Insanity. Only for "fit" people??

Options
2»

Replies

• rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Another question. How is the muscle soreness after the first day or week? I remember being moderately sore for 3 days after level one of 30DS, then mildly sore for about a day when starting level 2 and 3.
    I should wear shoes right? Dumb question I know but I did the whole 30DS in bare feet (on carpet)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Another question. How is the muscle soreness after the first day or week? I remember being moderately sore for 3 days after level one of 30DS, then mildly sore for about a day when starting level 2 and 3.
    I should wear shoes right? Dumb question I know but I did the whole 30DS in bare feet (on carpet)

I was pretty sore for the first week, not unbearably but pretty sore. I found if I take a steaming hot shower promptly after I didn't get as sore. Starting the second month I am in the sore boat again, but I expect it to only last the first week like in the very start.

You are going to need a good pair of cross trainers. There is quite a bit of jumping involved, particularly in the Plyo videos. I wouldn't suggest doing this bare foot but there are people who do so i guess however you feel most comfortable.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I did the first month of Insanity and the results were great. My fitness level improved dramatically, and I could really tell in my tummy that I was toning up, and I have never been that physically "fit". (I stopped there because I got bored with it, I also have a gym membership and can't do my workouts at home all of the time, but thats just my preference) Muscle soreness though, DEFINITELY. Just be prepared for that. I honestly took an Aleve or Ibuprofen every night while on the program, lol. I am a sissy though so it may not be as bad for you :)

Also, I still do the DVD's once or twice a week incorporating it into my overall fitness regimen and I do it barefoot. About 2.5 weeks into the program, my knees starting killing me (I have never had any problems with knee pain EVER with any other exercise I have ever done). So, I asked a question about it, posted a topic on here just like you did, and everyone recommended for me to do it barefoot. So I did, and my knee pain disappeared. Its weird I know, but if you did 30DS barefoot it may be a good idea for you to do insanity barefoot. Just gauge how you think it is going and switch things up if you need to. Good luck!! I am sure you will do great!

One more thing, someone else said something about protein shakes, YES!! Drink some whey protein before or after your workouts, it will help with the muscle soreness. Again, good luck!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options

I was so surprised at how sore I was during the first week of Insanity. Since I am in good shape now and have been exercising regularly for 6 months, it just really took me off guard. It was exactly the same kind of soreness I had when I started 30DS (from no exercise). So to answer your question: Very Sore.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is for fit people, but you can modify it to fit your needs, to a point. I would suggest taking the fit test that comes with it. If you still want to do it after that, have at it.
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through Month 2. My first day or two I felt like I'd never make it through, but here I am.
    I've noticed a dramatic increase in my fitness levels. Regardless I still take a ton of breaks. Don't be afraid to take them. If you watch it, you'll see that everyone in the video takes unscheduled breaks as well.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a lot of high impact work and many exercises you can't substitute for low impact.

I know everyone swears up and down you can modify the program to suit your fitness level, but there comes a point where you're making so many modifications that you're just not doing the program _at all_ anymore, and you would be better off doing something tailored to your fitness level.

I was going to say exactly this.

Insanity is not for beginners. You don't sound like a beginner though. But like above poster said: there's soooo many people that say you can modify all the Insanity exercises, these are the people that do Insanity because its cool to say you do Insanity. The program wasn't designed to be modified. If you can't do more than 90% of the exercises the way they were meant; you're NOT doing Insanity. You can however take breaks whenever you want, grab some water and continue, as long as you focus on form. If you find that you have to modify too much, Find something that you are able to keep up with. I think programs should be done the way they were meant to be done. Then find something you are able to do.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Do it at your own pace*Period* :smokin:
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Don't let fear stop you! Go for it!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a lot of high impact work and many exercises you can't substitute for low impact.

I know everyone swears up and down you can modify the program to suit your fitness level, but there comes a point where you're making so many modifications that you're just not doing the program _at all_ anymore, and you would be better off doing something tailored to your fitness level.

I was going to say exactly this.

Insanity is not for beginners. You don't sound like a beginner though. But like above poster said: there's soooo many people that say you can modify all the Insanity exercises, these are the people that do Insanity because its cool to say you do Insanity. The program wasn't designed to be modified. If you can't do more than 90% of the exercises the way they were meant; you're NOT doing Insanity. You can however take breaks whenever you want, grab some water and continue, as long as you focus on form. If you find that you have to modify too much, Find something that you are able to keep up with. I think programs should be done the way they were meant to be done. Then find something you are able to do.

I agree with this to a point. Some people can't do the hardcore jumps and those can be modified without destroying the integrity of the workout. If you have to modify a lot of the workout I would suggest saving it for when you're a little stronger.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say, you've lost 33 pounds since January 1st? That's freaking awesome!
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    I just got the Insanity workout system from a friend. I have 2 days left of the 30 Day Shred and I am ready to bump up my workout, longer and more intense. I love the 30 Day Shred, I've lost 11 lbs so far (haven't taken final weight or measurements yet) and I'm 33lbs down since Jan 1st. I started off at 240, weighed in this morning at 206.8, I'm 5'7" and some change. I started this weight loss journey off really slow, doing Just Dance 4 and biking, walking, etc, then last month added in 30DS. My question is, do you think I'll be able to do Insanity? My resting HR is 52, I'm very healthy overall (BP great, low cholesterol, no diabetes, no medical problems, no joint issues, no thyroid issues) I'm just overweight (or obese if you go by BMI). On the infommercial I don't really see people who started off looking like me, they are thin and just need to tone or guys with beer guts. Is this a realistic goal right now or should I do something else first before trying?
    I am not familiar with JM's shred video, but have done some of her other workouts prior to starting Insanity last month. Since you already have Insanity I don't see any problem with giving it a shot. Especially since you have already been doing another form of regular exercise. However, make sure you pay strict attention to your form with Insanity and don't try to keep up with everyone in the videos. Some of them have been at it for a long time and even they take a break when their form is poor. I agree with the member above who said " If you can't do more than 90% of the exercises the way they were meant; you're NOT doing Insanity"...... That said, give Insanity a try. There are a few good Insanity support groups on the board to keep you motivated. Good luck!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say, you've lost 33 pounds since January 1st? That's freaking awesome!

Thanks!
    I've decided, I'm starting Monday. Thanks for all the helpful feedback everyone!