Am I eating too much fruit?

Over the last year I've lost 135 pounds and then discovered that I was pregnant. I did up my calories from 1500 to 1800 but I still feel hungry all the time. I have been craving fresh fruit and I eat alot of it throughout the day. Could this be why I'm so hungry? I know the fruit is good for me but at the same time that seems to be where a good chunk of my calories come from (and the occasional craving splurge! :wink: ) and the fruit isn't super filling. Should I readjust my calories? I do eat back most of my exercise calories. I appreciate any input you guys can give me. Thank you!!

My stats
SW 388
lowest weight 253
Currently 258
5 1/2 months pregnant
GW (not that it matters at this point) 175

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Are you eating enough fat? Are you eating enough protein?

If you answered 'yes' to both questions, then you're not eating too much fruit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

What she said!
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Personally i would't eat fruit if i wanted to lose weight. This is due to the fructose. I would maybe have it PWO but thats it.

And yeah, get your protein and Fats sorted if you haven't already. Good luck!
  • FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    If you're 5-1/2 months pregnant, I believe your caloric intake probably should be more for your weight, etc that what your current calorie goal is. Have you talked to your Dr about nutrition and how many calories you should be eating?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

This. It's only too much if it prevents you from hitting your other goals (total cals, fats and protein).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    What does your doctor say? I'd eat at 5% below TDEE, plus whatever calories you need to eat for your baby. 1800 while pregnant, even for your weight, just doesn't seem nowhere enough to sustain you and your baby.
  • you are pregnant and need to eat more. if your body is craving fruit it is for a reason! our bodies tell us what we need if we actually listen lol. No one ever got fat from eating fruit and even though it is glucose, it's natural and burns easier in our body than sugar would.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    I did up my calories from 1500 to 1800 but I still feel hungry all the time. I have been craving fresh fruit and I eat alot of it throughout the day. Could this be why I'm so hungry?
    If that's a change in behavior and you weren't hungry before, that might be it. I'm hungry almost all the time and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat. If I'm idle and at home, I'm hungry.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    you are pregnant and need to eat more. if your body is craving fruit it is for a reason! our bodies tell us what we need if we actually listen lol. No one ever got fat from eating fruit and even though it is glucose, it's natural and burns easier in our body than sugar would.

no no no no no no no.
  • Fats & Protein. Like everyone above me said. LOL.

When I was pregnant I craved fresh pineapple and oranges.. ALL DAY.

It's just a part of being pregnant I think, our bodies do strange things. But that doesnt mean go crazy on the fruit. Try half an avacado and a handful of almonds before you hit the fruit. If you still crave it then go for small portions and earlier in the day.. never in the evening. Fruit is great for you obviously but not in large doses...
  • littlebre33
    littlebre33 Posts: 318
    As you are pregnant, I would talk to your doctor about an appropriate caloric intake. For a woman who is in "normal" weight range they recommend gaining 25-30lbs (as per my ob/gyn) but if you're on the heavier side of the scale they recommend to gain less. With my frist son I was in normal weight but gained too much! Then when I got pregnant for the second time I watched what I ate and only gained 7lbs (baby was 7lbs 11ounces). I didn't count calories, just ate healthy and walked! In the end I would say just eat healthy and no worry about losing weight, focus on giving your baby all the nutrients it needs!! If you are super concerned speak with your doctor! That is just my 2 cents!

Good luck!
  • debyid
    debyid Posts: 5 Member
    Congrats on your pregnancy! Why do you say fruit is good for you? Get your vitamins and fiber elsewhere. All your doing by eating fruit is forcing your blood sugar and insulin levels to rise. When they start going down, you're feeling hungry again. That's why you're hungry. Get enough protein and fat to satiate you.
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    I appreciate all of the input! You guys are the best. I'm going to try talking to my doctor again. So far he's been pretty unconcerned but I don't want to get off the right track so I'm making a bigger deal about it than he is. He has just said make smarter choices, avoid alot of fast food and eat lots of fruit & veggies. I've read that since I was considered obese prior to pregnancy, I should only gain 11-20 pounds so that's what I'm going to aim toward. Thanks again all!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    If you are concerned about your body craving vitamins etc, take a pregnancy supplement. Then you can be sure you are getting enough of all the essentials and then you can figure out your diet. You do not need to increase cals whilst pregnant unless you are eating an unhealthily small amount.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    you are pregnant and need to eat more. if your body is craving fruit it is for a reason! our bodies tell us what we need if we actually listen lol. No one ever got fat from eating fruit and even though it is glucose, it's natural and burns easier in our body than sugar would.

Most women only need to eat another 200 calories per day at first and then maybe another 200 (400 total) during the third trimester, but it depends on their pre-pregnancy weight. "Eat enough for two" is a misnomer.

Fruit does not contain glucose. It contains fructose. Fruit is definitely healthier than a candy bar, but it does contain sugar. Diabetics and those with insulin resistance need to monitor their fruit intake for this very reason. I would never tell someone NOT to eat fruit, because it IS good for you, but it can wreak havoc on your macros/calories if you eat a lot of it. One banana can have 100-120 calories. An apple is 80-100.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Congrats on the baby! You are on the right track, Mama, but you're going to have to cut yourself some slack. I agree with the advice to still watch your calories, but if you want fruit, eat it. I craved it like crazy during both of my pregnancies. The juicier, the better...smoothies were like a drug! Yes, fat and protein are more filling, but pregnancy wants what it wants.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy!