What was your "A-ha!" moment?

Options
I didn't really have a trigger, I just realized I'd be so much happier.

What changed your mentality? What's made you stick with it? How do you deal with others around you, loved ones, living like you used to?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I started realizing all my dress pants for work were WAY too tight... I popped a button on one and that was kind of like "Aw man...waaaaaait" but it still didn't cause anything. The thing that really was the A-ha for me ... last time I'd weighed was about October and I was 160 so I figured that's where I was at when I went for my first ob-gyn appointment in December. The scale read 180. I immediately decided to eat better. What's funny is I had just had Subway before my appointment (and I'm sure I wasn't exactly 180 because of that since I'd just eaten but I'm sure it wasn't far off). I started eating better and immediately got on a 1 week trial for the gym I use now. I went as much as I could and knew I had to stick with it.

What's made me stick with it is just the fact that I was able to gain 30 lbs in 3 months. That's ridiculous. I obviously can't live the life I was before and I feel SO much better so why would I ever go back??? I deal with others as I go... it's every step at a time. My boyfriend, his brother, and our roommate all have their junk food in the house but I'm usually okay if I keep the fridge & pantry stocked with MY healthy foods. Of course the Doritos still get the best of me, but before the last couple weeks, I was fine. I just have to be better at keeping snacks of my own on the weekend (and NOT let my food get eaten and not go shopping).
  • sbarham
    sbarham Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just do it because I feel like I have no choice (in a good way). When I'm so unhappy with my weight and how I look and feel, it affects EVERYTHING else in my life negatively. I don't want to live my whole life miserable about something I can change!!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I sort of had an ah-ha! moment. I was trying to buy work clothes for my new job in February of this year and I couldn't find work pants that fit in any of the regular stores that I shop at. Not to knock lane Bryant, but I've never had to shop there and my mom hauled me in there and made me try on pants. Needless to say I had a bit of a hissy fit and realized I've got to get down to normal sizes again (and then some). So once I started my job, I just started a whole new routine with it. Working out every day after work and eating better. Since it was a whole bunch of change at once, it was easier. I did manage to find dress pants in JCPenney, size 16. Not a single pair fits now... I'm a size 14P at the moment and shrinking rapidly. My size 14 legging-like jeans right now are almost too big in the waist and I bought them at the end of April. I have been overweight my entire life, but it was really just this winter that I realized I could totally do something about it, and it's mainly a result of laziness that I was like that this whole time.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    The pic of me at a fall party a couple years back. I looked like a #*$in' Walrus. That did it. Lookit my pics,,, it's in there.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have a trigger, I just realized I'd be so much happier.

What changed your mentality? What's made you stick with it? How do you deal with others around you, loved ones, living like you used to?

Ack, I hated the way my flabby waist drooped over my waistbands and you know those little crop top things? Well I adore wearing those, but I looked ridiculous in them!

My own crunch finally happened though, when I went to buy some jeans and bought a size 16 which is the biggest I have ever been. It wasn't the size 16 that worried me so much, it was the way the weight was creeping on over the months and I realized then that if I didn't do anything about it, by this time next year, I could very well be in size 18 or 20.

Discovering MFP has been a lifeline for me :love:
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My moment came when my legs and feet were swollen up like sausages and I could barely walk. I realized that my health was in jeopardy and it was time to do something about it.

The hardest part is that my husband and kids are so thin and they do not have to worry about their weight so they dont understand why I am trying to make them eat healthy! I just keep plugging away at it though!
  • taalibahdenise
    Options
    A size 16 pant in Lerner's and a size 18 coat in Century 21! And noone around to blame but me, myself, and I.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    seeing results was simply my aha I can do this moment..... Watching the scale climb and seeing myself as a heavy person was also my A-ha I better do something moment...

however now I am past my halfway mark and its getting a little slower but I will not give up! I really want to get down to my goal weight and when I get there I hope I can maintain it- not everyone can go by the BMI chart only and it work out for them... but I am heading that way!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    My A-ha Moment was back in January when I went with a friend of mine for her to weigh in and I jokingly stepped on the scale and saw what I weighed and almost died! I didn't know if I wanted to run screaming or cry or faint from that dreaded number. It was then and there that I chose to join my friend in the weightloss journey using MFP that she introduced me to.

I guess it was the realization that if I didn't change something that I was going to die and that was the bottom line. I don't want to be overweight anymore and I don't want to die at the age of 69 like my Mom. i wanted to be healthy and I want to be around for as long as I can and I want my Nephews, neices, great nephews, and great neices to know me and spend time with me. Most of all I dont want to make my Husband a Widower. We have seen enough loss in our lives that I should do this for me but if I won't do it for me then I need to do it for the ones that I love.

So I guess when you are faced with the reality of it all. When you have hit rock bottom. There is only one choice left. that is to do this and be healthier and live a full life and show the ones that you love that you care enough to make a change!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    My "A-ha!" moment was last December at my doctor appointment. I almost started to cry when the scale screamed 204 at me but I don't think that even did it for me. When my doctor told me all the complications that I would have if I got pregnant at that weight was my wake up call. Having a healthy pregnancy and baby is what made me stick with it in the beginning. Now that I'm a little more than 1/2 way to my goal, the way that I look and feel is keeping my going. I have so much more energy and according to my husband I'm much happier than I was 6 months ago.

I've been really lucky in the support department. My husband is really supportive of the changes I'm made. He has no issues with me cooking healthier and walks with me almost every night after dinner. My family and most of my friends are really supportive too - I got one of my best friends to join MFP and she's already lost over 20 pounds! I do have some not so supportive people in my life but for the most part I just block out the negativity. I'm not doing this for them anyway.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I walk with a cane because of nerve damage in my back. My weight makes it worse. My a-ha moment came late last year when I found myself shopping online for a walker and/or scooter. I realized then that this was my chance to make the changes I needed to make. I promised myself 2 things at that time - first, that I would never become diabetic. Second, that I would never, ever be a fat person in a scooter.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    A picture of me and my friend Allison that you can see in my pics. Like others, the weight had slowly crept up over a couple months, compounded by a breakup of the (at the time) longest relationship I'd ever been in. I'd always been in the 150s and was astounded to find that I wasn't the "slightly heavier 160" that I thought I was....I was 175 lbs!! According to BMI, I was obese. As someone already mentioned, the BMI doesn't work for a lot of people, but it was still part of my wake-up call.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i always complained about little rolls here and there but never wanted to put in the actual consistent effort needed to do anything about it...but then my work pants started to get a bit too tight and i went to buy new jeans in my usual size and they were too tight also...a friend introduced me to mfp and it has been exactly what i needed...a way to keep myself accountable and a way to see just how terrible i was treating my body...i've stuck with it because i've seen actual changes in my body and pants size...and other people have noticed too :) i eat a lot healthier and pay attention to my portion sizes more but i indulge when i feel the urge the difference now is that the only price i pay is an extra workout! :)
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    Initially it started as preparation for the Florida vacation I just got back from on Sunday. A year ago I went to Hawaii and felt embarrassed in a "mom" swimsuit. I didn't want to feel that way again at the beach and was in fact starting out 10 lbs heavier than I was in Hawaii!
    I knew 3 1/2 months wasn't enough time to get into a bikini, but I was determined to try my hardest and at least feel confident and proud of myself for succeeding.
    The underlying motivation though, was to have more energy for my family. I want to be a fun mom, who plays with her kids rather than sitting on the "sidelines". I want my husband to be proud of my hard-work as well.

Recently, I just got off track for about a month & instead of overeating and beating myself up over it, I'm starting again. I'm sure I've gained some weight this month but I *know* I'm nowhere near what I was 4 months ago and that's encouraging. I just had to smack myself in the head today, log on here and get things going again!
  • brandythixton
    Options
    At the beginning of my marriage (when I was much thinner) my husband made only one request of me: to stay healthy. My family has a history of morbid obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Disease and (of course) early death. My sweet husband wanted (and wants) for me to be healthy and active so that we could raise our children actively and then grow old together.

I have not held up my end of the bargain. I am currently 120 pounds over my healthy weight range (and 120 pounds heavier than I was the day we got married).

My "ah-ha" moment came a month ago. For his birthday, my husband sat me down and gently told me that he didn't want any presents. He just wanted me to promise him that I would start taking better care of myself.

I love him so much, and it broke my heart that I haven't kept my first promise to him (that I would STAY healthy). So, in order to show him how much I love him, I am DETERMINED to become more active and cut out calories.

It's not about my weight. We both feel that I am beautiful. It is about living a long life with him.
  • 2daughtermom
    Options
    I haven't seen under 200 pounds for 28 years. I've had a-ha moments before, but I could never get the will power to stick with it. I think the final a-ha moment came after I joined MFP and started counting my calories. Yes, I know I had to watch my calories, but I have never sat down and really COUNTED them. Once I realized the calories I was eating versus the calories I AM eating now and actually seeing them "written down on paper", THAT was the a-ha moment for me. I was like "WOW, this calorie counting thing really works". I was on a diet before I joined MFP and lost 7 pounds. Since I've been on this site, I've lost another 19 pounds.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My "A-ha!" moment was actually a series of things happening all at once:

1) I went for my first gyno appointment and was diagnosed with PCOS. He told me losing 30 pounds would help me a lot. PCOS can also cause diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. I already had that in my genetics- I didn't want to fuel the fire anymore. Also, losing weight would help me not rupture any more cysts on my ovaries (which are EXTREMELY painful).

2) I was dress shopping for a very special night... I saw the most beautiful dress in the whole world. I ran to it, and checked the sizes. It only had it in size 2, 12, 24. I swore I would never be a size 24, and I know a 2 is just not possible for my body frame- but I could easily wear a 12 if I lost some weight.

3) A very close friend said on her Facebook that she hates fat people, and they're just disgusting to her. I could only stare at the computer and think "Is she talking about me?"
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had spent most of my life in the healthy range of the BMI, then in my late twenties/early thirties slowly moved up the overweight ladder. When I went for my yearly MD appt. in March, I found out that I had made it to the obese range. Needless to say, I left the doctor's office feeling utterly depressed. I never weighed myself because I never wanted to know that number. Even if you know you've been gaining a ton of weight, it's different to actually have it confirmed in that manner. Anyway, I found out about MFP through one of my friend's Facebook threads and was curious....I started out here in April and I haven't looked back. In terms of an A-ha moment that kept me motivated to keep going was when I realized how much better I felt and how much more energy I had than before. The bottom line is that I had been unhappy with myself for quite some time and knew that I had to lose weight to regain that happiness. It just took that visit to the doctor to give me the wake up call to finally do something about it.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    3) A very close friend said on her Facebook that she hates fat people, and they're just disgusting to her. I could only stare at the computer and think "Is she talking about me?"

I have to admit that I've had that thought, though I would never post it on Facebook! I've never even mentioned it before now. I know that, in my case at least, it's completely a psychological, fear-driven response. I have an aunt that I think she might be larger around than she is tall, and my worse fear is to end up like that. I'm so afraid that I'm going to be morbidly obese that I just can't stand it when people are excessively fat. My thoughts usually center around "why don't you do something?!?" I bus to and from work, and I sometimes see very large people that quite literally take up 2 seats or more, and my Freudian thought is "well that's just rude!" I know I'm terrible for thinking these things, but at least I'm being honest about how I feel and why I have these thoughts.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Growing up I was always skinny (5'9", w/29 in waist, 36" inseam) and could out eat my dad and brother without gaining weight. I was fairly active and in HS it helped that my classes in HS were always on the opposite end of campus which made me walk a LOT. College was the same way and I was also in ROTC so I had mandatory PT 3x week. When I commissioned and came on active duty, my first assignment was sort of sedentary, but I still had my PT 3x week. But then my second year in I became an exec and it was completely sedentary, 10-12 hr days and no PT to speak of (bad on my part). That's when I gained most of my weight. I was still within my weight range to get max points for BMI on my fitness test so I wasn't in any huge hurry to make any changes. That, and I kept telling myself it was a healthier weight for my height than where I was in HS/college.

I weighed myself one time to find I was 2 lbs over the max weight for me to get max points and I put myself on a "diet" so to speak. Basically it was making "healthier" choices at the fast food restaurants we went to and a few other minor changes. When I met my goal, made my points and passed, I went back to how I'd been eating,having gone from a size 4, jumping to an 8, then 10, then 12.

Fast forward to Jan to my ah'ha moment. I'm in a new city, new unit, new job, and again, with no PT program to speak of. We got a new Unit Physical Fitness Manager and she starts making changes to the program and takes the at risk of failing or failing Airmen and puts them on a 5x week PT program. She also introducted them to MFP to have them track their food to help them lose weight. Being her supervisor I created an account just to see what MFP was and to know what they would be using. My first act after logging into MFP was to log my breakfast and lunch for that day. HOLY CRAP!!! That was when the lightbulb came on for me and I realized exactly why I'd been putting on weight. That day I decided to use MFP to lose the weight I gained and get back on track with a PT regimen.

With the exception of 7 days I was on a cruise w/no internet access, I have logged on ever single day since 15 Jan, lost 24 lbs and am back down to a size 4! I do PT 6 days a week, finished P90X and got my first ever Excellent on my PT test in April :bigsmile: And now that I know what I'd done wrong, there's no way I can let myself go backwards because my brain is just wired in a way that it won't let me! Thanks to MFP for this awesome tool!

Sorry for the mini novel :blushing: