any proven tips for losing inches off their waist. I am a typical apple shape, about 1 stone overweight, however my waist size is 40 inches! I had no idea it was so much. My legs and arms do not particularly look that big, but when I let it all hang out my stomach looks about 6 months pregnant. I've read that a healthy waist should be 32 inches or less, so clearly I am really unhealthy.

So along with my new diet and exercise regime, I am going to try and target my waist, so that hopefully it will even out a bit? My general exercise tends to be using the exercise bike and walking, has anyone got any proven exercise or diet tips that have actually worked for them?

I am aware of all the waist exercises, however I just want to hear peoples experiences, how much they have managed to lose off their waist, how long it took etc??

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    6 months ago when I started lifting, I was 39" measured across the belly button and love handles. When I started actually paying attention to my nutrition last week of January, I was about 36.5". I am right at 32" now.

That being said, you can not loose inches off your waist. You can loose inches, period. They will come from where they come from. There is no way to spot reduce fat. You just reduce your overall body fat, and the inches go away.

As far as tips...eat healthy and at a calorie deficit. I am sure you already knew that and was looking for something to spot reduce. But like I said, that really isn't possible. Sorry. Just stay consistent and you will get there!
  • emilyhill1990
    Options
    Do you think that as I am apple shaped, my waist will always be bigger than average? I rememeber being a healthy weight and having a 34 inch waist...
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I think your body will be whatever you make it. You may have a tendency to store more fat around the waist, I don't know. But if you cut enough fat, you will get down to the muscle. The only person in charge of what your body WILL be is you. So make it that body you want it to be :wink:
  • fabry12
    fabry12 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think that you if you loose enough weight your waist will become thinner. If you think about your body configuration, there are not a lot of muscles or bones in the waist area. If you are talking about hips than it is different since the hips shape cannot be reconfigured :-(
  • taylorwaters98
    taylorwaters98 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    While you can't spot reduce fat, you can focus on muscle groups. When you do crunches, do modifications that focus your interior and exterior obliques. Tightening those muscles will draw in your waistline. Also, doing upper back excersizes (dumbell rows, shoulder presses, etc) creates a wider shoulder that makes the wais look narrower.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you right now except I need to lose everywhere but I started Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack on monday. (along with doing different levels of the 30 day shred on Monday, wed, and fri and with cardio on tues.& thurs. Now, of course I don't expect a 6 pack but I am sure it will help take inches off the waist. When I did the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred I went from a 42.5" waist to a 39" and from 46" hips to 43". I am going to remeasure probably at the end of next week. Of course you can't spot reduce fat and although the 6 week 6pack focuses mostly on the abs it does work some other parts of the body also. If you're interested it's free on youtube.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    While you can't spot reduce fat, you can focus on muscle groups. When you do crunches, do modifications that focus your interior and exterior obliques. Tightening those muscles will draw in your waistline. Also, doing upper back excersizes (dumbell rows, shoulder presses, etc) creates a wider shoulder that makes the wais look narrower.

^This. I think she took those words right of Jillian Michaels mouth! lol.
  • emilyhill1990
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I will look it up on youtube as well as maybe some abb workouts! Fingers crossed!
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    A deficit in calories. No exercise will take inches off of your waist. What is around your waist is fat, and can be lost through caloric restriction. :bigsmile: