People tell me don't lose anymore......

Options

Replies

• dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Are you happy with how you look? Maybe toning will take care of your problem areas or maybe a few more pounds... DO WHAT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY......I was never happy with my body til I found MFP and with the calories and the exercise, i am almost where I want to be.....
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You look awesome
  • jlturner386
    jlturner386 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think you have done an amazing job! One thing I wanted to suggest, have you ever had your body fat measured by a professional using a caliper? My dr. tried to tell me that I need to be at 125 at 5'2". I have never been that small in my life since puberty. I'm currently using a local meal delivery service, its owned by a professional body builder and gym owner in my area. He measures both my husband and me ever 3 weeks, he does body measurements, weight and skinfold measurements with a caliper. The first day I met him he asked me what my goal was, and I said 155, he looked at me like I was crazy then asked how much I weighed. I told him 198lbs. He made me get on the scale. When he did my body fat measurements and called me the next day he said he and I will never be able to use the BMI chart bc it does not account for how much lean body mass you have. He told me at the time that I had 121 lbs of lean mas which means that I WILL NEVER BE 125lbs, unless I lose muscle tone. Heck no! He said at 155 I would be at 22% body fat that's considered FIT. The first three weeks I lost 9 lbs of fat and GAINED 2lbs of muscle. So now my goal weight is 160, that's 23% body fat. I think some people just have a leaner body than they realize. The number on the scale is NOT as important as your FIT LEVEL.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly, but your husband may just want a little extra to hold onto. :-) (One of my best friends is about your size and that's what her husband had said to her). In the end it's up to you, as long as you continue to do things healthfully.
  • meljane28
    meljane28 Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't understand why people always feel the need to make comments like "you're wasting away" and tell others not to lose any more weight- unless of course someone looks emaciated or sickly! It's a personal decision and you should do what you feel comfortable and are happy with!!:smile: And you look GREAT, fantastic job!!!
  • AllNewMelanie
    AllNewMelanie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes I have had my BF% checked and I am at 24% when I started I was at 40% YIKES!! My goal is to be at 20% body fat which I think is a fitness level but thats what I want... I want to be toned and fit looking.... :O) I am not going to give up my any means, I love weight training and HIIT that I could never give it up...
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and just now a little under where you started. I already have people telling me not to lose anymore. I've decided that it has way less to do with how much you may (or may not) need to lose and much more to do with them seeing a big change and not wanting you to change more. BUT, it's not up to anyone else. It's up to you. I think you look great as you are, but I definitely don't think you'd be unhealthy if you went a little lower. I'd try to get an accurrate body fat % and go more by that than the scale though.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Only you can determine when to stop. When your body fat is at a healthy percentage (I obviously don't know where you're sitting with that right now), then is a good time to re-evaluate. Don't listen to some arbitrarial chart that was meant to be a guideline for a population and not individuals. Focus on you. You're the only one that matters in this.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I think you have done an amazing job! One thing I wanted to suggest, have you ever had your body fat measured by a professional using a caliper? My dr. tried to tell me that I need to be at 125 at 5'2". I have never been that small in my life since puberty. I'm currently using a local meal delivery service, its owned by a professional body builder and gym owner in my area. He measures both my husband and me ever 3 weeks, he does body measurements, weight and skinfold measurements with a caliper. The first day I met him he asked me what my goal was, and I said 155, he looked at me like I was crazy then asked how much I weighed. I told him 198lbs. He made me get on the scale. When he did my body fat measurements and called me the next day he said he and I will never be able to use the BMI chart bc it does not account for how much lean body mass you have. He told me at the time that I had 121 lbs of lean mas which means that I WILL NEVER BE 125lbs, unless I lose muscle tone. Heck no! He said at 155 I would be at 22% body fat that's considered FIT. The first three weeks I lost 9 lbs of fat and GAINED 2lbs of muscle. So now my goal weight is 160, that's 23% body fat. I think some people just have a leaner body than they realize. The number on the scale is NOT as important as your FIT LEVEL.

Agree whole-heartedly. My fiancee's mother did a medically supervised weight loss program and they told her that to have a healthy body fat %, she shouldn't go below 175. She's 5'5" tall. I know that has to be either overweight or obese by BMI standards, since my goal at 5'9" is 170 and that's at the highest end of normal for my frame.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You look great.

If the weight keeps melting off naturally. I would say get to a healthy # on your chart. That is just their way of saying "you look amazing and I can't imagine you any better than you already are." Take it to the next level girl!
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Great job on your weight loss! I'm 5'3" and I started my weight loss journey at about the weight you are now and I did not look as good as you (I didn't look good at all). Your hard work is paying off. It's your body, so if you want to lose more weight, then do so. Go by how you feel and what you're comfortable with. When I was about 140 lbs I was told I was too skinny. I still felt out of shape and did not like how I looked in pictures. I still continue my fitness journey (not trying to lose weight anymore, working on building muscle) and at 125 lbs, I feel comfortable and more confident in my own skin. So do what you are comfortable with at least you are doing it the healthy way!
  • Jennrunns
    Jennrunns Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You might just have heavier bones. Some people do. I have a friend who is taller than me and we look about the same size but she always weighs much less. So keep that in mind if you don't get down to 135. You do look great and some of those charts do not account for muscle weight which you have if you are working out and especially if you are lifting. Funny, women lift and want to get smaller. Men lift and want to get bigger. :-) Just take it easy, keep up the healthy habits and be very proud in your healthy body that you have now and you healthy lifestyle!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    You look great!

I think sometimes the people who love us are used to seeing us bigger...so when we lose a lot of weight, they may perceive us as being too thin only because they have not seen us thin before and they think of us as bigger people.

If they were to see a stranger with your exact body type, my guess is that they would not think that person is "too thin".
  • zengurl72
    zengurl72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and currently weigh 184 lbs. I topped the scale at 204 in December, and January started my new lifestyle. When I went to the gym and met the personal trainer for the first time, he asked me what my goals were.... I told him I wanted to lose a few pounds but I was more into toning and feeling better. He got indignant with me and threw a fit when I said I didnt want to go below 165. I have been 165 and was healthy and felt good, thats where I think I look best. My "ideal" weight is supposed to be something crazy like 112-124. I could never imagine myself at that weight! The moral of this story is... you have to be happy with yourself and your choice to maintain or lose more. No one else should make that choice for you!

With that being said..... now my opinion...... Congrats on the weightloss! Thats a wonderful achievement! You look good now at your current weight, but you could use tightening and toning. I think the rest will fall into place once you start focusing on that instead of weight loss. Again... this is just my opinion......
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look wonderful:)

As many others have said, do what feels right for YOU! :)
  • novaBYnature
    Options
    You look great!

When in doubt consult a doctor. Those charts are made for grand sweeping generalizations. As individuals we are all different. You are beautiful but if you want to keep going without any doubts you are doing the right thing get a check up.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Stop where you feel comfortable,not your family and NOT charts.

Weight looks different on different people.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think you aren't going to get many definitive responses like "Yes, stop losing" or "you need to lose more" because if you didn't lose another pound, you DO look really good. I don't mean in comparison to your old self, I mean you just look really good, right now, as is.
    that being said, You don't look too skinny and you have a nice, healthy butt that men probably love but if you lost more, that would get a little smaller and no harm done.
    It really is a matter of what you want right now but nomatter what you do, congrats! you look great. :)
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says you have done a great job and are looking wonderful. I also agree with those who say you need to do what feels great for you.

BUT, you DID ask for opinions and here's mine. I think you could stand to lose a bit more. 5, 10, 15? I am not sure. Maybe do 5 lbs at a time and reassess? You could go about life as you are and be fine, no doubt. It's up to you how far you want to take it.

Again folks, she asked for opinions and this is mine. OP, your hard work shows. Congrats to you!

I agree. You have clearly done a lot of hard work, and it shows! Go you!

But, as a complete stranger to you - there is definitely further you could go. Now, whether that means "losing more weight", or "gaining more muscle/losing more inches" - that's up to you. Your actual weight may or may not hit 135 (bone density and lean mass will certainly factor in) - but I don't think that's an unreasonable goal. Losing another size (or maybe two!) definitely looks do-able, to me. Judging by the results some other MFPers have gotten by lifting heavy, I'd recommend that.

I'm 5'1", and my goal is 110-115, with a small bone structure. 135 on *me* is at the top end of overweight, and it looks it. On you, with another couple of inches on me (and what looks like a medium bone structure?), a toned 135-140 would probably look really great.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    So I am in my journey just about 7 months and boy has been a very hard and emotional journey. I never thought when I lose weight that I would be so hard on my self...

First of all, you look beautiful right now. I agree with everyone who believes that you get to be the one to decide where you want to be and no one else. However, it's possible that the people around you who love you are worried about you, especially if you are being extra hard on yourself. Be careful about this. Your goal of 135 is just fine and perfectly healthy, if that is what you want. And you are just fine and perfectly healthy right now, as well!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!